Outdoors
Sponsored by

how reliable is craigslist? (not tool box related)

2,824 Views | 28 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Fishin Texas Aggie 05
Fishin Texas Aggie 05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
so ive had my kayak fore sale for about a month its been all over the typical places (2cool, TKF, and all the applicable facebook sale pages). Are there any fees for criagslist? anything to watch out for?

its a 2015 hobie outback titled for a motor with all the accouterments one would need. ive been asking $2,500 but have only got offers ranging from $500 to a old ACOG to an old boat with no titles (which i turned down)

any other ideas or things im missing?
MisterShipWreck
I have sold tons of things on TexAgs and a few things on Craigslist - although, it has been a while on Craigslist...

People from Craigslist are ALWAYS late at the meeting time. A LOT late. Never have that issue on TexAgs people showing up on time (I never meet anyone at my home or their home).

Don't Craigslist ads expire after a while? I think they are also listed by date order. I usually delete the ad and repost it after a week. That keeps it in the "view" of others easier.
stdeb11
AG
I buy/sell lots of things on Craigslist. It works well, although it seems now Facebook groups are becoming a more popular way to sell things. There are no fee's (hence the ancient looking website) Craigslist ads expire within a month. You can "renew" the posting to bump it back up to the top every week I think.

Only sell face to face and take cash. No "my buddy will come pick it up, can you ship it, i'll wire payment, etc."...And if possible bring a friend and meet in a public place. Never had an issue, but have met some strange people. Also figure out your bottom dollar and expect low ball offers too.

BrazosDog02
AG
In my opinion, CL is fine. I buy stuff on there occasionally, but it always has a risk. Always do face to face.

Also, in my opinion as a seller, like everything else in life, if I have advertised all over the place and am not getting bites, or am getting low bids, then the item is overpriced, or the item is not in demand, which in turn means it's overpriced.

It is not Texags. There is a huge advantage to buying and selling on a site that you can be destroyed or shamed on.

Just set your expectations accordingly for a site that has no fees, no regulation, and is open to gen-pop.
Salt of the water
AG
Seems like you're having trouble selling it for just under the new price on the sites you already have it listed. Craigslist will get you more eyeballs but probably won't help much with selling it at that price.

I'd drop the price a little on the more reliable sites before listing on CL and wading through the BS. But that's just me...
Tagguy
AG
I'll start the bidding at $501
Fishin Texas Aggie 05
AG
Brand new they are $2,550

I have another couple hundred tied up in titling and extras. So I was hoping to ask around $2,500 OBO and get something north of $2,000.
MouthBQ98
AG
Craigslist is more or less almost an open source type thing that is free to use. It is wide open with very simple security so keep in mind lots of people may try to scam you. That's why you only should deal with local cash offers. I've bought and sold many things on Craigslist. Cash and local.
Salt of the water
AG
Just brainstorming here: The titling may actually be a detractor. A buyer would be responsible for filling out the tpwd transfer forms to get the title changed over and pay sales tax and tpwd fees. If they're looking for just a paddle/peddle kayak, you're causing them extra grief because of the title.

If you were packaging it with a motor then it may be different.
harge57
AG
As soon as something seems fishy on craigslist, RUN! It is likely a scam. Just delete the email/text and wait for another real buyer.

I also suggest not putting your phone number on the ad or you will get spammed. I used to use a seperate gmail account for dealing with craigslist, but using their email pass through option I quit doing that and don't seem to have any issues just using my normal email.
Woods Ag
AG
Buy and sell on CL all the time. Picked up a freezer yesterday. Picking up another one today..

