Outdoors
Sponsored by

Alone season 5

12,177 Views | 112 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by TheVarian
TheVarian
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
No teams this time around, but they have folks from previous season who didn't win.

And they are in Mongolia this year...
strohag
AG
Fish hooks in your hand aren't fun
TexaN792
Youre about a week late with this post
Pooh Ah
AG
strohag said:

Fish hooks in your hand aren't fun

I was surprised by her lack of first aid skills. They are just as important as knowledge of edible plants, shelter, navigation etc.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
Maybe so, but being in her right hand and dug in made it pretty hard to attend to in a proper fashion. That whole incident made me cringe more than usual.

I'm no survivalist, but I did get a small hook in my index finger hanging up the poles after taking my son out fishing I gutted it up to push it all the way through to cut the barb until it hit the underside of the fingernail and decided to stop. It was a combo of not thinking clearly or assessing completely and getting wobbly when I pushed the damn hook in further. Plus, it was in my right index finger and it's pretty amazing the difference in dexterity you have between hands. At that point I informed the War Department that I was heading over to the emergency clinic and would be back in a couple of hours.

To add, those shots of deadener hurt like a beeotch.
FatZilla
AG
For being a survival "expert", she sure is a dumbass when it comes to fishing. You never hold a fish in mid air and fight to grab a hold of it. Especially if your survival depended on landing the catch.
ursusguy
AG
If she did stick the tendon, that would pretty well throw standard procedures out the door.
TheVarian
AG
Wouldn't she be able to tell if she pulled the hook and her thumb went with it? I know she said she thought it was there because her thumb was moving, just didn't seem very convinced.
JSKolache
AG
FatZilla said:

For being a survival "expert", she sure is a dumbass when it comes to fishing. You never hold a fish in mid air and fight to grab a hold of it. Especially if your survival depended on landing the catch.
True. She was skunked on the fishing last time, so she may have just gotten overly excited this time.

And I don't know what qualifies as expert, but I believe she did 80+ days last time, which was longer than anyone else in the current season. Just sucks.
Fairview
AG
I was skeptical going into this season after last season with the partners and this one being all returning people but they I think they picked a pretty awesome cast and have a location that is different enough to make it interesting. I think Carleigh could've gone a long way but it just shows that one bone headed move can screw you over out there.
Apache
AG
Quote:

And I don't know what qualifies as expert, but I believe she did 80+ days last time, which was longer than anyone else in the current season.
At the rate she was catching fish, she probably could have made it a long time. That girl was very clever.... she made some bolas last year to try and kill geese. That impressed me.
Shelton98
AG
I've had to extract several hooks in my life... from my own fingers, a treble hook from a dog's paw, a spinner bait from my wife's head a few weeks ago.... but I've never had to deal with one buried that deep in the back of a hand. I'll readily admit that I fast forwarded through the last 15 mins of that episode because I just knew she was going to pull out a big ole hunk of meat with that hook. I'm glad she didn't.
Bregxit
AG
I was thinking during the show "just push it through" until she said she didn't have a multitool to cut the eyelet and then watching the extra footage at the hospital. It took multiple sets of hands with the right tools to get the hook out and even them the docs had trouble with it. That thing was way in there. Sucks for her.

Oh and Nicole...still wood.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
dlance said:

Oh and Nicole...still wood.
Even before she gets survival dirty?
Pooh Ah
AG
I missed the extra footage.
Fairview
AG
I'm pumped they can actually hunt this year. There's potential on that front.

There are some nuts dudes on this season. I think they can last a while out of sheer craziness.

Tonight was a good example of how bad stupid mistakes can bite you (Fish holding tank) and how lacking practiced skills (the dude that couldn't find food for 7 days next to a river) can screw you.

