Outdoors
Sponsored by

Any of you guys own ranches on the border?

31,313 Views | 196 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by WildAg08
Post removed:
by user
Capt. Augustus McCrae
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
If you watch a documentary called "They Come to America" you can kind of get a glimpse.

He interviews ranchers in Texas and Arizona along the border. They say they have to carry a gun every time try to get in their own barns because they'll always find people hiding in there under shelves, etc.

I couldn't imagine having to live like that on your own property in your own country.
Player To Be Named Later
AG
Those guys must not be TexAg OBers. There's no such thing as "HAVE" to carry a gun, right?

Seems like a dream for a lot of folks here to carry a gun everywhere on their property and do tactical building searches everyday.... and get a chance to "shoot someone on muh property, because TEXAS"

Salt of the water
AG
Things get a little interesting around the start of the year.

Well, I met 'em, boys they're from ol' Connor
Cowboy like you've never seen
They're up for anything you want to
Live on steak and refried beans

They bought up half of Southern Texas
It's why they act the way they do
When 'em, boys meet me in Laredo
They think they own Laredo too
The Fife
Some high school friends have family who owned a ranch near the border. They had to sell it a decade ago because it was nearly impossible to operate. Too many fences getting cut and everything kept disappearing, not to mention the trespassers and security problems.

Pretty sure they'd have been for it even if it meant selling some land to the feds.
Fishin Texas Aggie 05
AG
I hope it's a big and beautiful wall.
76Ag
AG
A few years ago we hunted turkey near Uvalde. The bars on the windows to the bunkhouse were pried off the outside wall by illegals. The guide told us that this happened every time they were reattached. There must be a large cultural difference. By what thinking is it okay to trespass and destroy someone else's property?
RMC91
AG
45-70Ag
AG
I can't imagine living in a place where that kind of stuff happens

12f Mane
AG
There's a ranch SE of Laredo that has ladders spaced every so often on their fences for the constant traffic.

Swarely
My family has farm land on the border outside of Pharr.

Growing up I would work summers down there and never carried a gun. Met lots of illegals as they were crossing. Some would see you and run. Others would come up to the door of the house and ask for help.

Lots of times they would turn the hose on the get water and not turn it off. Nothing like getting up in the morning to a lake out the back door.

That being said, I'm all for immigration as long as it is legal. I also support revamping the current immigration process.

As for the wall- not just no, but hell no. A good portion of my families land, including the family cemetery and homestead, would be on the other side of it. Not only that, but they would be seizing our land to build the wall.

Now, a "virtual wall" I could probably get behind if it were properly done.
FSGuide
RMC91 said:

Buddy has a place in Rock Springs. Not right at the border but close enough that he gets hit all the time. He used to leave a window unlocked so they didn't break in. They'd steal camo clothes, binos and food. He quit leaving stuff there. He finally put bars on doors and all the windows. They pried off the bars on the door and kicked it in. He's even had them knock on the door while eating dinner in January.

This seems like a recurring theme:

I have a friend whose family had roughly 10k acres not on the border but pretty close to it. They lived in Houston but went to the ranch a lot for long weekends, hunting, etc. The ranch had been in their family for 4 generations. The main house and bunk house started getting broken into every few months. Then it became more frequent. They took everything out of the house so it couldn't be stolen and they started leaving all doors and windows open and cases of bottled water inside with notes written in Spanish to not damage the place. But windows were still frequently broken out and they found piles of human s**t in the corners. They had people approach them while they were in their deer stands to ask for food. It got so bad that her dad ended up selling the place. He told her he did everything he could to hold onto the land to pass it to her when he died but it just got to be too much of a strain.
MrJonMan
AG
I have nothing significant to add or any personal connection to this topic but must say reading or hearing real life experiences with this stuff is fascinating to me for some reason
AggieFabricator
I've hunted in south Texas, the camp was actually a few miles past the Freer border patrol checkpoint as a kid. I remember going off to ride 4-wheelers and arrowhead hunt but man I knew if I saw brush piled up in the road and backpacks or especially people to get the hell out of there. Most of the time my Uncle or Dad were always in the area or with me.

The camp house has steel metal coverings that were hinges and locked from the inside, my dad broke the steel on a break and welded all the seams over engineered the hinges to make sure no one was getting in the house when we weren't there. Same for all of the doors. The outside of the camp house was R panel, the thick gauge as well. They tried and tried to get in through the windows, but never did. But eventually, the found a big enough rock that they beat every head off the screws on the tin. Then they eventually peeled the tin back and ripped all the insulation off of the wall and beat a hole in the Sheetrock.

