Outdoors
Sponsored by

First time boat owner advice

9,682 Views | 85 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Sorrell Booke
WishIWasTheWeather
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I just bought my first boat. It's an 18 foot deck boat that we plan on using mainly for cruising around the lake with friends and anchoring for some swimming. I am picking it up next week and trying to make a list of all the extras that I need for it.

What do I NEED to have on the boat and what is really nice to have? Here is a list of what I plan on getting so far:
  • Life jackets
  • Fenders (4)
  • Anchor
  • Rope
  • First aid kit
  • Fire extinguisher
  • Flashlight
  • Knife
  • Cold beer

If you have a link to an old thread, that would work just fine too. TIA.

Furlock Bones
AG
if you have the storage, get some bumpers for when you're at the dock.

mount the fire extinguisher where it's easy and quick to access.
Allen76
AG
Always put the drain plug into the drain hole before you launch the boat.
Beckdiesel03
AG
For swimming I like the seat saddles you can get at academy for like $25. I use mine every time we go out.
redass1876
AG
NEED

noise maker (whistle or air horn)
throw cushion

GOOD TO HAVE

float for your keys
stereo with blutooth to always have music and keep your phone protected
Gulf Coast Aggie
AG
I like to have a small tool kit, and you need to have flares also.
Gulf Coast Aggie
AG
Also needed is a throwable ring or boat cushion with straps serves the same purpose.
Brush Country
JUMPER CABLES
Caliber
AG
Battery Tender/Charger.
45-70Ag
AG
Yeah the drain plug is important.
My great grandfather took me out one day when i was young and forgot to put in the drain plug. Boat took on water and he got it in. He sold the boat right after that. He was about 80 and i was 8. About pissed my pants out there that day.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Koozies and a random assortment of 3/4 empty sunscreen containers.
WishIWasTheWeather
AG
Is a fender and a bumper the same thing?
Lonestar-aught-six
Small tool box with assorted tools
Dry boxes
Extra battery
Rope 50' in case you need to be towed
Paddles
DoubleOught-BMA
AG
BoatUS towing membership. Unlimited freshwater towing for $72 is worth the piece of mind. I had to get towed a few months ago and it cost me $180 because I wasn't a member. Won't make that mistake again.
Furlock Bones
AG
WishIWasTheWeather said:

Is a fender and a bumper the same thing?
aw, yes.
cbr
AG
sell it and find friends with boats...
FishingAggie
5 gallon bucket.
Holds your stuff and If you forget the drain plugs....
Tagguy
AG
Milwaukees Best Light said:

Koozies and a random assortment of 3/4 empty sunscreen containers.
Bonus points if the sunscreen is expired
Salt of the water
AG
Gulf Coast Aggie said:

I like to have a small tool kit, and you need to have flares also.

Don't think flares are required inland. Just federal waters. Not saying it's bad idea to get them anyway.

I'd get a distress flag and a uscg approved electric flare for lake boating. I prefer to store and replace spare batteries than flares that expire.
CharlieBrown17
AG
A couple friends that know how to drive, load, unload a boat. Sucks being the only person with experience
Ragoo
AG
Gas can with 2gal extra if you have a place to store.
Furlock Bones
AG
also, if you are not proficient with backing up trailers, then it is much better to practice in an empty parking lot than on a narrow, steep ramp.
MouthBQ98
AG
Second anchor and rope. The wind and waves don't always cooperate with positioning your boat, and having two anchors can go a long way towards getting the boat to stay exactly where you want it.
jja79
AG
Don't forget to get a bunch of extra money. You'll need it.
IslandAg76
AG
Working bilge pump
Col. Steve Austin
AG
Furlock Bones said:

also, if you are not proficient with backing up trailers, then it is much better to practice in an empty parking lot than on a narrow, steep ramp with 100 people watching and critiquing your every move.
FIFY!
I am not the Six Million Dollar Man, but I might need that surgery. "We have the technology, we can rebuild him!"
Bighunter43
AG
Lonestar-aught-six said:

Small tool box with assorted tools
Dry boxes
Extra battery
Rope 50' in case you need to be towed
Paddles

This all good stuff, but I might add:
Extra fuses
Several extra sets of keys
Make sure your spare tire is good and you have the proper tools to change it (get a 4 way lugnut wrench)
Signel
AG
Here are the real world problems from this weekend...

1. The ignition switch started spinning in circles. It took a vice grips and some needle nose to get that sucker to stay put so I could start the damn boat while getting beat up by waves =( Always be prepared. Tools are a must.

2. I needed that second anchor as Mouth said because I was swinging back and forth from the front anchor, and my brother took the small fold up out of my boat a few months back. I forgot....

3. Get good at solo launch, and don't screw around at the ramp. Get in and out quick so others don't have to wait on you. I had some kids swimming at the dock so I had to beach the boat and go get the truck. I was quick enough, but some guy had to wait, and was laughing at the kids in the way. I didn't want to ruin their fun.

4. Get one of those small portable lithium jump starter packs that also has 110v AC, and some USB chargers. I put mine in a dry bag, and it has saved the day on many Bluetooth speakers, dead cellphones, Ipad(Navionics) and just about anything else you can think of that needs power, and it will start a f250. I have a HALO that my MiL gave me. Friggen awesome lifesaver. Do not get them wet..... Used it to keep the big speaker going yesterday.

5. life vests that fit. My daughter has burns from swimming in the old one from last year =(

Questions:

Is the BoatUS towing worth having at the basic level? I've always just called family, but my Dad is getting too old to come out and help.
dahouse
AG
Cheap bag of bungee cords. Stuff likes to bounce around in boats.

Extra drain plugs

Extra prop and nut w/cotter pin

Cheap tool kit
Cody
Fightin Texas Aggie c/o 04
CSTXAg92
AG
Sunglasses & hat.
MouthBQ98
AG
Sunblock that hasn't sat out in the heat for months. Or you will look like this emoticon.
WishIWasTheWeather
AG
Thanks for the replies. Great stuff. I had a lot of it covered, but there were a few items that I definitely didn't think of (i.e. extra drain plugs, tools for changing the trailer tire).

There is a reason the Outdoor Board has such a great reputation.
Michael Shumard
A second kill switch in case the first gets lost/broken

Make sure the boat has multiple batteries as part of the system. Don't count on one

Tow boat USA membership

Backup registration card (from tpwd)
Michael Shumard
Oh... and some sort of stabil fuel additive. More boats are in shop from ethanol then anything else.

Personally I use PRI-G.
Salt of the water
AG
The boat-ed texas boating handbook has a handy required equipment chart towards the end. Lots of other handy information in the booklet.

https://www.boat-ed.com/assets/pdf/handbook/tx_handbook_entire.pdf

If you plan on using lots of electronic accessories like stereos, lights, gps, vhf radios, fish finders, etc; you'd benefit from a two battery system. If your boat doesn't already have two batteries, there are two ways you can set it up.

1. Two battery switch (blue sea 5511e) with on, off, and combine. This allows you to segregate your starting battery, house battery (accessories), and combine them in an emergency.
2. "Perko switch" 1, 2, off, or both - Use one battery for everything and keep the other fresh in reserve. The "Both" option is a last resort.

I prefer the first option because your starting battery only gets used for starting and is never drained by accessories. Even better if you couple it with a charging relay so that the motors alternator charges both batteries.
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.