If you watched previous seasons and are on the fence about this season this one seems like it should be pretty good.
CrottyKid
AG
Yeah. That young guy tapped out mentally days before he ever made the call.
rhoswen
AG
50 snares and never thought to go fishing. Am I missing something?
Frisco
AG
he said he fished and put out a gill net. I think his fishing skills are lacking because that looks like a great spot
Frisco
AG
Another thing....why are these people thanking whatever life they took to eat? Do they do the same at Whataburger when they get a burger? Is it just for camera? Is it because they're just odd people to begin with?
Bregxit
AG
Frisco said:

Another thing....why are these people thanking whatever life they took to eat? Do they do the same at Whataburger when they get a burger? Is it just for camera? Is it because they're just odd people to begin with?
khkman22
AG
Frisco said:

I think it's to try and appease PETA to keep them from protesting.
montanagriz
S
Or just being connected to nature and that close to life and death. If you went to a butcher shop. Saw them catch a cow and make it reluctantly go up shoot with a hot shot zapping it. Then tap it on head and watch it die. Then they cut it open and cook you a steak. You may feel remorse and thankful for that animals life while enjoying steak.
I usually feel bad after killing something that gave up its life unwillingly to fill my belly, but that's nature.

Are we are just so disconnected from life and death, and callous we dont care. Like a serial killer where life and death mean nothing. I havent watched the show but dont see how its a bad thing to thank animal for its life
khkman22
AG
montanagriz said:

Or just being connected to nature and that close to life and death. If you went to a butcher shop. Saw them catch a cow and make it reluctantly go up shoot with a hot shot zapping it. Then tap it on head and watch it die. Then they cut it open and cook you a steak. You may feel remorse and thankful for that animals life while enjoying steak.
I usually feel bad after killing something that gave up its life unwillingly to fill my belly, but that's nature.

Are we are just so disconnected from life and death, and callous we dont care. Like a serial killer where life and death mean nothing. I havent watched the show but dont see how its a bad thing to thank animal for its life
Everybody has been on the show in the past and I don't remember them saying it in prior seasons. It just seems contrived this time. I could be remembering wrong though.
Bregxit
AG
khkman22 said:

montanagriz said:

Everybody has been on the show in the past and I don't remember them saying it in prior seasons. It just seems contrived this time. I could be remembering wrong though.

You are remembering wrong. Hell I've seen guys do the same thing on hunting shows.
Frisco
AG
Definitely not saying it's a bad thing at all and don't want to derail this thread. Maybe I'll start another thread to discuss as I've got some thoughts/questions about the concept.
dave99ag
AG
Shame to see Nicole succumb to her MS issues. I can only imagine how she has to deal with the disease and then throw herself into a remote area like Mongolia.

Still waiting for some real hunting, but some previews show that it might happen.
Apache
AG
If I were on this show, I'd get my shelter done and then fish. All d*%m day. I'd put out as many drop lines as I could. Build some fish traps in shallow water out of rocks or those small birch looking trees.

Then I would use the guts/heads/tails for baiting traps & try and get some small animals.

It's infuriating to watch a guy give up on fishing to set 20 traps to catch a one ounce bird. Then again they are probably editing this stuff to infuriate some people.

I wonder how many people try out for this. My wife told me I could try out. She either really loves me or may want to get rid of me for a while....
Aggieangler93
AG
I agree. What's not to like about a fishing vacation in a remote area?
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
CrottyKid
AG
Who knows whether he fished for an entire day before giving up?

Also, seems like you could make some nets and set them up all over the river. It isn't deep.
Fairview
AG
Britt shooting arrows at that deer...

strohag
AG
Dude crying every time he kills a grouse or a squirrel needs to go home. Don't go on a survival show and be upset when you have to kill something to eat. Down to 6 people left
After this episode.
Bregxit
AG
strohag said:

Dude crying every time he kills a grouse or a squirrel needs to go home. Don't go on a survival show and be upset when you have to kill something to eat. Down to 6 people left
After this episode.

Ehh, go sit out in BFE Mongolia for 4 weeks completely alone, short about 2000-3000 calories per day and see how rational your mind is.
Fairview
AG
So what do y'all think the fishing discrepancies are? Skill or good/ bad areas? Really seems like it's feast or famine.
clintaggie04
AG
It seems like the people using grasshoppers for bait are doing well. The others who are trying to make lures are not.
Last Page
Page 1 of 4

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.