Outdoors
Sponsored by

Market for osage orange?

2,272 Views | 21 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by CapitalFarmCredit
agincs93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Anyone know of any mills that purchase this? Preferably in the East Texas area

Thank you
cr
There are no saws that can cut that stuff, so no mills.
agrams
AG
how much/what size are your logs?
BCStalk
I don't know of any that will run it through. We had a small amount we wanted done, and no one would touch it. Ended up cutting it up ourselves to get to a workable size. Stuff is no joke, and even wore out some of our carbide tooling. I really like the natural stain color it has.
Old Town Ag
AG
Were in Texas. They are called Bois-D'arc.
BCStalk
Old Town Ag said:

Don't be getting all fancy, it's bodark.
agincs93
I have about a dozen 8-10 foot long 9" in diameter. Another dozen or so a tad bit smaller
GSS
BCStalk said:

Old Town Ag said:

Horse apple!
NRA Life
TSRA Life
rather be fishing
AG
agincs93 said:

I have about a dozen 8-10 foot long 9" in diameter. Another dozen or so a tad bit smaller

Let them grow a couple more decades.
agincs93
They are cut and have been under the barn for over a year. Removed for a fenceline
aggiedoc100
AG
those are called fence posts
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
spud1910
AG
aggiedoc100 said:

those are called fence posts
My dad got the idea one summer to save some money by buying the cheapest staples he could find and having his 16 year old son build fence with bois d'arc posts cut off my grandparents land. Every single staple had to be checked to make the points parallel or they would spread rather than go in. And some were so dull, they wouldn't go in at all. But 40 years later, they are still there.
Knucklesammich
...like a bodark fence post you could hang a pipe rail gate from and do some sister twisters gonna have ourselves a time.
agincs93
already have fence posts. looking for a mill that accepts bodark (preferably East TX area).
tree91
AG
It was cut a year ago so it is dry Bois D'arc? You might need dynamite to cut it.

Good luck finding a mill willing to waste its blades.
rather be fishing
AG
You could make some bows of wood from them.
Log
AG
BCStalk said:

Old Town Ag said:

This guy gets it.
agrams
AG
I've milled and turned it before. it is mean on blades, but no worse than some other woods. my worst tree ever milling was a big oak. i had to sharpen/replace a chain nearly every cut, and I wasnt even hitting metal.

those are smaller though. try the sawmill in mt enterprise/alto or Phillip's forest products in DeKalb. Harden sawmill in sanger may be out of your way, but they often mill osage.

1 year won't be enough to dry it significantly. I bet if you cut off 3-5" from the end it is about as green as the day it was felled.
A.G.S.
AG
I may buy one of em off of ya if you're interested.

Need to make a decorative mallet and I wouldn't mind splitting it out into staves for when I get bored either.

I'm in Bryan.
Tree Hugger
AG
agrams said:

how much/what size are your logs?

That seems like an awful personal question for the OB
yaterag
AG
I cut down 6 trees of Osage last weekend. 12-18" diameter. If anyone wants a few scraps and want to drive to Kansas feel free.

I use it constantly for woodworking since I have an unlimited supply. It will eat through a carbide turning tip faster than you can get a big bowl done, but it is beautiful wood with a clear coat on it.
TwoMarksHand
AG
Knucklesammich said:

...like a bodark fence post you could hang a pipe rail gate from and do some sister twisters gonna have ourselves a time.
You, my friend, have great taste in music
CapitalFarmCredit
Sponsor
Username checks out.
Sponsor Message:Whether looking to become a rural land owner, buy that ideal hunting property or finance your farm or ranching operation- with Capital Farm Credit, you're covered.
And our patronage dividend program means we share our profits and put money back in your pocket.

Together we’re better. Call 877-944-5500 or visit https://www.capitalfarmcredit.com/ to find out how.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.