Outdoors
Sponsored by

Sous Vide, Anyone, Anyone

5,201 Views | 41 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Superdave1993
Mark Fairchild
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Just ordered my first Sous Vide controller, the Anova Culinary. Anyone done, doing, plan to do Sous Vide? Any tips or tricks to know? Do ya like it? What are you using to sear steak after the sous vide cook? Thanks!
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
AG1904
AG
Got a bag full of carnitas cooking right now. Best sear method I've found is a super hot cast iron skillet. I like to heat it up on my grill to avoid smoke in the house.
HumbleAg04
AG
Have same one. Agree on cast iron. Enjoy.
MGS
Great thread about it on the F&S board.

https://texags.com/forums/67/topics/2273978/1
Mark Fairchild
AG
Thanks, just what I needed!
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
JCA1
AG
Pork belly. 180 degrees. 24 hours. It'll be a gelatinous mess when you pull it out so you have to refrigerate it to firm it back up. Cut into cubes then sear. Awesome.

Skirt steak is also a good cut to use. Much more tender after 12 hours at around 125 degrees.
JCA1
AG
For post sous vide sear on something I don't want to continue to cook internally, I like a propane torch. And it's just cool to finish your steak with a propane torch.
Courtesy Flush
AG
MGS said:

Great thread about it on the F&S board.

https://texags.com/forums/67/topics/2273978/1

That was my thread and I had no idea it was still going from 2013. I got one myself in 2016. They are great and very versatile but I think where sous vide works great is on chicken breast. It is hard to keep a chicken breast moist without adding a bunch of butter or bacon but if you put it in sous vide, it stays very moist. I always tell people to try chicken breast first and then venture into beef and pork.
Colonel A. 1976
AG
Ditto on the chicken breast being great, season, bag, and place in sous vide...shred while in the bag when done...street taco...also flank steak stays moist and tender done the same way.

I am very tempted to do a prime rib roast in the water and then place on smoker to flavor outside and sear for looks...not brave enough yet!
Col. A 1976
SpiderD02
AG
Thanks for this question and link. Got one for Father's day but didn't want to incur the wrath of the boil in a bag haters on the Father's day thread.
80sGeorge
AG
Really like it for seafood. Shrimp always come out perfect and salmon is great too.

Thanks for pork belly tip. Just did the smoked version and now wondering if I could smoke some and finish in the bath. Or vice versa?

Another fave is ribeye finished over the charcoal chimney. About 1.5-2 mins per side.
JCA1
AG
80sGeorge said:

Really like it for seafood. Shrimp always come out perfect and salmon is great too.

Thanks for pork belly tip. Just did the smoked version and now wondering if I could smoke some and finish in the bath. Or vice versa?

Another fave is ribeye finished over the charcoal chimney. About 1.5-2 mins per side.

I have one of those stovetop woodchip smokers that I put a pork belly in for about 30 minutes then bagged and dropped in the sous vide. Even though it was only 30 minutes, it definitetly imparted some smoke.
ConstructionAg01
AG
Sous vide works so well that it is like cheating. It has taken steaks, venison, brisket, pork loin, and chicken to a whole other level for us with less work and stress during the cook. I'm looking forward to trying other stuff as well, just haven't yet.

Tips: Start with hot water, it will reduce the time the Anova takes to get the large water bath to temp.
Small ice chests work well. Food Saver bags are great, but they are expensive and you'll find that heavy duty ziplock bags work just as well. Season in the bag, but also re-season before the sear.

I've only seared over hot coals or on cast iron. Haven't tried the torch yet, but might add it to the arsenal one day for fish or seafood.

NRH ag 10
AG
I've been using an Anova for about 9 months and absolutely love it. It makes cooking game meat so much easier. My buddy who turned me on to it uses a propane torch for the sear, I don't have one yet so I use a cast iron with butter to get a good crust. I will pat the meat dry before searing to help get a better crust.

I've also put what I want to cook in with a bunch of ice in the morning, and then because I have the wifi model, will turn it one with my phone, get home, sear and eat with no wait.
EFE
AG
Pork chops are another thing like chicken breasts that benefit tremendously from sous vide. I watch for pork loins to go on special at HEB and then cut them thick (1.5"), season, and then vac seal. About once a week that's dinner when the fianc and I are too busy to cook when we first get home. I can toss a chop in the bath and finish my EOD phone calls/shower/make the next days plans all while the chop is soaking in the tub getting all delicious and sexy. Plus gives you time to fiddle with sides and have them come out at the right time and then just sear and plate.
Tx-Ag2010
AG
I've had one for several years and it is easily the most used item in my kitchen. I haven't found a meat that can't be improved by using it.
Van Buren Boy
AG
Serious eats lobster roll recipe
DeWrecking Crew
I got the Anova for Father's Day, made some 24 hr carnitas that were awesome...next up for me is 3 day ribs
NRH ag 10
AG
EFE's post reminded me, you can vac seal stuff with seasoning on it and throw it straight from the freezer to the water bath.
GE
AG
AG1904 said:

Got a bag full of carnitas cooking right now. Best sear method I've found is a super hot cast iron skillet. I like to heat it up on my grill to avoid smoke in the house.
Rather than the grill use a burner like you would use for a crawfish boil and just stick your cast iron right on there. Thank me later.
TX AG 88
AG
After sous vide bath, pat your steaks dry on the outside before finishing them on the stove or grill. A juicy (on the surface) steak will not get a good sear.

There are several "one bag" recipes out there. One I like is pork chops with corn kernels and red/yellow bell peppers.

