Outdoors
Sponsored by

Favorite fluorocarbon line

2,490 Views | 29 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by gillom
mneisch
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I need to bite the bullet and spool up my reels with some good fluorocarbon. What is everyone's favorite line and weight? Was leaning towards Seaguar Invizx in either 12 or 15lb test. This will be used for jigs and worms.
Thisguy1
Invizx is what I use on mine. I want to say I have had one break on the hook set and it was with the 12. I believe I have 12 on my worm pole and 15 on my everything else pole.
ought1ag
AG
Berkley Big Game 12# for bass
Spider wire mono 6# for crappie
Anything 17# for catfish
Salt of the water
AG
Spooling up your entire reel with flouro is a little excessive for most (all?) fish. What's the intended use?
AggieChemist
AG
Whatever I can find on sale.
gillom
AG
Texas Rig: Invisx 15
Flipping (Jigs or Plastics) : 20lb Invisx

Never had one snap on the hook set and I don't hold back.
4stringAg
AG
I'll echo the Invisx recommendation.

Do not recommend Berkley Vanish. It is expensive junk. I tried it in both 8# and 12# and had a lot of breakoffs, It gets abrased really easily and I've had it break off many times at the knot when using it as a leader where other lines like Invisx have held up fine using the same knot and backing line when tied on as a leader.
mneisch
AG
I have two worm rods and a jig rod I need to spool with new line. I planned to use some mono backer to get a couple reels out of a single 200 yard spool of line.
Dale Earnhardts Stache
AG
Sunline Assassin FC in 15lb test
docb
AG
I would just use a fluorocarbon leader on braid. I think it would cast better and you would not lose the sensitivity. I personally am not a fan of fluorocarbon except maybe if the water is extremely clear. I don't like the way the stuff handles and I just don't feel like I get more bites on it anyways.
rather be fishing
AG
I always used P-line
mneisch
AG
Don't like it comparison to what? All braid? I typically fish muddy water.
docb
AG
I use mostly braid these days for my worm and jig fishing. I still use a lot of mono for rattletraps, crankbatits, spinnerbaits. If the water is muddy just use braided line for your worm/jig fishing. I would spool up minimum 30 pound test so it doesn't dig in to itself too much. Saltwater fishing for trout and reds is all braid.
Salt of the water
AG
bookmyer said:

I use mostly braid these days for my worm and jig fishing. I still use a lot of mono for rattletraps, crankbatits, spinnerbaits. If the water is muddy just use braided line for your worm/jig fishing. I would spool up minimum 30 pound test so it doesn't dig in to itself too much. Saltwater fishing for trout and reds is all braid.

This. Spool with braid and keep a spool of flouro to make leaders on the rare occasions you're in clear water.
Reel Aggies
AG
Flouro develops too much of a memory for me on the reels I've spooled. 10yds leader on top of braid for me.
mneisch
AG
In that case, favorite braid?
Thisguy1
What's the best way to attach a flouro leader to braid? Swivel? Knot? I can't ever figure out a way to attach it to where I don't notice the connection.
Burdizzo
AG
My favorite fluorocarbon is R-12
Salt of the water
AG
Power pro slick 8 is decent stuff. Fins windtamer is also nice but a little harder to find.

Suffix 832 is well regarded by lots of people but I think it's just meh for casting with spinning gear if that's what you use.

I like the smallest spro swivels for my leader connections, but I only use 2ft or less leaders. If you want to use a long leader because the fish are really line shy then you need to learn a line to line knot.
HockeyAg07
AG
YouTube is your friend to learn fishing knots. I use 20lb power pro braid down to a 5-6 foot 12lb mono leader for most of my soft-plastics fishing. I connect them with a double uni knot. I've never had that knot break on me. It goes through the guides on the pole easily too.
mneisch
AG
Why are you using mono as a leader for plastics?
Goose
AG
Swear to God this is the first thing that popped into my mind:

"Of course you've got some good grillwork there to keep out the ozone. I gotta get this thing up to 95, uh, check out the fluorocarbon output."
Sgt. Hartman
AG
All braid for punching grass or fishing toads. Three to four foot fluoro leader for everything else with a double uni knot.
docb
AG
I use Fins. Just order it online. Double uni knot You can catch a lot of fish on straight braid.
Sublette County
AG
I've used the improved Albright knot in the past with success when tying braid to 15 lb invizx. Lately I've had some failures using the same knot and some stiffer fluorocarbon leader material. Just started tying the FG knot instead and have really liked it so far. Runs through the guides incredibly well.
Funky Winkerbean
AG
mneisch said:

Why are you using mono as a leader for plastics?

Because it works and is much cheaper.
It is so easy to be wrong—and to persist in being wrong—when the costs of being wrong are paid by others.
Thomas Sowell
sunchaser
AG
Crazy Alberto is a lot better to me than Albright. Always wrap the braid over the mono of course. I spiral up spread out a bit and on the way back lay the line in the gaps.....thru the loop in the same direction. It is slick going thru a tip. I only use it for a leader and prefer Seaguar.

Strongest in Knot Wars
Oruc Reis
AG
Alberto knot
4stringAg
AG
sunchaser said:

Crazy Alberto is a lot better to me than Albright. Always wrap the braid over the mono of course. I spiral up spread out a bit and on the way back lay the line in the gaps.....thru the loop in the same direction. It is slick going thru a tip. I only use it for a leader and prefer Seaguar.

Strongest in Knot Wars
Thanks for the tip on the Alberto knot, I'll give it a try. I've been using double uni which works pretty well but will try this one as well.
HockeyAg07
AG
A. It's cheaper.
B. It handles better, imo.
C. I only use about 6 feet of mono so I don't feel any of the stretch.
gillom
AG
I use all 3 types: braid, mono and flouro. The sensitivity and abrasion resistance of flouro makes it far superior to mono. Each has its own place but after flipping a jig all day on flouro, switch to the same setup with mono. You will be able to tell the difference and appreciate the extra cost.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.