Outdoors
Sponsored by

How to properly enjoy wild turkey

3,544 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by DayAg!
AggieChemist
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
First, climb a couple of mountain ridges at dawn and work a few birds. You may have to contend with real hens (which are a pain in the ass and tend to draw gobblers the opposite direction from your calling). While sneaking along the ridge, you may sneak to within 40 yards of bedded deer. As they bound away blowing and crashing through the understory, smile to yourself and swear bitterly under your breath because they probably scared the gobbler that was hammering 100 yards away at your every yelp. Continue down the ridge, and on a complete whim/gut feeling, take the last tram road that cuts off the ridge toward the powerline. 100 yards later, strike up a nice bird and shoot his ass.

Second, after preserving fan, spurs and beard, bone out all the meat, making sure to eliminate tendons, weigh it, and mix 3:1 with chopped bacon. I prefer Smithfield traditional salt cured. Grind this twice.

Third, I assume you were not so stupid as to leave the woods without digging some fresh ramps. Take a generous handful and chop them very fine, greens and all.

Fourth, add a generous dose of chopped ramps to ~ 6 oz of the turkey/bacon grind and form into patties. Season well according to your taste. My wife is a big fan of Weber "gourmet burger" seasoning, so that's what I used here.

Fifth, grill on the BGE at relatively low temperature (I started at 300 and slowly ramped to 450 by the time I finished). The burgers tend to be loose as they warm a bit and the bacon will flame and scorch if you have too much airflow to the fire. Since we are dealing with wild poultry and bacon I went ahead and took these all the way to 165 internal.

I topped these with aged muenster cheese and a good glop of Woeber's horseradish sauce and they were divine. It's hard to beat gobbling down a bird at dusk that was gobblin' at dawn. For bonus points, top with a nice slice of tomato and/or sauted morels. Unfortunately, winter is hanging on here and the morels have not popped yet, so I had to make do with a clausen pickle spear on the side.

Finally, celebrate with a Tatuaje Miami and some Islay on the back deck as the sun sets and celebrate a day well lived.

TwoMarksHand
AG
Hell yeah
dr_boogs
AG
POTD by 8:30.
AggiePetro07
AG
I would gobble those up so fast...
Thisguy1
Excuse my ignorance, but is that contraption that looks like a bell at a front desk a lighter?
CactusThomas
AG
Lack of whata causes people to go to desperate measures. Pass.
Caveman Ag
AG
Sighhh...take my blue star. Well done AC.
BlueSmoke
CHECK!
Nobody cares. Work Harder
AggieChemist
AG
Thisguy1 said:

Excuse my ignorance, but is that contraption that looks like a bell at a front desk a lighter?
https://www.amazon.com/Alec-Bradley-Burner-Table-Lighter/dp/B005EQR3LO
Snow Monkey Ambassador
AG
In a rocks glass, 3-4 cubes of ice, two drops of water, around a campfire (guitar optional).
AgEng06
AG
Ah, AC... an intriguing mix of outdoor elitist and hipster rolled into one neat post.
AgEng06
AG
Just kidding, that all looks awesome.
AggieChemist
AG
dr_boogs said:

POTD by 8:30.
It's pretty simple.

1) Go OUTDOORS
2) Take photos
3) ?
4) PROFIT
AggieChemist
AG
AgEng06 said:

Ah, AC... an intriguing mix of outdoor elitist and hipster rolled into one neat post.
I suppose I'll own that, provided you explain exactly which parts are elitist and which parts are hipster.
cupofjoe04
AG
Way to go AC!

Can you edjucate me on ramps? Never seen or tried them... don't want to be stepping over gold next time I'm out
ToddyHill
AG
Simply put, ramps are the most amazing spring green found in Appalachia. Ironically, I just got another sack of ramps today from a co-worker (I live just outside of Knoxville).

This is the second time I've seen a post from Aggie Chemist where he puts chopped ramps in a turkey burger...and that's something I need to try. Since I'm new to Ramps, I prefer to saute them in butter, then fold them into scrambled eggs, or as a component of a twice baked potato.

By the way AC, great post!

Ramps

Brush Country
Fresh ramps?

Uhhhhh, the closest thing we have to that here is nutgrass and *****ly pear.
AggieChemist
AG
Brush Country said:

Fresh ramps?

Uhhhhh, the closest thing we have to that here is nutgrass and *****ly pear.

Your turkey feathers are the wrong color, too.
WildcatAg
AG
You and your foreign products.

#MKGA
ursusguy
raidernarizona
Great post! However, while we're piling on, I'd like to see a few more bird pics and less ground meat next time.
AggieChemist
AG
raidernarizona said:

Great post! However, while we're piling on, I'd like to see a few more bird pics and less ground meat next time.
How many pictures of a dead turkey do you want? I thought that was a great picture.

There aren't many recipes on this board.

#makeeatinggamegreatagain
AggieChemist
AG
You've confused me. What's the K? Kentucky?
raidernarizona
You're right, it's a great pic! But, I'd suggest a few more scenery pics at the very least. Recipe sounds great!

AggieChemist
AG
Ok, dawn over my dekes

AggieChemist
AG
And here's some audio I recorded of a bird hammering. I apologize for the off tone in my pot... it was 24 degrees and I was getting frost on the glass that was messing me up.

DayAg!
S
I thought this thread was gonna be about this.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.