Outdoors
Sponsored by

Another snake bite.

5,614 Views | 37 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by dolch
Furlock Bones
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
http://cbsaustin.com/news/nation-world/anderson-man-is-in-critical-condition-after-being-struck-by-a-rattlesnake-two-times

Quote:

A 28-year-old Anderson man is in critical condition after being bitten by a rattlesnake Saturday morning.

According to officials, the victim was bitten twice in the hand when he and some friends were kayaking on the Edisto River and the snake dropped from a tree.
98Ag99Grad
AG
Dropped from a tree? Great, one more thing to worry about.
LEJ
Bad luck is the worst kind.
Furlock Bones
AG
that's got to be pretty damned rare. but, that ish is a nightmare for me.
BrazosDog02
AG
You know who didn't have snakes? Hiroshima.

Do it.
Badace52
AG
'Tis the season...
CM
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Serious Lee
dropped from a tree my ass. they were throwing rocks or sticks at it
Tx-Ag2010
AG
water turkey
What River? Never heard of it.
Brush Country
ATVing....out

Kayaking...out

What's next?
BrazosDog02
AG
Bed .... Out

F-in spiders, bruh.
aggiedata
AG
Just asking the OB here: Has anyone ever seen a rattlesnake in a tree?
BenFiasco14
AG
98Ag99Grad said:

Dropped from a tree? Great, one more thing to worry about.
Which is sort of common...but not for rattlesnakes at least based on my limited understanding... definitely sounds like we're missing something
BrownDeerAggie
AG
Edisto River is in South Carolina. Man was from Anderson, SC instead of Anderson, TX
ursusguy
AG
It is one of the longest undammed river in the US, and is located in South Carolina. Likely a Eastern diamondback, which are known to play with trees some while the are small (which is pretty short lived with how large they can get).
B-1 83
AG
aggiedata said:

Seen them swimming, and neighbor in Uvalde was bitten by one on some drift while wade fishing in Baffin. I guess it's possible.....
ursusguy
AG
Let me see if I still have it. I shot a photo of a 3 footer in a mesquite tree at the Perch Pond in Cedar Hill SP. That was about 8 years ago.
RFD
AG
I have seen one drop out of a tree and almost hit a guy mowing the lawn, in Pleasanton several years back.
hillcountryag86
AG
aggiedata said:

Was in Sanderson, TX on a horse working sheep. Two of us on a tight trail with me riding behind the other guy. He stops his horse, turns back and asked if I saw the rattler we just passed. I didn't see it. Four feet off the ground, completely stretched out in some brush, just off the trail we were riding.
Spotted Ag
AG
RFD said:

I have seen one drop out of a tree and almost hit a guy mowing the lawn, in Pleasanton several years back.
They don't just "drop" out of trees. They ATTACK FROM ABOVE!!!
FlyFish95
Stay inside. Play XBOX.
LSB_2002
AG
Shi+fire!!!!
agcrock2005
Oogway
Welp, conservatives finally found something they can deploy when the liberal treehuggers grow too high in numbers....
oragator
growing up in Florida they aren't uncommon.
They aren't particularly mean, if it was a low hanging branch or something I could see it taking umbrage. Especially if he grabbed a branch for some reason. Could have just fallen out at that point.
yaterag
AG
Yes. Fishing on O.H. Ivie growing up. We were fishing around the trees for crappie. We butted up to a group of trees and didn't notice a rattlesnake in it. A few minutes later we were in a bass boat with a pisswd off snake. Thankfully my friends dad was comfortable with snakes and quicky got it out of the boat. I was 2 seconds from swimming back to shore.
Furlock Bones
AG
so i saw a screen caption on the facebook that may clear things up a bit. according to the post, the victim's brother said they saw it in the tree and the victim either tried to grab or messed with it in some way.

so, as usual, most of the time if you leave them alone, you won't get bit.
aggiedata
AG
Thanks for the rattlesnake in a tree stories. I have never seen one in a tree and I will now keep my eyes up and open as well for that possibility.

Yeah, many snake bite stories involve someone messing with the snake on purpose. Easy to avoid that.
Alte Schule
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2018/05/23/snakebite-victims-family-changes-story-about-camping-trip-injury.html
PooDoo
AG
?ve=1&tl=1
fta09
AG
Quote:

"When somebody yelled they'd seen an alligator, he decided he was going to go after it and it turned out to be a snake and he still grabbed it," Colquitt said. "He reached in, grabbed it and it bit him three times in the hand. He turned around and said, 'Well, it bit me,' and we started paddling."
Furlock Bones
AG
ursusguy
AG
Gee shocking, especially after simply seeing the photo. Now let's find out his BAC. I would question how an alligator morphed into an snake. But I've seen drunk wildlife id go from "It's a turkey let's chase it" to "oh it's a bear, we have to chase it" to "oh sh-- it's a sku.........". To be fair, the dude grew up in BFE Tennessee, it was dark, and he had spent the previous 4 hours at the St. James.
Bird93
AG
It's 2018!!! How is it still legal for snakes to bite people?!
AZAG08
AG
ursusguy said:

I would question how an alligator morphed into an snake.
I had the same thought. The only thing I could think of is they thought it was a baby alligator

....but now I'm trying to apply "rational" thinking to this guy
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.