Outdoors
Sponsored by

First Time Garden Problems

2,420 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Stormchaser
dsvogel05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
This is my first time planting a garden and I'm having a few problems with some plants. I built planter boxes made of cedar and measure 2'x4'x10". I used 100lbs of composted manure and 3 cubic feet of potting soil, and after settling, the soil depth is about 8". I bought all my plants from Home Depot about a month ago, so everything is rooted well and the soil drains good. I fertilized once with a 14-14-14 fertilizer and use a 3 in 1 organic fungicide, insecticide, miticide once a week. I don't care if I use organic or not, its just what I saw at Target one day.

First problem is my cilantro. I'm not sure what's causing the reddish brown leaves and stems. I can prune back the stems, and they keep coming back the same red/brown color.

Second problem are my green bell peppers. Is it typical to only have on pepper per plant? I'm getting flowers, but they just die and fall off.

Third problem is my sweet basil. I think part of my problem was overhead watering, so i try not to get water on my leaves, but I'm still getting some discolored leaves that turn brown/black. I pinch those leaves off, and get good new growth, but still end up with some of the discolored leaves.

My last problem is with my zucchini and yellow squash. I get a lot of blooms, but nothing comes of them. I read I could have a problem with pollination because of the lack and male and female flowers, or just the lack of cross-pollination. But the other concern is the burnt edges and yellow leaves.

Cliff notes, having problems with my first garden and not sure what to and fix it. TIA
zooguy96
Too many nutrients?
dsvogel05
AG
I thought it could be that, but I'm not sure because my pepper plants, jalapeno, serrano, and bells all look great as does my parsley and thyme.
zooguy96
Different plants need different nutrients? I dunno. I'd lean towards too many nutrients. Most potting soil already has fertilizer added in, plus, the fertilizer you added as well as the manure.

When I actually have a garden (waiting to buy a house), I usually amend the soil a bit, according to what each type of plant needs. I.e. okra likes a lot of clay, different ph tolerances, while also complementary planting (I.e. borage with tomatoes).
K_P
AG
in

i've had the same problem with squash. same problem with basil too, i think it's just what basil does, not sure. i try to pick it before it turns brown. never had that problem with peppers and wife doesn't like cilantro.

i will say i used random topsoil i got for free and never use fertilizer but i'm cheap. your plants generally look better than mine.
BrazosDog02
AG
See the brown margin on your squash? That's over fertilization.

I've had a garden every year, twice a year, for the last 25 years and I STILL do this **** occasionally.

Not only do all plants need different amounts of fertilizer, different plants USE different amounts as well. This year, I got sloppy and went phosphate free (as per my soil tests) and just ran down the rows with fertilizer, turning it under afterward. The problem is my tomatoes are happier than a pig in **** and peppers are not liking the heavy nutrient levels. Some stunt, some die, and some just hang on. If you can nurse them along, then they will eventually balance and it'll be OK.

If I were me, I would water the PISS out of the garden every other day for a while. Try to leech that fertilizer out.

Once I realize my mistake, I'll leave my drippers on for half a day every 3 days and try to purge it. Your soil should easily handle that and drain well.
dsvogel05
AG
I'll keep watering. What about the deal with bell peppers only having one pepper per plant? I'm not sure what's wrong with the cilantro because not much bothers it. We grew it on the farm in Valley and I don't recall doing anything to it other than wandering it.
SunrayAg
AG
100 pounds of manure in that small of an area is going to cause a problem. That is going to be very hot, and too much can do more harm than good. Sometimes excessive nutrients can also tie up other nutrients. Also many plants have a deep tap root, and if the box is only 8" deep, they will not be able to root properly.
Max06
AG
Blossom set spray will help set blossoms on your plants that aren't getting pollinated. It's worked very well for me as I have a small garden and not many pollinators.
toolshed
AG
Are you watering with city/ municipal water? I'd check the chlorine content of the water. High chlorine will burn the leaves as well. They make declorinators that are point of use and will fit between a hose bib and hose, if I recall correctly.
JRizzle
AG
It's probably the cilantro that is poisoning the entire garden
BrazosDog02
AG
dsvogel05 said:

I'll keep watering. What about the deal with bell peppers only having one pepper per plant? I'm not sure what's wrong with the cilantro because not much bothers it. We grew it on the farm in Valley and I don't recall doing anything to it other than wandering it.

As noted, too many nutrients can ****** uptake. Phosphorous does exactly that for iron, zinc and othes I can't think of right this second. It's also not mobile so it can stick around for a few years. It's also found in high numbers in manure. You added manure and fertilizer. Not a huge deal, but I'd probably keep an eye on it and when the season is over, ammendment your soil with some new stuff...maybe even remove a portion. The thing is, no one knows what is what. If you want to know for sure, take a soil sample and send it to tamu. They will tell you exactly what is what and what to do.

I'm using phosphorous free fertilizer for a long time.

Don't sweat it, the fun of gardening is learning, at least to me.

As for cilantro it's a leafy plant so it's probably pretty happy right now.

Get seeds and plant a lot more!

You have one pepper because the plants are young and it's using all its energy trying to grow a root system and now it has a damn pepper to support as well. It can only do so much. Sometimes I pull early fruit like that off...but not always. I'd let her go.

Eta: the censored word is re tard. Geez.
Build It
AG
That pesticide is killing your pollinators. Don't use the triple threat when blooming.
B-1 83
AG
Ask the Agronomist (TM) says.....
You created a hot mess. All that composted manure and fertilizer is too much for your plants to handle. All composting does to manure is breakdown morenof the organic content - the nutrients (including various salts) are still there. Water frequently to see what you can flush out and hope for the best.

Your pepper problem is likely from the wildly swinging temps. They like warm nights. Try "thumping" the blooms lightly.
Allen76
AG
dsvogel05 said:

It is really early to already have peppers. They like hot weather. Maybe you bought those plants from the store already with a couple of fruit set.

Keep them going and you will see the peppers flourish soon in warmer weather.

Nurseries typically sell the pepper and tomato plants all at the same time but you should be planting tomatoes as soon as you know you can escape the last freeze, but peppers, although they may survive, will not thrive in a cold spring.
K_P
AG
Something weird is happening to my squash --

Its like something is eating the stalks but not the leaves? The big leaves look okay. I've never had this happen before and this is the second squash plant I've planted and its happened to both. (First one was started from seed, second bought at houston garden center).

HTownAg98
Squash vine borer, maybe? If it is, there's nothing you can do about it.
Max06
AG
Thrips & vine borers. Pull them and start over. Either cover and manually pollinate or use insecticide when the blooms are closed.
B-1 83
AG
I hate to use chemicals prophylactically, but Sevin dust on the stems will help early on. Use late in the evening when pollinators are not present.
Stormchaser
AG
You'll want to rotate that squash next year, and most all crops that are annuals.

We are not totally "organic", but try to be when it works. We started raising worms and have had good luck with making tea as an insecticide and fertilizer.

The comment above about the compost being too hot is spot on. Next time compost it in a seperate pile until it is done cooking. Add leaves, if you have them, to the manure.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.