Outdoors
Sponsored by

Anyone ever been followed before?

8,575 Views | 64 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Touchscreen
jakester03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I was followed on Monday. I'm 100% sure.

Met a buddy for lunch. I notice this guy in a late model silverado pull up and park in a fire lane and runs into the restaurant. I remember the guy because he was head to toe in Patriots gear (hat, Brady jersey, etc). Had no interaction with the guy, but my buddy and I did look at each other and kind of roll our eyes at dude parking in fire lane when there's plenty of spots.

Anyway, I leave. Truck is behind me. Drive all the way to my office and he's still behind me. Note that I work in an office strip that has only a couple of businesses. Now I usually park behind the building, so there's even fewer cars there.

I circle around back and he's still behind me. My spidey senses are tingling so I decide to circle the building twice. Still behind me.

I have my LTC, but at this point I figured my best bet was to call the cops so I did. Dude sees me on the phone and takes off. Hindsight I should have tried to grab his license plate, but I was pretty freaked out at the time.

Anyone had anything like that happen to you? Anything else I should've done?
LSB_2002
AG
OB knows things! Should've gotten the plate!

Glad things worked out for you! Scary for sure!
BCStalk
I had a SUV following me a few months ago. Definitely threw some red flags. Once I stopped at a light, it ended up being a lady who was trying to flag me down to let me know my brake light was out. I won't say that having my pistol didn't cross my mind, but I definitely wanted a better idea of what was going on before I jumped to conclusions. I was very thankful for the lady letting me know. If I ever have a concern, I would do exactly what you did and contact the police. Better to let them handle the situation then having to pay a bunch of legal fees and possibly jail time.
AggieClays
AG
Did you by any chance leave your glasses/credit card/misc item at the restaurant and he was trying to return it? Don't know why he would, but just a thought.
jakester03
AG
I thought about that, but I figured he would've maybe honked or gotten closer. He stayed about 20 yards back the whole time.
IDAGG
AG
What do you think the reason is for him following you? Did he see the eye roll and was upset at the "dis"?

Is there some other reason? Just curious. Seems like an amateur as he was pretty obvious. If he was following you for the eye roll, that is a bit scary as he went through all that trouble for a pretty minor act. Definitely unbalanced individual if that is the case.
A.G.S.
AG
IDAGG said:

Definitely unbalanced individual if that is the case.
Well he was a pats fan......
jakester03
AG
IDAGG said:

What do you think the reason is for him following you? Did he see the eye roll and was upset at the "dis"?

Is there some other reason? Just curious. Seems like an amateur as he was pretty obvious. If he was following you for the eye roll, that is a bit scary as he went through all that trouble for a pretty minor act. Definitely unbalanced individual if that is the case.

That's the only thing I can think of. I literally said zero words to the guy. When I talked to the cops they said the guy may have had a warrant or been wanted for some reason and thought I recognized him. That's pretty darn scary to think about.
IDAGG
AG
jakester03 said:

I have my LTC, but at this point I figured my best bet was to call the cops so I did. Dude sees me on the phone and takes off. Hindsight I should have tried to grab his license plate, but I was pretty freaked out at the time.

Anyone had anything like that happen to you? Anything else I should've done?
I don't think any of us are used to being followed so I can't critique anything you did or didn't do. I will say this guy may suspect you work at that office building so you may just want to keep an eye out for that truck as you come and go. At least for a few days. Having said that, I really doubt he comes back. It's not like he has had a long standing grudge with you. He may have been upset temporarily.

Now if that truck had a 12" lift and was a diesel with stacks, I would be very worried that he and his small peenus would be back to prove his manhood...
BaitShack
AG
Some guy followed me for around 15 miles out in the country. I made all kinds of turns, sped up, slowed down to see what he would do and he stuck with me. Eventually I turned on what I knew was a dead end road (probably not the smartest thing). At the end of the road I stopped and started turning around. He saw me turning, and promptly turned around himself and broke contact.
45-70Ag
AG
My sister in law was followed
Her neighbor is a state trooper, she called him on his cell and within minutes he had one state trooper and one sheriffs deputy pull the guy over.

He admitted to following her to see where she lived. He was arrested.

This world sucks
MouthBQ98
AG
Not a pro like a PI or officer of some kind.
HarleySpoon
AG
Everything good with the wife? Any new life insurance policies put in place?

Not dating a married woman?

Didn't find a bag of cash in the desert?

Never worked for the Clinton campaign?

FSGuide
Over the last 20 years as a PI I've been followed numerous times. Most of the time it happens after I've been "burned" on a case. On a handful of occasions I've been followed by other PI's who were hired by the client as a Checks & Balances type of thing. Each time I know I'm being followed I try to lose them at a traffic light but I always drive to the nearest police station. Ive never had anyone continue after I get there. They always leave.
average_joker
AG
I won't turn into my driveway if someone has been behind me for two or more turns and I don't recognize them, just not worth the risk to me.
Talon2DSO
AG
I have but I went through some serious training for it.
"Life's tough, but I'm tougher."
PFG
AG
I was nearly abducted by 2 females after a night at Bernie's in Port A.

