Outdoors
Sponsored by

Fishing SPI

1,210 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by EFE
AgPT06
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Going to south padre island for next 4 days. Renting condo with friends. We have a total of 5 kids under age of 6 with us. Never been before. Anywhere I could go to for a few hours one evening/night to fish? Not looking for a boat, just a pier or easy shoreline to wet a line.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Do you wade? Near the convention center is where I have always gone. Also a few spots near the bridge.
FJB
AG
North of the convention center for sure. I used to go gigging flr flounder south of the coast guard station but that was years ago. Also used to wade just east and north of Port Isabel HS, but again that was a long time ago.
Salt of the water
AG
The jetties are a good option at sunrise or sunset. Just make sure you wear good shoes and take a light if you're staying out until dark.

You could also hit the surf if you have a vehicle that can drive down aways past the crowds.
Mark Fairchild
AG
Live in Rockport, SPI'd many times. You have 5 miles of beach (beach road) that is 2 wheel drive possible, the end of that area is clearly marked. This ares is the one most used by families. There will be plenty of folks along that 5 mile stretch. You can even surf fish there, but with that many littles probably best just to enjoy beach and surf.
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
AgPT06
AG
Thanks for the replies. Kiddos won't be joining the fishing. My friend and I may try the jetties one evening.
Whoop96
AG
Eat at Captain Roy's and try the diablo shrimp at the very bottom of the menu. Captain Roy is always there and a hoot. His son is an Aggie.
MouthBQ98
AG
Any place under lights after dark will be constant action.
EFE
AG
I'm pretty sure I've caught and released a couple of state record skip jacks by running a gold spoon in the surf just north of the jetties. If you fish the jetties bring lots of bait or smaller hooks, bait thieves abound. Wading at night and casting to the lights on the pier at the KOA can lead to quick limits on trout, but you may want to do some day time recon because it goes from waist deep to over your head in a hurry.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.