Outdoors
Sponsored by

First time boat owner advice

9,742 Views | 85 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Sorrell Booke
WishIWasTheWeather
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thanks Motis!
Sorrell Booke
WishIWasTheWeather, update us on this. Now that you have the boat, how many times have you taken her out? What did you find you did not have? How many things did you purchase as a result of this thread? Is there anything that that was not mentioned that you bought?

I also bought a deck boat about the same time as you and have been following this thread. More lines and fenders are the thing I needed first.
histag10
AG
check whatever lake/body of water you will be on to see if you need an orange flag for when you have swimmers in the water.

check whatever lake/body of water you will be on to see if you need a usage sticker (usually $5 and WAY cheaper than the ticket for not having it).

Make sure your first aid kit is waterproof (mistakes were made. lessons were learned)

1 or 2 gallon gas can in case you run out (again, mistakes were made, lessons were learned)

Insurance for your boat if you can get it - along with towing coverage

In addition to the 3/4 full assortment of sunscreens, it's nice to have an assortment of scratched sunglasses, and children sized ball caps.

I keep 2-3 crap towels under one of the seats, and we bought a battery powered inflator for tubes, floats, etc (we bought Ryobi but it gets really hot when using it- Airhead makes some good ones)

and on the advice of our boat mechanic- have an extra set of keys that are wired under your steering wheel. You will eventually need them.

water turkey
hoes
WishIWasTheWeather
AG
Update as requested by Sorrell on what I purchased:

• 4 fenders
  • 2 docking lines
  • Extra rope
  • Life jackets
  • Fire extinguisher
  • Orange safety swim flag
  • Waterproof first aid kit
  • Danforth Anchor with 75' line and 6' of chain
  • Trailer hitch lock
  • Trailer lugnut wrench and jack

Picked up the boat on Friday (6/29) and went straight from the dealership to an empty parking lot. Taught the wife how to back up the trailer for about 20 minutes. From there, we went to Lake Conroe and put the boat on the water. We had it out on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday of that weekend and took it back out to the lake last Saturday (during which we had rain dumped on us for about 45 straight minutes mid-day). It's been fantastic and we love the boat so far. Honestly, we have felt really comfortable with all of the supplies we bought and well prepared. Thanks to everyone who replied with the suggestions.

I have to give a special shout out to Mrs. Wishiwastheweather. She has now pulled off 4 launches and 4 retrievals driving the trailer, with no prior trailer experience. I just sit in the boat and drop her off at the dock when we are ready to leave. It sure is nice not have to back up the trailer and then get back in the boat to drive it on. Get yourself a woman that can drive a trailer and boating is a lot more fun.
dead zip 01
AG
I found it was much easier to teach the wife to drive the boat onto the trailer than back the trailer in.
VaultingChemist
AG
We were at Possum Kingdom Lake in a friend's boat watching the fireworks show last Saturday. After the show was over, the boat wouldn't start. Although the battery appeared to be charged, we put in a new one with the same results. It appeared starter on motor was bad. Game warden towed the boat to the nearest dock, which was an hour drive by car (one way) to his pickup and trailer. We finally got his boat loaded at 3:30 am.
DannyDuberstein
AG
VaultingChemist said:

We were at Possum Kingdom Lake in a friend's boat watching the fireworks show last Saturday. After the show was over, the boat wouldn't start. Although the battery appeared to be charged, we put in a new one with the same results. It appeared starter on motor was bad. Game warden towed the boat to the nearest dock, which was an hour drive by car (one way) to his pickup and trailer. We finally got his boat loaded at 3:30 am.
As much of an asswhip as this may have been, holding tight at Hells Gate vs. being among the boaters (many not sober) hauling ass away after the fireworks in the dark is not always the worst thing.
Signel
AG
I used one of these to clear sand out of my outboard last weekend. https://www.harborfreight.com/multi-use-transfer-pump-63144.html $7 bucks, and can be used to move gas or any other liquids. I sure am glad I had it in the boat.

That also lead me to looking into having a membership with boatus for towing. Anyone have any feedback on their services/discounts?

http://www.boatus.com/towing/gettowing/pays-for-itself.asp?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIr46Rt7CX3AIVESlpCh3XnQMGEAAYASACEgIeOPD_BwE

RO519
AG
Signel said:

That also lead me to looking into having a membership with boatus for towing. Anyone have any feedback on their services/discounts?

http://www.boatus.com/towing/gettowing/pays-for-itself.asp?gclid=EAIaIQobChMIr46Rt7CX3AIVESlpCh3XnQMGEAAYASACEgIeOPD_BwE
No feedback using them on the coast, but they group in east Texas that serves Rayburn and Toledo Bend have two of the most incompetent jackasses I've ever been around that runs the boat.
bigboykin
AG
A few things I didn't see (might've missed as I skimmed pretty quickly).

