Outdoors
Sponsored by

Big green egg XL or L?

7,939 Views | 49 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by TX AG 88
Aggie Rick
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The only complaint i have ever heard from someone who bought a Joe/Egg/Primo was that they got the L and not the XL.

Get the big joe at the costco roadshow.
@Aggie_Rick
AnScAggie
AG
XL is the way to go, I have one at home and one at the ranch. I cook on them a lot and I cannot say I've thought the charcoal use was excessive. I've never had a L so I cannot comment on the amount of charcoal they use, but I do know everyone with a L encouraged me to get an XL.
cevans_40
AG
Am I the only one who builds a small fire on one side of my xl to save charcoal?
JT88
AG
+ 1 for the weed burner.
I can: clean ash from last burn, put fresh charcoal in, light and have it at 500 degrees in the same time it takes the stove in my kitchen to reach the same temp,
Used to use MAPp torch but weed burner puts u further from the sparks. It's like being a dragon <drakaris>
normaleagle05
AG
I lovingly refer to my MAP-Pro torch as Drogon. He gets the job done!
AnScAggie
AG
cevans_40 said:

Am I the only one who builds a small fire on one side of my xl to save charcoal?

No.
WestTexAG
AG
Me too
jt2hunt
AG
They have an xxl now
BlueSmoke
dr_boogs
AG
Love these threads, somebody give me a link on the weed burner. My searches are giving amazon links to propane torches. Thanks for the heads up, looking for a better method to light my charcoal.
FancyKetchup14
AG
dr_boogs said:

Love these threads, somebody give me a link on the weed burner. My searches are giving amazon links to propane torches. Thanks for the heads up, looking for a better method to light my charcoal.
My pops has a pri_ckly pear/weed burner and it's hooked up to his propane tank. I think that's how most of them are. Sucks having to lug it around to clear up the yard.
AggieT
AG
https://www.amazon.com/Red-Dragon-VT-2-23-000-BTU/dp/B00004Z2FP/ref=pd_sim_86_6?_encoding=UTF8&pd_rd_i=B00004Z2FP&pd_rd_r=0VBGTHWAJK8FX7KAV41X&pd_rd_w=IHEtG&pd_rd_wg=OTisn&psc=1&refRID=0VBGTHWAJK8FX7KAV41X

Something like this. I've had mine hooked up to the same propane tank for years (left over from my old POS gas grill that the Egg replaced).
NColoradoAG
I have a L and very rarely wish I had an XL like my dad's. I bought an adjustable rig from CGS and it really takes the versatility to another level. I can cook 4 racks of ribs, 4 pork shoulders (if I ever needed that much) or two 15lb (pre trim) briskets.

I cook for a family of three though. I just keep the oval shaped grids on my rig all the time so cooking more than six steaks or burgers gets a little dicey. Obviously you could easily cook 8-10 steaks by taking out the rig and using a standard grate.

Joe Exotic
AG
Wound up going with a Kamado Joe Classic II. Got it from AAFES for $1,089 out the door with no sales tax and free shipping.
aTm2004
AG
Nice. You will not be disappointed. The hardest part, especially if you're used to cooking on an offset, is not checking the temp and playing with it every half hour or so.
TX AG 88
AG
the weed burners look cool and all (who doesn't love weilding fire?!) but I start my fires using one of these

https://www.amazon.com/Char-Broil-1258466R06-Electric-Charcoal-Starter/dp/B06W5VR3ZF/ref=sr_1_5?s=lawn-garden&ie=UTF8&qid=1525875221&sr=1-5&keywords=electric+charcoal+starter

set it in the coals, push a few of them up against the coil, and walk away for 8-10 minutes. Come back, pull it out, open upper and lower vents all the way and close the lid. It'll be up to temp in 5-10 more minutes. There's always some final prep stuff to do inside or at the beer cooler during that time.
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.