Outdoors
Sponsored by

Looking to breed golden doodle

1,923 Views | 12 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by reddog90
Jones12
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We have a stud who we are eventually going to neuter, but wanted to see if anyone had a female they were thinking about breeding? Not positive we are going to do anything, but he's the smartest dog I've ever seen, so don't want the good genes to go to waste.

He's a golden coat F1, both parents were akc. Excellent looking dog
AggieFabricator
I once bred a Bulldog and a ****zu. We called it a bull*****
reddog90
AG
https://texags.com/forums/34/topics/2942233
agsalaska
AG
We were just discussing that last night.

Kpg4923@gmail.com
EskimoJoe
AggieFabricator said:

I once bred a great dane and a weiner dog. When asked about my dog, I told the ladies i have a great weiner.
AggiePetro07
AG
Growing up, my dad and his siblings had a miniature Schnauzer. The next door neighbors had a giant Schnauzer. Their miniature was named "Smokey" and that dog would stay up all night barking and howling at the giant ***** next door when she was in heat. One night, my dad and uncle went out back about 2 a.m. to see what the heck was going on and noticed Smokey going up and down the fence. Being 2 a.m. they wanted to go back to bed in peace so my dad walks over to the fence and reaches down to grab Smokey. He said he literally heaved Smokey over the fence and as he turned to walk back to the house he sees my uncle chunk a side table from their pool furniture set over the fence.

My dad goes, "Why in the hell did you do that?" My uncle said, "That horny son-of-a-***** is gonna need something to stand on."

They claim to have invented the Standard Schnauzer.
The Pilot
AG
Does he have OFA clearances for hip/elbow dysplasia, eye disease, heart disease? Otherwise, how do you know it has good genes?

OleRock02
AG
AggieFabricator said:

Username checks out.
k2kelly
AG
I have a F-1 female that I'm interested in breeding.

kellkat75atgmail
dr_boogs
AG
Lol I'll muddy the water and tell you OFA certification does not guarantee a genetic background free of hip or elbow dysplasia. Does it decrease the chance? Yes. But does it eliminate the chances of litters developing the diseases? No way.
Jones12
AG
The Pilot said:

Does he have OFA clearances for hip/elbow dysplasia, eye disease, heart disease? Otherwise, how do you know it has good genes?

The fact that he was potty trained in about 48 hours at 8 weeks old sure seems to be a strong factor in my mind. He can learn virtually any trick in under 15 minutes. He started putting his nose against the blinds at 10 weeks old to let us know when he wants to go out. He's just a smart dog. Loves water, kids, and other animals. Both parents were registered with zero health concerns. The only health issue we've ever had is when he swallowed a pair of my wife's underwear lol. Luckily he threw them up.

Also emails sent to both.
The Pilot
AG
Of course having the certs doesn't guarantee problems won't pop up, but if I'm spending $$$$ for a pup, I want to increase my chances of getting a healthy pup.
dr_boogs
AG
Exactly right, it decreases the chances somewhat but bad hips and elbows are what Ideal with daily, and many of those pet owners come in with "I don't understand, his/her parents were certified and can't have bad hips/elbows, etc...."
reddog90
AG
I think pilot is referencing that there are breeders that get full health clearances on their breeding stock and put a lot of effort into selectively breeding out bad traits for the betterment of the breed as a whole. Then there are breeders that don't. AKC registration doesn't mean anything for the health of the dog. OFA certs are definitely not guarantees but it betters your chances when you start with good x good or normal x normal etc. versus not having a clue and breeding to a rando that is a good family pet and charging $3k for puppies.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.