Outdoors
Sponsored by

Pistol Question. Slide Release

2,737 Views | 27 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Puryear Playboy
Madman
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I was told today that releasing the slide with the slide catch is a no no. I did some googling and it seems there are conflicting opinions.

What does Texags say?
NonNewtonian
AG
jabberwalkie09
AG
Depends how the pistol was designed imo. Glocks were designed with the catch to be a slide stop, and using it as a release can wear it out over time. Then again, it's a Glock and parts for Glocks are cheap and I tend to sling shot the slide anyways.

On the other hand, 1911's and HK's I have no problem with using the catch as a slide release.
FIDO 96
AG
I'm pretty sure my Kahr PM45 suggested/said to use the slide release to put a round in battery. Usually I rack the slide.
gibberish
AG
Either doesn't matter as long as you practice and are repeatable. And parts maintenance is expected with all mechanical tools.
Tx-Ag2010
AG
I almost always use the slide release on my 1911. Never had any issues...
BCStalk
I always use the slide catch on my XDs. If they didn't intend for it to be used as a release then they wouldn't have added the slotted grip on both sides of the taper.

And it looks cooler...
TwoMarksHand
AG
If I'm shooting in a competition I will slide release my CZ-75. Just quicker. Although I have a small habit of riding the release anyway and accidentally letting it go too soon.

I'm I'm just at the range, I rack the slide.
AggiePetro07
AG
I was told it wasn't due to parts issues, but rather due to being tactically superior.

During a reload is when you have a higher probability of mechanical malfunction. If you've conditioned yourself to insert the new magazine and release the slide with your weak hand, your hand is closer to the gun if you have to clear a jam, stovepipe, etc. Tap - Rack - Bang is apparently faster and easier if your hand is on or near the gun.

Also, for most people having to move your hand to release the slide stop will alter your POA some amount. For some this might be small, but it can easily be significant enough to require extra time to get back on target.

Having said that I haven't kicked the habit of thumbing the slide release on my 1911 or XD
BenderRodriguez
AG
AggiePetro07 said:

I was told it wasn't due to parts issues, but rather due to being tactically superior.

Who told you that?

'03ag
One way works on most every semi auto handgun you'll ever pick up. I'd practice that one
lexofer
AG
jabberwalkie09 said:

Depends how the pistol was designed imo. Glocks were designed with the catch to be a slide stop, and using it as a release can wear it out over time. Then again, it's a Glock and parts for Glocks are cheap and I tend to sling shot the slide anyways.
Never heard that. Always use the slide release on my Glocks, 10's of thousands of rounds and nightly dryfire for many years. All the slide releases are still functioning as intended. Have worn out springs, extractors and barrels.
dr_boogs
AG
Very good 1911 gunsmith told me years ago that it was preferable not to use the slide stop to release the slide on an empty chamber for 1911's. But if loaded w a mag / ammo you were good to go. Said it had to do w the spring slamming the slide home un-impeded by loading. Probably 1911 folklore but that's what he said.
txyaloo
AG
AggiePetro07 said:

Also, for most people having to move your hand to release the slide stop will alter your POA some amount. For some this might be small, but it can easily be significant enough to require extra time to get back on target.
Most people already have to alter their grip to drop the magazine. If your hands are large enough, you drop the slide with your strong hand. Otherwise, you hit the side release after the mag change while your weak hand is coming into its support position. You're much closer to the gun this way compared to doing a slingshot.
the pit man
dr_boogs said:

Very good 1911 gunsmith told me years ago that it was preferable not to use the slide stop to release the slide on an empty chamber for 1911's. But if loaded w a mag / ammo you were good to go. Said it had to do w the spring slamming the slide home un-impeded by loading. Probably 1911 folklore but that's what he said.
When at Gunsite, way back when Jeff Cooper was still alive and running it, he said releasing it on an empty chamber was bad for the trigger sear for the reason you quoted. I always hold the slide and lower it slowly when empty, but use the slide release when loading a round.
OldCamp
I've taken some tactical classes that taught to sling shot the slide because using the slide stop could cause you to accidentally prematurely release the slide before the magazine was slammed Home thereby dropping the slide on an empty chamber (a dangerous situation in a fight)

Other classes taught to use the slide stop because it allowed faster reloads and avoided the potential of accidentally "riding" the slide Home which could cause the gun to fail to go into battery.

80sGeorge
AG
the pit man said:

dr_boogs said:

When at Gunsite, way back when Jeff Cooper was still alive and running it, he said releasing it on an empty chamber was bad for the trigger sear for the reason you quoted. I always hold the slide and lower it slowly when empty, but use the slide release when loading a round.

