Outdoors
Sponsored by

Anybody ever been around and/or hunted with a Braque Francais (French Pointer)

6,420 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by dr_boogs
Furlock Bones
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
My wife and I are looking at adding a pup to our household. Our current dog is getting up there in years and he's giant breed which means they tend to go downhill fast when senior age hits.

I'm intrigued by the Braque. A bit smaller than a GSP and a little less intense. I've never had a bird dog. Supposed to be pretty versatile.
Furlock Bones
AG
So I did a little Texags searching. Seems 1 or 2 people have asked about Braques in the past and no one has answered. Looks like I will be the guinea pig.
Stinky T
AG
I trained a male a few years ago and I am helping another guy train his female now. Both are what I would describe as serviceable hunting dogs. IMO they were/are more difficult to train for advanced concepts than some more popular breeds, which is probably why they are less popular. Both of these that I have worked with did not have an affinity for ducks at all. It isn't a large sample, but that is what I have seen out of them.
Furlock Bones
AG
What kind of advanced concepts?
Stinky T
AG
Anything requiring an increase in pressure level: force fetch, complete steadiness, duck search. They don't handle pressure very well, which is required to finish a dog.

If you just want a dog that points birds and you get what you get in the retrieve - then they are fine.
Furlock Bones
AG
aw, yea should not be issue for me. this will be a companion first and foremost. but, if i can get one to point, retrieve some, i will be happy. i've definitely read they need a soft hand in training.
Gigemags05
AG
http://www.gundogmag.com/breeds/gundog_breeds_braque_082004/

This article makes me kinda want one. I would have to work on my temper, I assume they are this way because they are French (joke). But other than that, they seem like they fall right in line with what I'd need.
Furlock Bones
AG
good article. had not read that one yet. but, it reinforces a lot of what i've read.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
There was one at a Texas NAVHDA event a few years ago.

I'd recommend contacting your local NAVHDA chapter (Texas NAVHDA for North Texas, Lone Star NAVHDA for South/Houston) and seeing if anyone has any recommendations.

Always seemed like neat dogs.
Stinky T
AG
Of the French pointing breeds I have worked with (d'Auvergne, Francais, and du Bourbonnais), the Francais is the only one I would bother feeding. The other two are fairly worthless as hunting breeds in my opinion.
CircleO
AG
I currently own one. We got him from a breeder in Michigan. He is a quail hunting machine and a great family dog. My previous dog was a GSP and my next dog will be another Braque. Less hyperness than a GSP but still more than enough energy.
Furlock Bones
AG
we're going to need pics.
Gigemags05
AG
Any links or leads on a breeder? How much does one of these things cost?

CircleO
AG
We used Great Lakes gun dogs. Wait was around a year. Cost was a few hundred more than a GSP. He weighs about 10 lbs less than my old GSP.

With any bird dog make sure you have a large lot. If you don't both of you will be miserable.

The breeder mailed me a copy of the book Gun Dog and I followed for training. He points and fetches.

SquirrellyDan
AG
I've always wanted a GSP but have held off thinking I wouldn't be able to provide them with enough regular exercise/activity. French Pointers sounds like a good compromise, based from descriptions of their demeanor. Would be interested in hearing about where to find one and approximate cost.
Random Ag
AG
You should also check out Wirehaired Pointing Griffons - they fit your description perfectly.
Furlock Bones
AG
Random Ag said:

You should also check out Wirehaired Pointing Griffons - they fit your description perfectly.
A buddy of mine at work has WPG. She's a wonderful dog. Also requires a soft hand.
fishag04
AG
Stinky T said:

Of the French pointing breeds I have worked with (d'Auvergne, Francais, and du Bourbonnais), the Francais is the only one I would bother feeding. The other two are fairly worthless as hunting breeds in my opinion.

Have you worked with a Bracco Italiano?
Stinky T
AG
No, that is one breed that I have not worked or hunted with. Saw my first Cesky Fousek about a month ago.
tree91
AG
You'd have to throw your guns on the ground for a French dog to feel comfortable.
Furlock Bones
AG
tree91 said:

You'd have to throw your guns on the ground for a French dog to feel comfortable.

Only took 2 days to get that joke. /clever
SteveBott
AG
Stinky email me your contact info. My email is in my profile. I'm interested in basic training options if you do that.
tree91
AG
Furlock Bones said:

tree91 said:

Only took 2 days to get that joke. /clever

I'll explain it next time.
Furlock Bones
AG
Huzzah
Stinky T
AG
I no longer take in dogs for training. Now I just train my own dogs, hunt a lot, occasionally produce a very nice litter of pups, and spend a bunch of time mentoring new trainers that are in my local NAVHDA chapter.

But if you have questions, I am always available to provide an answer.
Lt. Joe Bookman
AG
Stinky T can help you a ton. I just put two and two together that he was the one who initially helped me with my WPG. Never met the guy, but he has been more than helpful on email exchanges.
Furlock Bones
AG
posted this on the FB group. but, i'd thought i share here as well. we picked out our new girl. she'll be ready to come home in a few more weeks.

SteveBott
Furlock Bones
AG
PrimeTime09 said:

I've always wanted a GSP but have held off thinking I wouldn't be able to provide them with enough regular exercise/activity. French Pointers sounds like a good compromise, based from descriptions of their demeanor. Would be interested in hearing about where to find one and approximate cost.
Not sure where you're located. But, our new pup is from Fredericksburg. They still have pups available. 4 weeks old right now. The mom is a sweetheart.

http://www.gundogbreeders.com/classifieds/58967.html
Furlock Bones
AG
Little Yuca at 5 weeks

https://i.imgur.com/CBk9VVg.mp4
Scotty88
AG
Update: I just finished examining this litter of pups and there are still two males available.

You can contact the owner of the litter at: browns8@ktc.com if you are interested.

Litter owner is an Ag...
dr_boogs
AG
Stinky T said:

I no longer take in dogs for training. Now I just train my own dogs, hunt a lot, occasionally produce a very nice litter of pups, and spend a bunch of time mentoring new trainers that are in my local NAVHDA chapter.

But if you have questions, I am always available to provide an answer.

This is an awesome thread. Great looking puppy OP, can't wait for more photos.

StinkyT - what's your story? give us some history - as much as you feel comfortable on an message board.

I grew up w Brittany Spaniels, Labs, and English pointers hunting quail with my quail-obsessed grandfather. Interested in getting an all around bird dog in the next few years with a heavier lean toward dove and duck and have honed in on a Drahthaar. What are your thoughts and experiences w the breed? Any breeders or trainers to recommend?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.