How long do you think they sat there with rocks and beat those screw heads off?
Kenneth_2003
AG
Obligatory "User name fits"
Strongweasel97
AG
What did brush piled up on the road mean; ambush/robbery?

This is a whole different world for me hearing these stories.
Maverick06
AG
My best friends have a ranch in Hebbronville. I go down there with them every year to hunt and hang out. This year 2 of our 4 hunts during a weekend were interrupted by illegals. Their house is constantly broken into. They leave **** in the toilets and cook food and leave a mess everywhere. It's not uncommon to find clothes and packs scattered across the ranch. It's getting to the point where they don't like to take their families down there for fear of leaving them at the camp house while out hunting.

Add to that the constant abuse of personal property by ICE/BP. We drove up on a BP agent hanging game cams along a sendero two years ago to catch illegals. They are supposed to call and get permission to be out there but I'm sure the drive all of those ranches all the time like they own them. Sad situation down there.
JSKolache
AG
AggieFabricator said:

I've hunted in south Texas, the camp was actually a few miles past the Freer border patrol checkpoint as a kid. I remember going off to ride 4-wheelers and arrowhead hunt but man I knew if I saw brush piled up in the road and backpacks or especially people to get the hell out of there. Most of the time my Uncle or Dad were always in the area or with me.

The camp house has steel metal coverings that were hinges and locked from the inside, my dad broke the steel on a break and welded all the seams over engineered the hinges to make sure no one was getting in the house when we weren't there. Same for all of the doors. The outside of the camp house was R panel, the thick gauge as well. They tried and tried to get in through the windows, but never did. But eventually, the found a big enough rock that they beat every head off the screws on the tin. Then they eventually peeled the tin back and ripped all the insulation off of the wall and beat a hole in the Sheetrock.

Its a big problem on both sides of all the check points. They pull over early & let the crossers out to walk through the brush around the checkpoints & then pick them back up on the other side. Happens at the Falfurrias check on a daily basis.
SPI-FlatsCatter 84
AG
All of this is the overwhelming reason we sold our place in Duval County about 5 years ago.

Not worth it anymore.

When I was a kid, the crossers were friendly, humble and looking for work. In the past 10-15 years that has changed dramatically for the worst.
Use to work in horticulture with a large % of employees being illegal.

They would tell you stories of the coyotes beating and robbing people in their group and leaving the whole group with nothing in middle of their journey. Not counting the drugs many are made to carry on their trip as payment.

The cultural difference is they think if they steal something or break something, that we are all rich Americans and can afford to replace it.
Tumble Weed
I don't own a border ranch, but a coworker said that he leaves the doors unlocked on the cabin so that they won't break down the door. Leaves them a few cans of food and they don't trash the place.

Another guy said that they get into the deer feeders, pull out the corn, and will cook it up for a meal. They largely sleep during the day and travel at night parallel to the road.

I am sure that it has been discussed before, but I have read articles about wildlife and cutting off their access to the water. I would like to see what some local ranchers think about the water access issue.

fightingfarmer09
Border Patrol now has "Agua Stations" with flags about 20' tall so they can see them far away. Providing water to those traveling. I'm assuming they work as a form of baited trap for them.
powerbelly
AG
AggieFabricator said:

I still lease a place just past the Freer border checkpoint and we have stuff stolen, or broken, constantly. We used to leave canned food and water, but the newer generation of illegals seem to just want to break everything they can on their way through.
TOM-M
fightingfarmer09 said:

Border Patrol now has "Agua Stations" with flags about 20' tall so they can see them far away. Providing water to those traveling. I'm assuming they work as a form of baited trap for them.
Google Eddie Canales.

BP has beacons with water jugs mounted on them. If the blue barrels and flags have anything to do with BP, it'd be news to me (but I wouldn't doubt the presence of cameras and sensors at some of them).
Brush Country Ag
AG
I live down here. I have 4 Catahoulas that are NOT penned. I carry a weapon everywhere I go on the ranch. You have to be aware of your surroundings...and know where you are the most at risk. Getting out to open gates is an example of a high risk spot.
I have gotten more careful as I have gotten older. (About to be 64). You have to be cognizant of your surroundings at all times. If you do see illegals with backpacks, it's best to stay clear. But most of the time those people are trying to get away from you as fast as they can .
A different world here, but family has been here 71 years, and I'm not leaving until the Man upstairs says it's time. I could tell y'all lots of stories, but typing is too slow!

