Outdoors
Sponsored by

Rec for Lake/Beach Shade

2,020 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Milwaukees Best Light
YogiBeers
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My old pop up canopy has died, wind caught it as I was setting it up. What do you use for the lake and beach? I was looking for an inflated canopy but all I find is the direct from China kind.
Drip99
AG
https://www.ezup.com
BrazosDog02
AG
Watching this thread. I dont have one but the Super-Brella looks like it would be pretty good.
MouthBQ98
AG
EzUps are so cheap at Academy. There's also those dome tent like shade shelters.

I just added a big Bimini to my boat and it makes a huge difference.
Signel
AG
Where Bimini did you go with, and how hard are they to install?
MouthBQ98
AG
I searched on Amazon after measuring the size. It turns out there's a bunch of pricey very nice ones, and then a bunch of FAR less expensive knockoffs that are probably made by the exact same factories in China as most of the pricey ones.

I ended up getting one for just over $100, 8 feet long so it covers a decent portion of my boat over the console, and the width of the gunwales plus a bit, and 54" so someone over 6 feet can drive my boat standing and not have to duck.

Installation for me was a bit more complicated as with the wood core I have to drill out and fill in any through hull screw or bolt hole locations with a filler epoxy mix to keep it sealed, then drill the actual holes in that. But once I measured, marked, and did the drill and fill, actually assembling and mounting the Bimini was super easy. It just folds down against the rear deck inside the included cover and unfolds and straps to my bow cleats (or the little ones they included if I wanted) to set up. You can run it up to 45mph with it up, but I keep it under 30 or so given wind. It's really very easy, and well worth $100 or so.
agnerd
AG
For the beach, I use my patio umbrellas and these:

sand screw
trip98
AG
we have the super brella. can look up on amazon. Like $50 or so. Super easy to carry around (as the dad I'm carrying all the crap). Easy to pack in car as it rolls up. Provides good shade.
I will say if you are taking to the beach with wind you'll want to treat it just like you would any other shade.....make sure it's secure and sturdy. I found by taking (2) 5 gallon buckets you can easily fill with water and then tie the tent to the buckets.
The super brella comes with some stakes and "rope" and it definitely works/helps but so easy to do the buckets and make sure it won't go anywhere or break.
YogiBeers
AG
Bummed for the evening crowd....

I should have said this from the get go, I'm looking for something 10'X10' or bigger.
AnScAggie
AG
Up until Harvey I had two EzUp straight leg 10x10s. They were very good the only problem was one lost a foot after 5 or so years of heavy beach use. However as a replacement for them I purchased a Neso Tent Grande for our most recent coast trip and it was easily the best shade structure I've ever used. https://www.nesotents.com
It took a bit of practice to get it right but in the 4 days we were at Port A last week in high wind I never worried about it once. I purchased two extra poles to make it more like a traditional canopy. The best things about it are if it falls or blows over you're not out $200 or so and it only weighs 6 lbs. The shade was just as good as a traditional canopy and set up was much easier with only two people.
CS78

It took a bit of practice to get it right but in the 4 days we were at Port A last week in high wind I never worried about it once.
For drive in beaches we normally just use a popup from academy and a shovel to bury the legs. But this thing looks like it would be perfect for boat based camping trips where weight is a concern. Do the bag corners hold well in heavy wind? Do you think you could set it up with the low portion facing the wind to block wind or would it add too much resistance?
Post removed:
by user
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
We go through the standard Academy pop up every few years. Just wash them down, WD 40 the joints and use it until something gives. I don't like the pins that you have to pull and the other leg issues so bought a little higher model with better release mechanisms.

For the beach, a couple of buckets of water or sand and some bungees are the best route for windy days. Also, academy has bags for sand, they work out pretty nice too.

It's all about economy and convenience. Don't over think it.
schmellba99
AG

$79.99 at Academy, sets up in about 3 minutes, takes down in maybe 5.

Academy Pop Up - Straight Leg
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
My tip is to use dollar store dog tie out stakes instead of the straight stakes. The spiral works great in the sand and dirt. The buckets sound ok too.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.