Outdoors
Sponsored by

Looking for a tent

2,861 Views | 35 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by chaca5151
chaca5151
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Holy crap! I have no clue where to start, we are a family of 3 looking to go camping here in the next month. We are not new to camping but I am new to buying a tent.

Any recommendations on what to get? We want something that will last, and is big enough to get out of the sun if we need to.
Not everyone gets the same version of me. One person might tell you I have an amazing beautiful soul. Another might tell you I’m a cold-hearted a$$^ole. Believe them both. I don’t treat people badly. I treat them accordingly - unknown
AgEng06
AG
What's your budget and potential types of weather usage?
BlueSmoke
https://www.sierratradingpost.com/tents~d~228/
Nobody cares. Work Harder
bam02
AG
If you are likely tiny car camp occasionally I recommend one of the "EZ-Up" style that have the frame built in.
BrazosDog02
AG
Website posted has some very decent tents, excellent tents for the money.

Anyway, don't cheap out here....it can make or break a camping trip. I camped for 6 weeks out west and there is a really warm and fuzzy feeling watching your neighbors tent blow away from a desert wind storm and watching yours hold fast with solid rigging and high quality materials.
FIDO 96
AG
For an annual camping trip at my parents place, i needed to replace my old tent. Got a 12-person instantl up from Core Equipment. Google search for the best price or see if Costco still has them.

Plenty of room for the 4 of us with air mattresses and and inflatable sofa!
reddog90
AG
Look at Outdoor Gear Lab reviews.
LSB_2002
AG
I got an email from Academy yesterday (maybe Sunday), that they had their tents on sale, 30% off.

You might want to check them out.
HTownAg98
Tents are like wine cellars and gun safes; they never hold as much as they say they will, so go bigger than you think you need. I'll see if I can find the brand, but some of my friends have a tent that has the poles already built into the tent. The whole thing just folds up like an origami puzzle. It's done in about 5 minutes.
chaca5151
Budget is max $500.

Up until now all the tents that we've own have been hand me downs, we have the camping part down just never really purchased our own tent.
Not everyone gets the same version of me. One person might tell you I have an amazing beautiful soul. Another might tell you I’m a cold-hearted a$$^ole. Believe them both. I don’t treat people badly. I treat them accordingly - unknown
IamGroot
AG
Get a wall tent. Plenty of room and will last forever. Also good for hunting expeditions.
Deats99
AG
You can get a decent dome tent with firberglass poles that sleeps 6+ for under $200. With family, make sure and get one with a plastic tarp floor, not the light nylon. Have one from Academy in 2003 that has survived scouts, guides, backyard and all types of fun.
A good plan violently executed now is better than a perfect plan executed next week.
-George S Patton
Burdizzo
AG
$500 for a 4-6 person tent should get you a McMansion.

Our family has a Columbia Pinewood (comes in various sizes) series tent that has served us well. Bought at Academy for about $80. The bottom is good, but as a protective measure I also put down a tarp. You can get a suitable tarp for ground cover at Northern Tool pretty cheap. It also serves as a porch for the tent.
Doc Hayworth
Klondike Flex Bow. They have several sizes and will stand up to just about any weather condition. Easy to put up, good canvas shell.
I've had mine up and went through 40-45 mph gusts with constant 25 mph winds and it performed great. With the higher winds, you will see why they call it a flex bow.
Cabela's has many different sizes and a lot of these within your budget.
I bought the 10'x14' for $549 on sale.
AgEng06
AG
You mean Kodiak Canvas Flex Bow, but yes, they are great tents. I have the 10x14 as well and love it.
Post removed:
by user
Burrus86
AG
Not in stock right now, but I own two of these. I've put these up by myself, but may take a little longer doing it that way. Camped in severe thunderstorm warnings, and these tents held up well and stay dry....if you seal the seams. May be bigger than you want, but comfortably sleeps eight on cots.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B00I8R9UDU/ref=cm_cr_arp_mb_bdcrb_top?ie=UTF8
Tamuag04
AG
For 3 people you can do the REI Kingdom 4 or 6 on your budget. You can also buy the "garage" attachment separately if necessary for cooking, gear storage, etc. Kingdom 4 is 1 room, 6 is a 2 room floorplan.

