Outdoors
Sponsored by

"My Side of The Mountain" is Outdoors

7,801 Views | 60 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by trip98
insulator_king
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Also, Keith Roberton's "The Jeep" aka "The Year of the Jeep"

Man I loved Scholastic Book Services. Probably ordered 10 books a month, as much as my allowance could afford.

UnderoosAg
AG
At some point the kid will figure out TP makes a great addition to a bug out bag, and it will be after he comes home sleeveless or without socks.
CrossTimbersW
AG
UnderoosAg said:

At some point the kid will figure out TP makes a great addition to a bug out bag, and it will be after he comes home sleeveless or without socks.

Obligatory "Username checks out"

Growing up we spent a lot of time on the neighboring military installation where me and my cousins would stock up on MRE's and the accessories that included small packs of toilet paper and matches that we found while dumpster diving. Those things along with the old military flashlights we were able to piece together with interchangeable lenses were the staples in our bach packs. With the red lenses in our lights we would set out on rabbit hunts that were going to be our main source of food when we decided to runaway to live off the land. So many fun memories!
fido00
AG
Theres a lot of books on here I've never read, it looks like my kids any I have some work to do this summer.
Humorous Username
AG
Holy cow. I think the Libraries at the elementary and middle schools I went to had every one of the books mentioned in this thread. Really takes me back.
Ferg
insulator_king said:

Also, Keith Roberton's "The Jeep" aka "The Year of the Jeep"

Man I loved Scholastic Book Services. Probably ordered 10 books a month, as much as my allowance could afford.

I read that also. Great book.
unearth222
AG
I loved hatchet, where the red fern grows, my side of the mountain and the other side of the mountain. I also loved white fang, and as I got a bit older (11-13) dug into hemingway (old man and the sea) and Robert Rourke (Horn of the Hunter).

All of them lit the fire for the outdoors that I am now lucky enough to pass on to a young daughter and a soon to be son.
BreNayPop
AG
I bought all these books for my kid to read based on this thread...

So this morning at 6 am, after he has been reading Where the Red Fern Grows all weekend and unable to put it down, he comes into my room holding the end of the book sobbing. Dad of the year award right here...
Beckdiesel03
AG
I loved most of these as well as Island of the Blue dolphin being one of my favorite books. I might read that one to my son now that that i think about it. Ill let their dad handle where the red fern grows bc that was brutal for me growing up and I dont even want to think about it now after losing my two dogs this year.
Tx Ag72
Jack London and Sergeant Preston of the Yukon (tv) were two of my favorites.
DatTallArchitect
AG
BreNayPop said:

I bought all these books for my kid to read based on this thread...

So this morning at 6 am, after he has been reading Where the Red Fern Grows all weekend and unable to put it down, he comes into my room holding the end of the book sobbing. Dad of the year award right here...
Be proud! He just learned a life lesson before the harder version hits him.
AquaCasaAg
AG
I'm going through the process of collecting books for my daughter and stumbled upon this thread. I wanted to add Gentle Ben as a book I loved as a child.
Charismatic Megafauna
AG
The Paulson books definitely shaped my childhood/life. Later I enjoyed reading every Tom Brown book I could get my hands on. Field Guide to Nature and Survival for Children https://www.amazon.com/Browns-Field-Nature-Survival-Children/dp/0425111067 is worth putting in your home library
CWIsom
Little Britches was my go to growing up.
https://www.amazon.com/Little-Britches-Father-Were-Ranchers/dp/0803281781
BurrOak
AG
Just ordered 7 of the books listed on this thread. The daughter that I said I was about to be having on page 1, is now 7 months old. I'll read these to her at some point, but the books are really just as much for me.
Aggieangler93
AG
I recall many of these. I loved anything with dogs and hunting. I read Kjelgaard and London. I need to go back and check out a few y'all have mentioned, as I read them so long ago, I cannot recall the plots.
Class of '93 - proud Dad of a '22 grad and a '26 student!
TxFig
AG
This was EASILY my favorite book growing up (until I got old enough to read the "All Things Great & Small" series). Made me go out into the woods behind my house and light a fire at the base of a tree (to hollow it out). I damn near burned down the whole property.... LOL
--
Chris Barnes
Retired A&M IT geek - now beekeeper
http://www.cornerstonehoneybees.com/
trip98
AG
I'm reviving this thread for a few reasons:
1) it's awesome
2) I admit, after I first saw it when it started I bought a couple books and I put a reminder on my calendar with it so I could reference it in the future. Good source to go back to for more books!!
3) from this thread we started with my then 3rd grader who likes to read every night with My Side of the Mountain. LOVED IT. then Far Side of Mountain, then Frightful's Mountain. He was hooked!! Easily went into Hatchet and then Brians Winter. Have the rest of the Paulsen books ready to go next as well as Tom's Field Guide referenced in the thread....but he took a break from those for.....
4) I can finally add a book to the list....Super Slugger by Cal Ripken. He didn't want to stop reading each night. Some decent vocabulary for a 4th grader too. And a good storyline and lesson

anyways....great thread....hope I contributed and always looking for more ideas from the OB!!
Salt of the water
AG
After reading some of the more serious / heavier books mix in some Patrick McManus to get them giggling.
angryocotillo
AG
My Side of the Mountain was the first real chapter book I read on my own. I still think about scenes from it often.
clinte234
AG
I made a list of books from this thread to start reading to my boys. We've been getting them one at a time from the library.

Finished:
All of the Hatchet books
My Side of the Mountain (don't know how I missed that one as a kid!)
Old Yeller
Shiloh
Summer of the Monkeys
Savage Sam(almost finished)

Another lesser known favorite of mine... Devil's Bridge by Cynthia DeFelice...it is about fishing!
CanyonAg77
AG
Salt of the water said:

After reading some of the more serious / heavier books mix in some Patrick McManus to get them giggling.

For younger readers, maybe "Hank the Cowdog"
Owen Kellogg
AG
My son and I have recently finished Call of the Wild and My Side of the Mountain. Loved both. The rest of the books listed above are on the list. He is loving them at this point so I'm taking advantage.

He is only 6 so I am reading most of it to him, but he will read a page or two each sitting.

Great times!
Post removed:
by user
MAROON
AG
Did ever read any Joseph Lippincott books - Wilderness Champion, The Phantom Deer, etc?

What do you boys want for breakfast BBQ ?.....OK Chili.
trip98
AG
yes this thread is a blast from the past....but several years ago you all helped with great suggestions for books that my son loved

now he's 12 so hitting that middle school attitude.....any suggestions on good outdoor books for kids this age?

TIA
Refresh
Page 2 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.