Outdoors
Sponsored by

Looking for Curado Reel....

1,643 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Finn Maccumhail
BrazosDog02
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Is aggiegolfer still around here?

Anyway, I've spent the better part of 20 years upgrading and fixing all manner of Ambassadeur reels from 4000 to 6000 series reels from the 60s to present. I love them. I buy garage sale reels and "broken" reels on Craigslist and zone in on the zen that is fixing one up for service. I've got some nice ones, some uglies, and a frankenreel or two.

And now I'm looking to try something different for saltwater than my old trusty Abus. I think I have settled on the Curado reels for saltwater. The thing is I don't want to spend a lot on one, and I'm ok with reels that need TLC. What I don't know is the exact models I should be looking at in terms of quality. I'm ok with a new one for the right price. I keep reading complaints of some being good and some sucking. I think the 200E7 is supposedly good.

Anyway, what models can I focus on finding that are relatively easy to repair in terms of parts, if I need to? I'm going to hit up eBay.
SanAntoneAg
AG
The green Bantam Curados were legendary.
Gig 'em! '90
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
Next time I'm at the coast I'll check the old stash we have, I think there might be one that would need some rebuild. I'll ship it to you if I find a candidate. I've always had really good luck with them.
Furlock Bones
AG
OP, I have a couple that I need to get rid of. My dad did me the favor of dumping a lot of rods and reels on me when he sold his boat. I need to thin the herd.
Furlock Bones
AG
Just checked. I have 5 Curados in the garage. Could definitely stand to lose 2 or 3. Current price on ebay seems to be anywhere from 65 to 100 bucks. I'd do $50 bucks a piece.
Lonestar-aught-six
I might be interested in what he doesn't want.
maass96@gmail.com
tlh3842
AG
I think you're dead on that the 200e7 is quality. People will say the old bantam or greenies were the best, but the E series are arguably one of the best reels ever. Just enough new and classic combined, shortly after they began to slowly decline in quality. Most 200e7 reels will be used closer to $200 in good condition, especially this time of year around the gulf coast.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
My 200E7 has been very good. I need to send it off for a good cleaning and probably some new bearings but it has been a solid reel.

Only complaint with the reel is that it takes some adjustment time with the brakes to figure out the best cast for your setup. Once you get that down, which shouldn't take long at all, it's a great reel.
BrazosDog02
AG
Tony Franklins Other Shoe said:

Next time I'm at the coast I'll check the old stash we have, I think there might be one that would need some rebuild. I'll ship it to you if I find a candidate. I've always had really good luck with them.

Definitely interested in this. Little projects like this keep me out of trouble. LOL. Email is at the end!

Furlock Bones said:

Just checked. I have 5 Curados in the garage. Could definitely stand to lose 2 or 3. Current price on ebay seems to be anywhere from 65 to 100 bucks. I'd do $50 bucks a piece.

username at gmail.com

I'm interested!
BrazosDog02
AG
OK...what is a Chronarch...are those just super expensive refined/higher end Curados?
BrazosDog02
AG
What's your email Furlock?
KenAg06
AG
SanAntoneAg said:

The green Bantam Curados were legendary.

This. Have had two for 10+ years and have them cleaned once a year. I have found several for friends at reel repair shops.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
I have a Quantum too if you want that to tinker with.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
I don't know which era Curado it was but I took a buddy and his son fishing yesterday and his son was using a Curado that is black. Anyway, it was a piece of junk.

The side plate catch wouldn't latch and the side plate kept popping open. And the reel just overall felt like a hunk of plastic crap. The tolerances were poor IMHO.

Back when I chunked gear I was a devotee of those old green Curados and the immediate iteration thereafter (200e7 IIRC). If I still chunked gear there's no chance I'd buy a Curado of whatever generation this black one came from.

If this is the current model I'd be ashamed to put the Curado name on it if I were Shimano.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.