Need:
- Marine grease and grease gun for your trailer hubs

Nice to have:
- A spare trailer hub kit
- Something to use as chocks (if your trailer breaks and you have to leave it to get parts, etc. you'll want to chock the tires). Couple spare bricks or sections of 4x4 work fine.
- Dedicated head lamp
- For first time owner, not bad idea to have a laminated checklist for launch (list items such as unhook front winch, screw in plug, turn on battery switch(es), remove rear tie downs, place spare gas can from truck bed onboard, etc.)
- roll of trash bags
- Spare handheld VHF radio
- Spare bilge pump rigged with wire and battery clips. (If auto bilge/switch/etc. goes out you can clip straight to battery and pump out water in a pinch)

I'm an environmental/marine scientist and have towed boats from Lake Ponchartrain to Key West and everywhere in between. I've had nearly as many problems with trailers as I've had with boats. Probably not much of an issue if you just tow to the neighborhood ramp, but if you're getting on the highway to head to the lake an hour+ away, take good care of your trailer.
Signel
AG
That checklist is a great idea.. I forgot my life vest last weekend and had to use the on board ones that didn't fit right.
txags92
AG
WishIWasTheWeather said:

HUpdate as requested by Sorrell on what I purchased:

• 4 fenders
  • 2 docking lines
  • Extra rope
  • Life jackets
  • Fire extinguisher
  • Orange safety swim flag
  • Waterproof first aid kit
  • Danforth Anchor with 75' line and 6' of chain
  • Trailer hitch lock
  • Trailer lugnut wrench and jack

Picked up the boat on Friday (6/29) and went straight from the dealership to an empty parking lot. Taught the wife how to back up the trailer for about 20 minutes. From there, we went to Lake Conroe and put the boat on the water. We had it out on Friday, Saturday, and Sunday of that weekend and took it back out to the lake last Saturday (during which we had rain dumped on us for about 45 straight minutes mid-day). It's been fantastic and we love the boat so far. Honestly, we have felt really comfortable with all of the supplies we bought and well prepared. Thanks to everyone who replied with the suggestions.

I have to give a special shout out to Mrs. Wishiwastheweather. She has now pulled off 4 launches and 4 retrievals driving the trailer, with no prior trailer experience. I just sit in the boat and drop her off at the dock when we are ready to leave. It sure is nice not have to back up the trailer and then get back in the boat to drive it on. Get yourself a woman that can drive a trailer and boating is a lot more fun.
I don't see a couple of things in either your initial list or this one that you need to be legal. You need a throwable flotation device (cushion or ring) and an audible signaling device (whistle or air horn works).
RO519
AG
bigboykin said:

I'm an environmental/marine scientist and have towed boats from Lake Ponchartrain to Key West and everywhere in between. I've had nearly as many problems with trailers as I've had with boats. Probably not much of an issue if you just tow to the neighborhood ramp, but if you're getting on the highway to head to the lake an hour+ away, take good care of your trailer.
This guy is on to something. While dragging bass boats all over the state, (Falcon, Fork, Amistad, Rayburn, Toledo Bends and everywhere in between) I have learned that there is nothing more frustrating the sitting on the side of the road with a melted bearing and nothing to fix it with. Make sure you have the appropriate tools in your tool box to pull a wheel off, disassemble a hub and put it back together.

Also, a jack like this will save you tons of time if you have a tandem axle trailer. I carry this style jack with a 20v dewalt impact and a breaker bar. I can change a trailer tire in under 5 minutes on the side of the highway.
WishIWasTheWeather
AG
Forgot to mention the throw cushion. Yes, I definitely have one and a whistle (as per requirements).

Regarding the checklists that Bigboykin mentioned, I am covered there as well. I'm a big checklist guy because I know people forget the little things, especially when they are feeling rushed at the ramp. I have an app called the Mercury VesselView, which syncs up with my motor over bluetooth for monitoring the parameters I don't have gauges for. It's a great app and has a set up pre-built and editable checklists. I have a Pre-Departure, Pre-Launch, and Post-Trailering checklist. I run through each one of those before I leave the house, put the boat in the water, and after I pull the boat out of the water. With those I never forget to install the drain plug before launch or plug the trailer lights back in before I leave. I too would highly recommend the checklists (laminated or in an app) for first time boat owners.
Sorrell Booke
What kind of deck boat did you buy?

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.