I never meet at my house. Don't mind meeting at theirs
RCR06
AG
Not a bad plan and I'm not saying your price is that far off from what it should be. I have no idea on this kayak or what accessories you have on it. If I'm looking at something that costs $2500 and see a used one for the same price with a couple extras on it I'm probably just gonna buy new and add what I want. Other people may be looking at it thinking I want that kayak, but couldn't care less if it's registered for a motor or has whatever accessories/upgrades. So there goes your perceived increase in value. People are generally looking for good deals on these websites(i.e. half of what it is new).
Burnsey
AG
Craigslist works great, especially if you're trying to get rid of a booth seat in your neighbor's driveway.
NoahAg
CL is fine as long as you use common sense.
Duncan Idaho
Fishin Texas Aggie 05 said:

I have another couple hundred tied up in titling and extras. So I was hoping to ask around $2,500 OBO and get something north of $2,000.

If you are that close to retail, you probably won't get a serious look.

When I a trolling Craigslist the price has to be just right.

Too high and I think it is a scam.

Too low and I think it is a scam.

A high price with obo makes me think they aren't serious about the obo part. But feel the advertised high price is fair and they might take $10-20 off, if they like you face.

Martin Q. Blank

To get that price, a person on craigslist will be specifically looking for a 2015 Hobie Outback and must have it. i.e. nobody.

Your craigslist buyer is looking for a kayak. Which you can find a good one $1000 new. So why would they pay $2500 for a used one?

That's why you're getting offers for $500.
JSKolache
AG

Won't happen.
fightingfarmer09
There are Hobie Outbacks in good condition on OfferUp and other CL alternatives for about half what you have it listed at.

$2500-3000 should get you a Hobie pro angler with gear and probably a trailer based on the Texas coastal CL market currently.

Market is saturated and folks would rather by new.

Titled for a motor and trolling motor add one just cut out about 70% of the market, which is new comers to the sport or folks upgrading from a cheaper brand.
big ben
MouthBQ98
AG
Just don't buy truck bed boxes without asking to meet in a public place.
AggieGunslinger
AG
"Extras" rarely add much value since someone in the market for a $2500 kayak already has all the extras they need unless it is a trailer, even then the trailer will probably just help it sell fast not for substantially more.

Mule_lx
AG
Woods Ag said:

Buy and sell on CL all the time. Picked up a freezer yesterday. Picking up another one today..

I never meet at my house. Don't mind meeting at theirs

This seem Dahmer like to anyone else?
aggieforester05
AG
I just listed a large lot of restaurant equipment on craigslist and facebook yesterday. I've gotten a huge response from facebook and only two scammer text messages from craigslist.

When I sold my truck a few months back I dumped a bunch of money on autotrader, cars.com, and ebay. Cars.com got very few views, autotrader got about ten times, that and ebay, got ten times as many as autotrader. I was inundated with craigslist scammers with that truck, it was ridiculous. Just ignore any message that doesn't have proper english and you'll eliminate most scammers.

That being said, I've bought a lot of stuff off craigslist and never had any problems on that front.
Woods Ag
AG
Nah. Just a home brewer and both my kegerator **** the bed.
Streetfighter 02
AG
It's an online garage sale. If you ask $2500 expect to be lowballed.
Fishin Texas Aggie 05
AG
Sold it for $2,200

I'm pretty excited about it. Bad news is a cheap scooter just popped up on Facebook.
Salt of the water
AG

Sold it for $2,200

I'm pretty excited about it. Bad news is a cheap scooter just popped up on Facebook.

Why is that bad news? Sounds like everything is coming together nicely.
shAGgin wAGgin
AG
Try the Texas Fishing Forums. If you havent ever registered there then you may have a wait before you can post a for sale ad, but I think you can pay a small fee and get access to post in the Trade and Swap section. You could also just post in their kayak fishing section and hope a buyer sees it before they remove your post. Another good option is http://www.bbcboards.net/forumdisplay.php?f=164, they dont have a wait period here but people are a little shy of new posters with no reputation.
RCR06
AG
He sold it two posts above
Fishin Texas Aggie 05
AG
Salt of the water said:

Sold it for $2,200

Why is that bad news? Sounds like everything is coming together nicely.

Got more info on the boat. It's a 80's-90's hull so that means it's all wood. I asked about soft spots and got no reply.

The search continues
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.