Outdoors
Sponsored by

Primo Grill Question

2,862 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Tailgate88
AggieChemist
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have and cook on a BGE. I am cooking in an open house this Saturday at my egg store, and she just called me and said that they are going to carry Primo now, and would I be willing to showcase and cook on the Primo. I said sure, because I can cook on anything, but I understand you can divide this thing somehow and do both direct and indirect at the same time?

This would be perfect for the Peruvian spatchcock chickens I'm doing, as I can have one rendering indirect while I crisp the second direct.

How exactly does this work? Just looking for some a priori knowledge before I cook on this thing the first time for a crowd.

Thanks
BrazosDog02
AG
I have a Primo.

When you say divide, you can divide the firebox and only burn half the coals.

But, what I think they are talking about is use of the "D" plates. This is what you put above the coals, and under your cooking area for smoking. The plates have a special rack that situates them several inches below the cooking grate. It is indirect heat as the ceramic plates block the direct heat. Smoke and heat goes to the edges and up.

So...you could..technically....use ONE D plate. On the D plate side you could smoke your chicken, and on the NON D plate side you would have food directly over hot coals.

I love my Primo. Aside from that, it should cook about like your BGE.

Also, the grates on the Primo XL Oval are each one half of the grill and you can take one of them and turn it upside down and basically lower the food closer to the coals. This might work better for crisping quickly....but you better pay attention to it or crispy will be an understatement.

I always cover my D plates with heavy foil to keep them sort of clean. If I am using both D plates, I'll put a pan of water in there on top of them as well....mostly habit...not necessary in my opinion.
AggieChemist
AG
BrazosDog02 said:

I have a Primo.

When you say divide, you can divide the firebox and only burn half the coals.

But, what I think they are talking about, at least is use of the "D" plates. This is what you put above the coals, and under your cooking area for smoking....it is indirect heat as the ceramic plates block the direct heat. Smoke and heat goes to the edges and up.

So...you could..technically....use ONE D plate. On the D plate side you could smoke your chicken, and on the NON D plate side you would have food directly over hot coals.

I love my Primo. Aside from that, it should cook about like your BGE.

Also, the grates on the Primo XL Oval are each one half of the grill and you can take one of them and turn it upside down and basically lower the food closer to the coals. This might work better for crisping quickly....but you better pay attention to it or crispy will be an understatement.
That's what I envision... two spatchcocks, one direct and one indirect at the same time. Is there any reason to divide the firebox, or should I just use one plate?
AggieChemist
AG
Second question, will two spatchcocks fit side by side?
MEENag
AG
Edit: I'm a slow typist.
I have the Primo Oval XL and the divider but have yet to use that capability. The two zones is achieved via an iron divider for the firebox that allows you to put the coals on only one side of the firebox. Food above that side is cooking direct, food above the other side is indirect. The oval shape lends itself to this more than the round shape.

Yes to two spatchcocks at once.
BrazosDog02
AG
I guess that depends on a Peruvian chicken size.

I think it would be tight and they would have to touch if it were to work. That's only because of the orientation. If they were side by side from left to right, then Id say it's no problem. But they have to be side by side top to bottom (on the same cooking surface plane) on one half of the grill or the other depending on the D plate and I think that may be iffy at best. I'm specifically talking about the Primo XL Oval.

The cooking grate is 18.5" x 25"....and its an elongated oval, not square...so...measure that out on something and see if that works for your birds.

Here is a decent picture of what I described in my first post:

Not my picture but He did what you are wanting to do. On the right is a D plate under there. He just used the additional racks to get another brisket on there. So...now that I think of it, this may be your ticket and solution to the issue. If you do it like this, then YES...two will fit.
hurricanejake02
AG
They have the firebox divider, like below:

Or, you could use just one of the ceramic head deflectors over a full bed of coals, like the bottom middle or bottom right of the below:
aTm2004
AG
Not a Primo, but same concept:

reddog90
AG
Idk anything about spatchcocks, but when I reverse sear steaks I do not divide my firebox. Steaks come up in temp on the high rack over indirect heat. Pull steak and foil, bring dome temp up, sear steak on low rack over direct heat.
aTm2004
AG
How do you sear on the lower racks without it flaming up? That's an issue I have when I sear steaks, and the only way I've been able to somewhat control it is by restricting airflow and/or moving the steak away from the area flaring up.
big ben
AG
Side note: no bada$$ jerk chicken wings?
AggieChemist
AG
big ben said:

Side note: no bada$$ jerk chicken wings?

I did those for the wing cook off two years ago.
Streetfighter 02
AG
I've cooked 6 spatchcocked chickens on a primo XL before with the upper racks installed.
reddog90
AG
I embrace the flare. But I sear a little over a minute per side. YMMV.
AggieChemist
AG
I did ten spatchcock chickens and 58 armadillo eggs in 5 hours. Not bad.
DeWrecking Crew
Nice...whose spatchcock recipe do you base yours off of?
AggieChemist
AG
Serious eats Peruvian chicken
John1248
AG
Love my primo. Ordered some peach chunks to add to my oak lump charcoal from fruitawood.com. Stuff is legit.
Tailgate88
AG
I want a Primo or BGE so bad!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.