Those of you who frequent STexas...just be aware. You will be fine.
MousepadMarauder
AG
I hunt with a buddy who has a place down there. They have those ladders over the fence and signs on their fence directing them to the closest gates so they don't tear down or drive through their fences.
fightingfarmer09
Didn't know that. Interesting.
Brush Country Ag
AG
About a month ago my neighbor had his fence cut right next to his gate. Like someone said earlier, these "new" illegals don't respect property. Very different from groups of the past.
CanyonAg77
AG
I know someone who used to work on a huge ranch in the Big Bend Country. It was owned by the Combs family (former Texas comptroller) and is on the old Comanche War Trail from Mexico to the High Plains. They have lots of artifacts from the trail.

He tells the same stories many of you do. Decades ago, illegals looking for work would stop in their line camps. They might eat a can of pork and beans out of the cupboard. Then they'd put the can in the trash and sweep up the place.

Today, those same camps would be vandalized and everything stolen.

Today's border crossers are not the "good people looking for work" that people remember.
schmellba99
AG
One of my jobsites was right on the Rio Grande, just outside of Rio Grande City. It was an interesting experience.

BP showing up on the jobsite in the evenings chasing illegals was a somewhat regular occurrence. We loaded up a 20 yard haul off dumpster with backpacks, water bottles and lord knows what else from a washout that was on the jobsite property but not part of anything we were doing construction wise - had enough cover that it became a defacto stopping point for crossers. They left everything, finally had to take a day with several laborers to clean it up because the Owner was worried about everything washing off the property in a rain storm and we were tired of dealing with animals rooting through it. It was against company policy, but our intake pump station was about a mile away right on the river, I never went there unarmed. At the end of the project I was told (I had left the company by then) that the intake sensor at the river pump station had to be replaced several times because it was shot up - apparently those on the other side thought it was some kind of monitoring station. That was a $30k piece of equipment that was replaced at least twice.

When I lived in AZ, there was a big thread on AZshooting.com about the southern border there. A good chunk of the border in AZ is the Coronado NF. It is sparsely patrolled by BP, there are even signs out that warn visitors that it's not patrolled and you are on your own if you choose to enter. This is soverign US territory we are talking about. Several guys would go down there and post pictures of semi-permanent (we assumed) cartel campsites, complete with rape tents. BP didn't do anything about it even though locations were provided to them. I had a couple of run ins with groups of illegals out in the desert, luckily no coyotes with them and they just wanted to go on their way. It will pucker you up a bit when you are out and about and come around a sage brush head on into 10-15 illegals when you are miles from anywhere, gets the heartbeat up for sure.
Oogway
I can believe that, but as I am someone who is fairly uninformed about that region, do you think that a lot of the damage is also caused by the coyotes/guides? Seems to me they have money to be made and are seeing that moving their product (humans, drugs, whatever) is going to be paramount to them plus whatever they think they can sell along the way. If some of the illegals have no money, I wonder if pass along info from guides/others is along the lines of 'make it to a camp and swipe all you can to sell/use.'

I think that everyone should have proper documentation or no entry but I also think they should especially punish the himan traffickers who profit off of the illegals. I don't know how they will catch them but it is awful what they do.
proc
AG
This thread is a great read.

I am mildly surprised that nobody has made a hobby of chasing illegals with drones and posting them on a Youtube channel. If one of you winds up doing this, you are welcome and owe me a six pack.
CanyonAg77
AG
What could you possibly steal in a line camp, carry on your back over the desert, and sell later that could possibly be worth the trouble? A $200 TV that weighs 40 pounds and you can sell for $2?

And why should a coyote or smuggler vandalize a line camp or hunting cabin? One assumes they travel the same route often. Were it me, and I located a nice place to spend the night, get a drink, and maybe a little food, I would take care of it. I certainly wouldn't do anything to make the owner lock it up, or remove the food.

No, this is pure evil. Tearing up crap just for the hell of it.
dave99ag
AG
This was a small concern when we purchased a place just south of the Hwy 118 checkpoint outside Alpine. Neighbors said they don't really see much activity if any. I'm not shocked considering how rugged that area is to come up through Big Bend. I'm still vigilant though and monitor for any activity coming through our place. Mostly hogs these days.
TOM-M
CanyonAg77 said:

No, this is pure evil. Tearing up crap just for the hell of it.
Can't speak for the Big Bend sector, but have it on good authority that those caught north of the border in the RGV (in other words, the illegals that don't WANT to get caught), somewhere in the neighborhood of 40 - 50% of apprehensions have either a criminal record here, in the country they came from or both.

You're right. It's in their blood.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.