Outdoors
Sponsored by

Old tool people/farm folks

2,405 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Allen76
Log
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Any ideas on this? The "jaws" have serrations, and there is "NEWXXX" on the lower jaw of the larger end (X's aren't readable yet, and I'm not sure how many letters there are total). Center hole looks to be threaded, and there looks to be a "line" punched into the surface on both sides that bisects each of the holes. You can barely see it on the top hole in the pic. It's been soaking in vinegar for the last 24hrs and is about free time of rust at this point. Found it this past weekend as were cleaning out the garage at the farm. Grandfather was born in 1919, grew up on a farm, went to war in 1941, then came home and farmed/ranched the rest of his life. I've restored a lot of his old tools over the last couple of years, but just ran across this one.
tx4guns
AG
Just a guess, but maybe sheep shear blades?
Log
AG
They had sheep in the 50's, but this looks more like a wrench. The "jaws" are thick (side to side), and are serrated like Channel-lock pliers.
wyoag77
AG
Can we see another photo of it once you have it de-scaled?
DriftwoodAg
AG
Alligator wrench
https://old-orchard-antiques.myshopify.com/products/vintage-edmonds-metzel-alligator-wrench-and-re-threader
$240 Worth of Pudding
AG
Wow. First I've ever heard of these. Cool!
TwoMarksHand
AG
I assume you're soaking it to knock off the rust? If so, what is your concoction?
chris1515
AG
https://craftworktools.com/70451.html

Quote:

The "Alligator" wrench the type is so-called because of its shape, like an "alligators mouth". Others may know it as a Goat Wrench or an Always Ready Wrench. Historically it was used to turn iron and steel pipes and rods which could not be turned with a regular wrench. A pipefitter often used such a tool in fitting or removing air and water-piping from a locomotive.
stdeb11
AG
Awesome...learned something new today
Log
AG
I just use plain white vinegar.

I did some reading, and it seems that these were used a lot by on steam pipes in the railroad industry. My grandfather worked for the railroad in 1940-41 before he was drafted; he may have picked it up there. He told stories of being on one of the first trains into Galveston to repair tracks after a hurricane. They had to make sure and stay inside the locomotive/railcars, since all of the bridge structure that was above water had snakes on them, seeking refuge from the floodwaters.
DriftwoodAg
AG
Texas 1836
AG
hot_rod_9384 said:

65 cents ... I'd pay twice that
BrazosDog02
AG
Soak it in cider.
mandevilleag
Vinegar works fair, but if you want to clean rusty tools safely and quickly try Evaporust. The stuff works. And you can use it over and over again until it turns black.

https://www.amazon.com/Evapo-Rust-ER004-Super-Safe-Remover/dp/B00GRSOJSS
BrazosDog02
AG
https://www.walmart.com/ip/The-Works-Disinfectant-Toilet-Bowl-Cleaner-Value-Pack-64-fl-oz/21930755

This works better than ANYTHING. Seriously. This is what I use for heavy rust, motorcycle/atv fuel tanks, etc. It will remove rust and expose shiny NEW metal.

The catch is, it's HCL, use gloves, cover your eyes, after about a 30 min soak, take the tool out, rinse it with water and SOAK IT DOWN WITh WD40 to remove all water. Do it immediately. This rust treatment will flash rust if you don't.

Evaporust is expensive. It it what I use when I restore old hand planes. It works amazingly well and is a lot gentler on things. As it ages, it leaves oxides that have to be removes. So, unless it's a sensitive part, I use HCL. That **** is about a buck a bottle.
Allen76
AG
Texas 1836 said:

hot_rod_9384 said:

65 cents ... I'd pay twice that
Remember postage is included too !
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.