Outdoors
Sponsored by

PSAK

1,472 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by CTGilley
Pete98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Anyone have any idea of the quality of the Palmetto State Armory AK's? They have some blemished ones on sale pretty cheap.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
Depends on how cheap? I haven't been impressed with them but I also don't hate them like RAS7s
Owner of Texian Firearms:
Dealer in Firearms, Optics, Night Vision and other shooting accessories.
US importer/distributor of Rudolph Optics
Supporting bad financial decisions since 2015
BenderRodriguez
AG
For most products, American made is better.

For AKs, some Slav squat magic is apparently required to build a good one.

I wouldn't buy an American AK personally.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
BenderRodriguez said:

For most products, American made is better.

For AKs, some Slav squat magic is apparently required to build a good one.

I wouldn't buy an American AK personally.
I think it's a combination of they've been doing them forever plus labor costs. To get cheap AKs domestically, they have to cut costs somewhere.
BenderRodriguez
AG
100% agree. The costs required to do things right here and the difficulties involved and experience required to correctly match sometimes poorly or incorrectly machined parts on an AK without leading to tolerance stacking and other failures is very hard to do at the prices Americans are willing to pay for an AK.

You might get lucky with one for 1,000...2,000...even 5,000 rounds but with imported AKs being the prices they are I see no reason to roll the dice.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
BenderRodriguez said:

100% agree. The costs required to do things right here and the difficulties involved and experience required to correctly match sometimes poorly or incorrectly machined parts on an AK without leading to tolerance stacking and other failures is very hard to do at the prices Americans are willing to pay for an AK.

You might get lucky with one for 1,000...2,000...even 5,000 rounds but with imported AKs being the prices they are I see no reason to roll the dice.
Exactly, there are good American AKs but not good and cheap. C39V2s are usually pretty decent. And there are a handful of small custom shops that do them. We looked into it and noped out of that for now.
Pete98
AG
Thanks for the replies. It was $500 delivered so I went ahead. It will just be another in the collection so no big deal if it doesn't pan out.

BenderRodriguez
AG
Good luck with it, I enjoy shooting AKs.

Worst case scenario, PSA has good customer service. Best case, you get an American AK that runs well.

I've mostly shifted to ARs but am happy to talk AKs if you have any accessory questions or need any other info.
Pete98
Pete98
AG
quick update if anyone was curious.

I took the new PSAK out and shot it for the first time yesterday. I went through four 30 rd magazines of different kinds (pmag and various euro milsurp) to test basic functionality. It goes boom every time with no malfunctions through 120 rounds. Seems pretty solid. I didn't do any accuracy testing or target shooting but hit a sheet of notebook paper at about 60 yards just to see if it was anywhere close.

I'll let you know in about 15 years when I've put a couple thousand through it.

Only complaint I have so far is that the dust cover is kind of tough to get on and off compared to my other AK's.
CTGilley
AG
Let us know when your shoot it for accuracy. If it is decent I may pick one up.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.