Outdoors
Sponsored by

Dad Gun Collection - Passed Away - Need Help Pricing

3,997 Views | 24 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by AgEng06
Tmoneyag99
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Howdy,
My dad was a registered firearms salesman for about 30 years and just passed away 2 weeks ago. His widow is trying to sell what remains of his collection/inventory in order to pay off his remaining medical expenses and a few other bills. I personally don't know much about guns and their value, so I was hoping some fellow Ags could help me out. I'll post some pictures below along with serial numbers for those of you that may be able to help determine a value so I can ensure my dad's widow does not get taken to the cleaners.

38 S&W Special CTG Serial # 73250 (fully engraved with gold trim)

38 S&W Special CTG Serial # 148302 (fully engraved with gold trim)

L.A.R. Inc Grizzly Big Boar 50 BMG

GSG 5P .22 - Serial # A314139

Any assistance you can provide would be greatly appreciated.

suburban cowboy
AG
Sorry for your loss. Those pistols are beautiful. I have no idea what they're worth.
Rexter
Just some quick looking says the first one may be the last of the run in 1906. Go to www.smithandwessonforums.com and post there. I wouldn't let go of anything til you are positive on what the value is. I'm sure your dad picked up some special stuff.
Tmoneyag99
AG
Thanks! I started a new thread there at the following link:

http://www.smithandwessonforums.com/forum/s-w-revolvers-1857-1945/165785-dad-estate-fully-engraved-gold-38-specials-ctg-need-pricing-help.html#post1817929
SteveBott
AG
T get a value and let me know.
Rexter

Email me when you can. Got some ?s for you.

Rexter 1200 at yahoo

No spaces
Tmoneyag99
AG
Gotcha
Rexter
Tmoneyag99
AG
Got an interesting response on the S&W forum folks should check out at the link above. Value is somewhere in the thousands as I would expect from the type of items my dad picked up over the years.
reagan1k
LAR .50 is worth a couple thousand and maybe more depending on the optics.

If you have the means, I'd consider making step-mom an offer to pay off the bills in exchange for the revolvers and keep them.

Those are heirlooms and will also hold their value/appreciate. If necessary, I'd borrow the money and pay it off as I could in order to keep those. Once she sells them there's no getting something like that back.
Tmoneyag99
AG
What optic specs should I be aware of?
reagan1k
Just make sure the market value of the scope is accurately reflected in the sales price. The gun alone would be pushing $2k and the scope would add to that.

Post the make and model of the scope and someone on here can give you a quick budget price.

JSKolache
AG
Gunbroker.com is basically ebay for firearms. Have a look there and see what similar items are going for
TRIPLE 7
AG
When you determine fair value, PM me.

With that said I come down in the corner of finding a way to keep your Dad's firearms!
aad03
AG
Don't sell those revolvers.
Class of '03
Tmoneyag99
AG
JSKolache said:

Gunbroker.com is basically ebay for firearms. Have a look there and see what similar items are going for

Thanks!
Tmoneyag99
AG
aad03 said:

nm
CTGilley
AG
reagan1k said:

Just make sure the market value of the scope is accurately reflected in the sales price. The gun alone would be pushing $2k and the scope would add to that.

Post the make and model of the scope and someone on here can give you a quick budget price.

I have been told, (this could be BS) a sighted in 50 BMG is worth more than one unfired with the same optic.
AgEng06
AG
I could see that, since sighting it in could cost $50-100 or more in ammo.
Big_Time_Timmy_Jim
cannot help with the values, but make sure his widow is 100% sure she is legally responsible for those debts she is trying to pay. Many factors and I know zero facts, and while it would be a very nice thing to do, she may not be legally responsible for paying off his debts. Again, many factors involved, but figured it was worth stating.

EDIT: Very sorry about your loss.
Tmoneyag99
AG
Here is some additional information on the .50 caliber scope:

Tmoneyag99
AG
Discovered a new toy last night while helping her sort through ammo and cases. I got the impression showing this to a guy at work that this is pretty rare:

reagan1k
Yeah- that's gonna have a comma in the value. Very cool!!!!
aggiepublius
AG
Cool item!!

Sent me to reading:
https://www.gunsamerica.com/blog/closet-classic-review-marbles-game-getter-gun/

Looks like Collectors in Houston has one listed currently for nearly $3K.
http://www.collectorsfirearms.com/marble-arms-mfg-co-game-getter-1921-410-ga-22-lr-r7804/

Make sure you check the length of the barrel as according to wiki, it may be subject to NFA as an "Any Other Weapon"

Quote:

In the United States, models featuring shotgun barrel lengths of less than 18" require a $5 transfer tax stamp and registration as an Any Other Weapon to be in compliance with the National Firearms Act (NFA). Original Model 1908 and Model 1921 models produced before 1943 are Curios & Relics under US law, but are still subject to the provisions of the NFA if their barrels are less than 18" in length; the 18" barrel variation was administratively removed from the NFA in 1939 by the Bureau of Internal Revenue after determining that it was not concealable on the person.[8] In Canada, the Game Getter is classified as "restricted" under current laws.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marble_Game_Getter

(Edits: Stupid wiki code)
Tmoneyag99
AG
Got some pricing info on the engraved revolvers. Apparently they were engraved by Michael W. Dubber and carry a value of $10,000 for the pair. I would love to hold onto these, but that is not up to me to decide.
AgEng06
AG
Daaaang
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.