Outdoors
Sponsored by

New Turkey Tail Mount

2,068 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by FJB
cupofjoe04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Working on a tail mount for this year's bird. Last year, I did solid Walnut with a turquoise "turkey track" inlay. Was pretty happy with it.

This year, I'm going to try something a little different. Walnut on top of maple- with mountains cut into the top. Since I killed this bird in the mountains, seems fitting. Probably going to round off the shoulder a touch more, then finish with some kind of small nameplate that reads "Merriam's 2017".

I need some opinions here: I'm considering doing a touch of white inlay on the mountains, to make it look like snow covered peaks. But then when I got it cut, I sort of like it as is. Don't want it to be too busy- but want it to really be unique. What do y'all think? Add a touch of snow, or leave it bare?

Figure this will be a good theme for mounts as I work on my Slam. Do a different profile with the same nameplate for each bird.

Starting on this year's mount-

Last year's, for comparison-

ought1ag
AG
Nice Work
BradMtn346
Beautiful work. Definitely round the corners off. I can't decide about the snow. Set it on top of the fan and take a look.

How many hours do you have into these? Ever consider selling them? If so, could you do a custom mountain scene?
cupofjoe04
AG
BradMtn346 said:

Beautiful work. Definitely round the corners off. I can't decide about the snow. Set it on top of the fan and take a look.

How many hours do you have into these? Ever consider selling them? If so, could you do a custom mountain scene?

Thanks. It does look good on the fan (still drying). Next time would make it slightly larger though. This particular bird doesn't have a ton of white on his tail- so I can't decide if a little accent would highlight or distract. I guess I could always try a very shallow inlay, and if I hate it, just sand it off and redo the profile.

I do make custom wood stuff as a side hobby/business when I have time. I ended up making a couple of these tail mounts for a taxidermist friend last year. Would definitely make something for an OB'er if they wanted. Within reason- I could probably do whatever kind of scene someone wanted. Keep in mind- Agrams I am not... ha ha!
BradMtn346
Shoot me an email.

I'd like something for my family's fans.
cupofjoe04
AG
You got it!

Got a group of 14 guys coming in from AZ on Thursday for 4 days of turkey hunting and discipleship. I'll get back in the wood shop after I'm done with all that. Hopefully we can put some more birds on the ground! Was able to call in a nice one this morning for a buddy and his father from Mississippi.
BradMtn346
I got your email. I'll send a reply in the morning when I get to my office. My phone and sending email server are not on speaking terms at the moment.
mtngoat3006
Hey cupofjoe04,

Your turquoise turkey track fan tail mount is the finest wood tail mount I've ever seen! Is it possible to purchase one of these from you as I've got a couple of turkey tails curing in my garage and need a mount. The turquoise turkey track inlay is fantastic!

How does one contact you via phone or email to discuss in more detail? Many thanks in advance and hope y'all have a very successful turkey season this year!!!
cupofjoe04
AG
Thank you for your kind words. I would love to make some for you.

Hit me up on my email and we can talk. My username @gmail
CactusThomas
AG
mtngoat3006 said:

Hey cupofjoe04,

Your turquoise turkey track fan tail mount is the finest wood tail mount I've ever seen!.... The turquoise turkey track inlay is fantastic!

Yeah, that's awesome.
FJB
AG
Very nice!!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.