But thats a diff story.
AggieStout
AG
PFG said:

But thats a diff story.

Bernie's is the spot.
91AggieLawyer
AG
If you want an education on tailing or being tailed, grab the entire DVD series of The Rockford Files, a 70s TV detective show. Yeah, I know it is Hollywood, but some of the stunts he pulls to get away or to stay on someone are pretty creative. Just about every episode, he is chased by someone.
jakester03
AG
HarleySpoon said:

Everything good with the wife? Any new life insurance policies put in place?

Not dating a married woman?

Didn't find a bag of cash in the desert?

Yes. No. No. I wish. I'm still alive so no.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
He knew you hated Tom Brady.

88planoAg
AG
Do you have your OB sticker on your car? That should've scared them off.
JSKolache
AG
Did you go to a bank/ATM before lunch? Maybe he wanted to jug you
PharmD4
AG
Several years ago living in West University for grad school, about 10 pm had a truck follow me into our apartment complex (gate code but followed me in when it opened) all the way to my parking spot. I was backing in and he pulled in front of my truck and shined a spotlight in my face.

I immediately grabbed my P226, opened the door and asked what he was doing...and I guess he realized he had the wrong fella and took off.

It was pretty sketchy, and it made me realize that I wasn't at all prepared for getting blasted in the face with 3 million candlepower. It was totally disorienting. Still don't have a great defense for that situation to be honest...

Edit to say: Never actually exposed the handgun; I stayed behind the open door of my truck
rather be fishing
AG
Do you work for State Farm?
Strongweasel97
AG
jakester03 said:

HarleySpoon said:

I'm still alive so no.
Bravo.
Bitter Old Man
AG
PFG said:

But thats a diff story.
Stop, Stop! Hold on. Can we get a thread on this please?
PFG
AG
I'll tell the story later. Its worthy of all things Bernie's and Port A.
Hoss
AG
Guy must've been a rookie. When I follow people they never know it.
CharlieBrown17
AG
jakester03 said:

I thought about that, but I figured he would've maybe honked or gotten closer. He stayed about 20 yards back the whole time.

That's a pretty ****ty tail. Someone must not want you that dead.

Or they want it to be messy and probably unnecessarily painful for you.
Hoss
AG
Irish_Man said:

Her neighbor is a state trooper, she called him on his cell and within minutes he had one state trooper and one sheriffs deputy pull the guy over.

This world sucks

Arrested for what? Wouldnt be stalking as it has to happen more than once to meet the definition in Texas. Maybe he had a warrant for something else?
45-70Ag
AG
Hoss said:

Irish_Man said:

This world sucks

Arrested for what? Wouldnt be stalking as it has to happen more than once to meet the definition in Texas. Maybe he had a warrant for something else?

It's been several years but i believe he had multiple warrants and one of them was for a violent crime. I'd have to ask her.
Hoss
AG
That would do it.
ShouldastayedataTm
When I was working in the home health arena in Houston I occassionally was followed (particularly in the 3rd and 4th wards) as I was seeing patients. Even got cut off and blocked in once, but I had already called the cops and they rolled right up on the intersection about the time folks were getting out of their vehicles and headed towards mine. Scared the piss out of me. After that incident the company decided we did not need to drive the corporate cars with the big medical logos on them or wear scrubs when we saw patients in those two areas.
NRH ag 10
AG
I posted about it on here before:

Was riding my motorcycle to work on 635, some ******* who's lane ended decided he didn't want to yield and is even with me driving on the shoulder. I sped up a bit to get out out the line of fire and gave him a palm up "WTF?" symbol. He proceeded to speed up to catch me so I dropped him, only to see him a few cars behind me in a minute or two. I kept going at speeds the fast side of normal commute traffic, then got to an exit where you could get back on the highway without having to stop or go through a light, he followed. I exited again a few stops before work, could see the light at the cross street was red and gunned it to be at the light well before him so I could see what he was going to do. He ended up taking the u-turn underpass to get back on the highway heading the opposite direction.

My new friend did all this with a vanity plate that was his first name and last initial in a very distinct vehicle. With the help of the OB I had his name within an hour of getting to work, and from there I was able to find his address, phone, business, and arrest records. I mailed a letter to his home saying I do not appreciate being followed and if we saw each other on the road again he should go a different direction or I would consider it a threat. I also mentioned he had seemed to get his act together compared to the bad old days where he got a arrested a few times and it would be a shame if he ended up trading in his nice gated community in Midway Hollow for a visit to DSO jail.

Never saw him again.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.