Don't limit yourself to doing just proteins. There are other worlds. Custards, cheesecakes, egg dishes (protein, I know) etc that benefit from the 1* control you have. Disclaimer: I have not made this leap yet, but it's something I must do.
EFE
AG
GE said:

AG1904 said:

Rather than the grill use a burner like you would use for a crawfish boil and just stick your cast iron right on there. Thank me later.

This is what I do, no oil spatter on the stove top to clean up inside is awesome and you can get the cast iron crazy hot. Need to be wary of smoke points on your oil/butter though, a cheap infrared thermometer is handy to dial in your sweet spot.
Dumpster Fire
I've had one for a few years now.

I echo the chicken and pork chops. Some of the juiciest and tender chicken we've ever had. I made the best steak I've ever had as well.

I did the cheesecake in the mini mason jars and that has been a hit at family dinners for holidays and other parties.

On Saturday mornings I cook eggs all the time. Scrambled, poached etc. so good!

I have the propane torch and sear with that and yes it is just cool to use the torch!
CrockerCock00
AG
I recommend this channel if you're just getting into the sous vide game: Sous Vide Everything

Additionally, something I'll do when smoking food up is to smoke extra stuff up, then vacuum seal it, drop it in the deep freezer, and then when I want to eat it, use the sous vide to bring it back up to temp. It may not have the hard bark on it, but it sure makes a quick smoked meal without the time investment. I've used this for ribs, brisket, and prime rib, all with great success.
awesome sauce
AG
I use my sous vide cooker several times a week. The Serious Eats / Food Lab online guides are awesome for step by step education. Years into sous vide cooking, I still refer back to them regularly.

One tip I have is that for pork chops or chicken, bone and/or skin = flavor. I love straight split chicken breasts. Peel back the skin. Season generously and then stretch the skin back over. After cooking, I remove the skin and bone and eat. I prefer bone-in pork chops >>> over boneless.

For steaks or chops thicker is where sous vide really delivers verses direct grilling. A thick juicy, perfectly-cooked steak with a hard sear crust is as good as it gets. I use a cast iron griddle that I place on my gas grill and heat to 500F+ for searing.
Aggietaco
AG
JCA1 said:

Skirt steak is also a good cut to use. Much more tender after 12 hours at around 125 degrees.
Are you really cooking food at 125*? Sounds like food poisoning waiting to happen.
Tx-Ag2010
AG
Aggietaco said:

JCA1 said:

Are you really cooking food at 125*? Sounds like food poisoning waiting to happen.

No kidding... I wouldn't cook anything more than 4-6 hours if your bath temp is below 129-130F.
Ag_07
AG
I've done a brisket in mine. It's almost too easy

150* for 30 hours then 3 hours of smoke on the pit
Hodor
AG
Love my sous vide, and have been using one for 7-8 years now. Some good suggestions so far.

I'll add a caution...
Don't do a long cook with an acidic marinade. I've done a sauerbraten roast that I thought sounded like a good idea, and the outer layer turned to mush. Didn't really think about it when I made achiote pork with a 24+ hour cook, and the whole thing ended up mush. I assume it was the citrus and vinegar in it.
inch05
AG
i've had a joule for 6 months, now, and it's been great. cheesecake in mason jars is awesome. the youtube channel sous vide everything is great...as is chefsteps.

patting dry is a key step before searing...getting a big enough "tub" is also important when you start to do larger items or cooks.
inch05
AG
someone mentioned starting with hot water, which is a good tip...also cover the container you're using to maintain the temperature more easily and prevent too much evaporation of water.
MW03
AG
Best thing I did for my Anova was build this:

I also converted from the water submersion method to the vacuum sealer about a year ago. Definitely worth it in my opinion.

In my humble opinion, it is the only way to cook a filet. You can get an absolutely perfect edge-to-edge medium rare. Blast your outdoor grill with a cast iron pan in it, toss in a pad of butter and then sear the hell out of it for about 90 seconds a side. As good or better than any filet you can buy in a restaurant. Same thing with a strip.

It excels with chicken and burgers as well. Best part about it is it doesn't really matter if you cook it for 2 hours or 4 with most food, so you can throw it on early, then finish the food whenever a group is ready to eat in a matter of seconds. It's awesome for trying to get food ready for halftime of a game at home. Just put it on before the game starts, let it do it's thing, then about half time finish it and be eating in 10 minutes in time for the 2nd half kick.

I'm flirting with trying to cheat a brisket now that I have a smoker. Sous vide for a couple of days, refrigerate, then smoke for about 6 hours. We'll see.
Ag_07
AG
MW03 said:

I'm flirting with trying to cheat a brisket now that I have a smoker. Sous vide for a couple of days, refrigerate, then smoke for about 6 hours. We'll see.

No need to put in the fridge.

Since it won't fit in the vacuum seal bag whole I separate the point and the flat. Season with salt and pepper, seal em up, then drop it in the bath for 30 hours at 155*. When done put it straight on the pit for 3 hours at 250.

Gets a nice bark and comes out great. Super moist and tender. Obviously doesn't have as much of the smoke flavor but you do get some.

It's awesome for when I don't have a full day to watch the pit or having people over. I enjoy doing it traditionally but now that it's 100* outside it'll be strictly sous vide method until it fall rolls around.
shimmeringshark
AG
Ag_07, how many pounds was your brisket? 150 or 155 sous vide?
MurphyMID
We have been cooking chuck roast in ours. 129 for 28 hours turns them into prime rib...
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.