Heard same from 1911 builder/smith. He also included mentioning my SIG 938 as it has similar workings.

NRH ag 10
AG
Use the slide release. It is faster, and getting an empty gun loaded faster is better than slower.

I've had multiple people say "it's a fine motor skill and you won't do it under stress" multiple times over the years. I've done it in competition, hands covered in sweat or water, and when my hands were so cold they were going numb. No issues even with the tiny release glocks come with standard. If I can't perform fine motor skills under stress I might as well give up because everything necessary to shoot a pistol involves a fine motor skill.
reddog90
AG
My 19's slide releases on it's own when I feed the gun a new mag.
TwoMarksHand
AG
reddog90 said:

You may be riding the slide release by accident. I do that from time to time.
AggiePetro07
AG
BenderRodriguez said:

AggiePetro07 said:

Who told you that?

a mall ninja.
Puryear Playboy
AG
NRH ag 10 said:

Use the slide release. It is faster, and getting an empty gun loaded faster is better than slower.

I've had multiple people say "it's a fine motor skill and you won't do it under stress" multiple times over the years. I've done it in competition, hands covered in sweat or water, and when my hands were so cold they were going numb. No issues even with the tiny release glocks come with standard. If I can't perform fine motor skills under stress I might as well give up because everything necessary to shoot a pistol involves a fine motor skill.

I still hear that a lot. Next time someone says that to you ask them if they have ever seen the inside of an F15 cockpit...there are six buttons on the stick alone, three on the throttle. Think that pilot isn't under a bit of "stress"? Whatever.

You don't rise to the occasion, you fall to the level of your training.

OP, there are a few things in play here. Some old, some new.

Remember, metallurgy hasn't always been what we have today. Sometimes it still isn't. In the 1911 there is very (sometimes very, very) little engagement surface between the sear and the hammer. Dropping the slide on an empty chamber results in higher slide velocity which can batter these two surfaces since your finger is not on the trigger (which holds the sear away from the hammer.)

The correct way to put the slide forward on a 1911 (empty, or not) is to depress the trigger and hold it down, release the slide, then release the trigger. Now I know a lot of you guys just got a little dizzy, maybe even some pee came out...it's OK. But that's how it is done with a real gun, back when men were men.

On non 1911s, it's a constant discussion in training circles whether to "rip" the slide, or use the release with the support thumb. Good arguments for both. Properly done, slide ripping (which most of you don't do properly) is slower and less precise. But it's a fact that one of the most common spots to get shot in a gunfight is in the hands, so the loss of a finger or two won't keep you from ripping the slide.

I teach support thumb due to speed, efficiency, certainty of having a hot gun, and commonality of the motion with other platforms (the combat reload of an AR is now the same set of motions and eye disciplines).

Wear of parts like the slide stop? That's guncounter gun store BS.
reddog90
AG
TwoMarksHand said:

reddog90 said:

You may be riding the slide release by accident. I do that from time to time.
No, this is not the cause on my gun.

But I do sometimes ride the release and the gun doesn't go into slide lock on an empty mag.
BenderRodriguez
AG
'03ag said:

One way works on most every semi auto handgun you'll ever pick up. I'd practice that one
I can think of three semi auto guns that don't have a slide release.

I wouldn't recommend any of them for carry anyway.
BenderRodriguez
AG
AggiePetro07 said:

BenderRodriguez said:

AggiePetro07 said:

Who told you that?

a mall ninja.

Kinda sounded like it when you wrote it.

Don't give mall ninjas additional press.
schmellba99
AG
dr_boogs said:

If it's folklore, it's good folklore as I've heard and read the same thing from multiple people. The spring is designed to have the additional mass of a loaded round when going into battery, without it the face of the breech will eventually deform and can cause issues. Takes a lot of empty slams to happen, but just in case - I ease it down by hand on an empty chamber.
Puryear Playboy
AG
03Ag was talking about slide ripping.
BenderRodriguez
AG
Puryear Playboy said:

03Ag was talking about slide ripping.

I know. I was saying there are very, very few pistols I can think of that don't have a slide release, so arguing that "some pistols don't have one" isn't a very good reason to teach a slide rip over hitting the release when the likelihood of someone choosing to carry and use a pistol without one in a situation where the speed of their reload would matter is slim to none.
Puryear Playboy
AG
You are not going to damage the breach face.

It's about the hammer/sear engagement and also, if you have tightly fitted locking lugs (on top of the barrel), battering them.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.