Outdoors
Sponsored by

Trolling lure help

1,102 Views | 3 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Salt of the water
Salt of the water
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I've got some new trolling lures that need to be rigged. Looking for recommendations on how to rig them up.

What size/style of hooks?
Mono, piano wire, coated wire? Test?
How long on the leaders?

The first time I'll probably use them is the Bahamas. It's supposed to be prime Mahi season while we're there and there's a chance of late season wahoo and early season tuna from what I've read. Strong chance of cudas. The hoos and cudas are making me think wire, but is that going to screw up the mahi bite and any chance of tuna?

After the Bahamas, I'm planning on using the lures in the GOM for nearshore action. Mahi, bonita, kings, etc. If I need to rig differently for this than Bahamas I will, but it'd be nice to just rig them once.

I have the following lures, not sure if they all need to be rigged differently:

Iland tracker - 4.5" weighted bullet heads
    Iland sailure - 6" unweighted conical head
    Some off brand 6" plastic conical head lures
    An assortment of Manns stretch 25s

The stretch 25 divers are for trolling the patch reefs for grouper and big mutton snapper. I've done it with some success on heavy mono leaders over there before, but not sure if I should be pulling them outside the reef for pelagics as well. If I should (wahoo?) how should I rig then?
CS78
275lb 49 strand cable on the divers. Tuna, grouper, etc will hit these fine with cable on them. 3ft is fine.

A hard 200lb mono like suffix superior on the small trolling lures. 12ft if you might be in marlin water. 6ft if not. Check leaders after each toothy fish. You can use the 49 strand to make a short hookset once inside the lure. This also sets the hook further back for better hookups. Prevents cutoffs during the fight. You'll be surprised how many cudas and wahoo you can catch on mono leader without cutting off. They tend to hit the lure mid body and not touch the leader.

The owner 11/0 ballyhoo hook is a great hook for ilanders and other smaller sized lures. Strong enough for big fish, but light weight and really dam sharp. Real good hook and cheap too. The long shank helps remove the need for any steel cable inside the lure. http://www.meltontackle.com/products/owner-long-shank-hooks.html
Arctic Ag
AG
Get some GT ice creams. Top water plugs that we used to catch monster tuna and dorado at work in Africa

https://www.gticecream.com/
KRamp90
AG
I'd also a few King Getters if they are still around. Also, the large Rattle Traps.
Salt of the water
AG
Thanks CS78. That's very helpful.

Arctic ag - how do those troll? They look like they would cast great but no sure how they'd troll.

Kramp90 - I may actually have some hand me down king getters tucked away somewhere. Any major difference between those and the Manns stretch divers other than the durability of an all metal lure?
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.