Amazing tents and a reasonable cost.
"No Fi, Chuck Finley is forever..."
AggieChemist
AG
I have this one

https://www.amazon.com/Browning-Camping-Horn-Family-Hunting/dp/B00BPZCIL8/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1524665713&sr=8-1&keywords=browning+tent&dpID=41SfXI-EXSL&preST=_SX300_QL70_&dpSrc=srch

It's branded Browning but made by Alps mountaineering. Great for my family of three. We have spent many nights in it. Plenty of room for three cots, gear, and room to move/change. Very easy on the budget, and very sturdy. Have had zero problems with it.
Doc Hayworth
Don't know why I said Klondike, you are correct. IMO, they are the simplest to set up and quick.
arrow
AG
I wanted a heavy duty "next-to-truck" camping tent for my family with great ventilation. Cabela's branded products are supposed to have a lifetime warranty, so after destroying our last family tent trying to unzip the door to pee in the middle of the night, I went with this one:

Cabela's Getaway Cabin 6-Person

My family of 4 spent two nights in it at Beaver's Bend about a month ago and we all really liked the tent.
agmitch011
AG
Where abouts are you located? I have a 6 person tent that has seen very little use that I would be glad to give you. Easy pop-up with a divider in the middle.

Feel free to text me @ 832-233-25O3
-Mitch
chaca5151
Text sent!
chaca5151
I really liked those tents! Reminds me of a good carhart jacket.
FCBlitz
8x10 Sheet of plastic. You will thank me later
45-70Ag
AG
Get a shelter half
Just don't touch it when it rains.

Told my wife two years ago i wanted a tent for my son and i to camp in. She bought a Coleman pop up tent that sleeps eight. It's massive.
C4D
AG
Tentco out of south africa.
Best made
TThom
Alps mountaineering is what you seek
Herne the Hunter
This is another site someone posted on here a time back. Steep and Cheap
NColoradoAG
GWGuerrilla said:

This is another site someone posted on here a time back. Steep and Cheap
Steep and Cheap is like an addiction for me. Beware.
chaca5151
I'm really wanting a canvas tent but they are a little out of my price range.
HTownAg98
This is the one we have for the two of us (I like all the room inside).
Coleman WeatherMaster 10-Person Tent https://www.amazon.com/dp/B001TS8Q94/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_api_i_E594AbD9PQKHZ

It has a washtub bottom, and stayed completely dry during a 6" downpour (Full disclosure: we also tarp our tent for more water resistance and heat retention). With a heater running while it was 12 degrees outside, it was 55 in the tent. The hinged door is a godsend when you get up in the middle of the night needing to go to the bathroom and you don't have to fumble with a zipper in the dark. There may be better tents, but this one serves all my needs and them some.
Ark03
AG
jayelbee said:

Unless you know you'll be using it 6+ times a year or over a week at a time, I'd try to keep it under $100 and definitely under $200. I bought a cheap one from Academy on Sunday with the coupon codes. Very similar to what I grew up camping in only a lot bigger.
https://www.academy.com/shop/pdp/coleman-rolling-meadows-6-person-dome-tent

I had an older version of this tent we bought about 14 years ago. I've had it in massive winds, rainstorms, and light hail and it never let me down ... until last weekend. I was on a Cub Scout campout with a little rain, and my son said there was a bit of water coming in. Apparently the rain fly is no longer rain proof. We had a couple of drips, but beds and stuff stayed dry.

I'm trying to decide if I want to get a can of campdry or a new tent myself.
The Fife
Eureka 2 man, Philmont style or GTFO!
chaca5151
So the wife and I went to our local Cabelas to take a look at the tents, we were disappointed in the amount of tents they didn't have put up. I remember in past trips that several tents were up for you to look in.

We walked down to the clearance section and they have a Cabelas getaway 8 person tent available. With all the discounts puts the price from 340 down to $200, what do y'all think?
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.