Outdoors
Sponsored by

"My Side of The Mountain" is Outdoors

7,746 Views | 60 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by trip98
Burdizzo
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I remember seeing this book when I was a kid, but I never read it. My 4th grade daughter brought it home from school and read it this weekend. And then I read it.

I should have my ass kicked for not reading this book when I was a kid.

Great read, especially for kids.
average_joker
AG
Gotta read "Hatchet" too.
ursusguy
AG
Have read both of these to my son, and were favorites of mine as a kid.
BenderRodriguez
AG
Read both, loved both.
Gus Fring
Read it when I was 10, visited the Catskills because of it on Saturday
CrossTimbersW
AG
I think the second one was Far Side of the Mountain and the 3rd was Frightful's Mountain.

I don't remember much about the 3rd but man those first two along with Where the Red Fern Grows and Summer of the Monkeys made up so much of my my childhood. I get chills thinking about the outdoor adventures I tackled as a direct result of those books.

I really need to go read a couple of those again to see if they are as freaking awesome as I remember! (I know Where the Red Fern Grows is because I've read it several times again in my adult life.)

Edit to add: after a quick Google search it appears Frightful's Mountain didn't come out until 1999 so the reason I don't remember much about it is that I'm pretty sure I never actually read it.
mpl35
AG
average_joker said:

Gotta read "Hatchet" too.
there are like 4 sequels now to Hatchet. My son just read the first 3.
Salt of the water
AG
I was a big fan of Julie of the Wolves as well. That book and a bunch of Jack London stories may or may not have had some influence on why I ended up with a husky as my first dog as an adult.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
Read this book in 4th grade. Loved it. Can't wait to read again with my sons.
trouble
AG
One of my absolute favorites!
FIDO 96
AG
Earlier this school year, my 4th grader told me about a survival book he read, The Hatchet. He loved the book so I told him to check out my favorite book when I was his age, My Side of the Mountain. For Christmas, I got him a brass compass, youth hatchet and a carbon steel flint striker, chat cloth and some jute. We've had a great time learning to use all the items. I noticed the other night he has an old school backpack in his closet full of gear, including 550 cord, candles, a honeybun and a steak knife. I guess it's time I got him his first fixed blade knife. Maybe this is a good weekend to build a hobo stove.
DatTallArchitect
AG
That's some solid parenting
PharmD4
AG
Favorite book as a kid
Gigemags05
AG
HammerStump said:

I think the second one was Far Side of the Mountain and the 3rd was Frightful's Mountain.

I don't remember much about the 3rd but man those first two along with Where the Red Fern Grows and Summer of the Monkeys made up so much of my my childhood. I get chills thinking about the outdoor adventures I tackled as a direct result of those books.

I really need to go read a couple of those again to see if they are as freaking awesome as I remember! (I know Where the Red Fern Grows is because I've read it several times again in my adult life.)

Edit to add: after a quick Google search it appears Frightful's Mountain didn't come out until 1999 so the reason I don't remember much about it is that I'm pretty sure I never actually read it.

Where the Red Fern Grows is still one of my favorite books in the world. My Side of the Mountain, Hatchet, and Summer of the Monkeys were all favorites as a kid.
stick93
AG
I'm embarrassed to say that I have neither read nor heard of this one. I wore the cover off of Where The Red Fern Grows, Old Yeller, Savage Sam, and anything that Clair Bee had written. I wanted to be Chip Hilton when I grew up.

Gonna pick up a copy of My Side of the Mountain today.
Oogway
FIDO 96 said:

Earlier this school year, my 4th grader told me about a survival book he read, The Hatchet. He loved the book so I told him to check out my favorite book when I was his age, My Side of the Mountain. For Christmas, I got him a brass compass, youth hatchet and a carbon steel flint striker, chat cloth and some jute. We've had a great time learning to use all the items. I noticed the other night he has an old school backpack in his closet full of gear, including 550 cord, candles, a honeybun and a steak knife. I guess it's time I got him his first fixed blade knife. Maybe this is a good weekend to build a hobo stove.

That's an outdoorsman who knows what's good right there.

Read all of those when I was a child plus Island of the Blue Dolphins and the Incredible Journey and probably a whole lot more I will think of after I hit 'click'.

Our children have read all of the ones mentioned, plus my oldest has never forgiven me for 'The Yearling'. Too sad, apparently.
SquirrellyDan
AG
Where the Red Fern Grows, Hatchet, and My Side of the Mountain were all great....I'll have to dig them up and re-read them. Also, any book by Bill Wallace was awesome when I was a kid.
OldCamp
"Hatchet" and other Gary Paulsen books defined my childhood.
If you haven't read his works I highly recommend them regardless of your age. There are too many great works of his to recommend here.
trouble
AG
The Yearling almost did me in. I chose it for a book report in 5th grade.
Woods Ag
AG
That's awesome! Time to put that pack to use and take him on an overnight hike in Big Bend or somewhere similar
BurrOak
AG
Of all the books listed so far, the only one I have read is Where the Red Fern Grows. I've heard of all the others, just never read them. The Jim Kjelgaard books were my favorites as kid, most notably Lion Hound and Big Red.

I guess I'm going to have to order these other ones listed and give them a read.
Woods Ag
AG
Heck yah! I read all those too. They were some of my favorites.

Just bought every book mentioned so i have a collection for my boy (if and when he comes) lol
gigemJTH12
AG
PineTreeAg said:

"Hatchet" and other Gary Paulsen books defined my childhood.
If you haven't read his works I highly recommend them regardless of your age. There are too many great works of his to recommend here.
"brians winter"

this thread is nostalgic!
BurrOak
AG
I have a daughter arriving in a couple weeks. I'll be reading these to her as well!
FSGuide
I'm gonna have to get these books for my kids.

I remember reading Big Red and the sequels when I was young. My sister gave my son Big Red for Christmas last year. He loved it. Now his younger sister is reading it.
FIDO 96
AG
What was your response as a kid after reading any of the above books or seeing Red Dawn for the first time. I remember assembling my first bug-out bag. It was a nylon green backpack from Gibson's loaded with the following:

Nylon 1/4" braided rope
P38 can opener
Knock-off USGI canteen
Daisy 1911style BB pistol and 3 bags of BBS (anyone remember the ketchup size packets of BBs?)
2 cans Vienna sausage
1 can Dinty Moore Beef stew
Plastic spoon
Candle
IFAK made from a medicine bottle and whatever crappy bandaids we had in the medicine cabinet.
Medicine Bottle fishing kit (sinkers, swivels and hooks with mono wrapped around the outside
Black tape stolen from my dad's tool box
Homemade buddy burner
2-blade Old Timer knife
Prized possession: Maglite flashlight
Strike anywhere matches stolen from local Catholic Church

spud1910
AG
Loved those books as a kid. I don't remember the Hatchet. May have to check that out.
Ferg
My folks bought me a book called Run Rainey Run as a kid, about a hunting dog. I really enjoyed it.

https://www.google.com/imgres?imgurl=&imgrefurl=http://underthebigpine.com/run-rainey-run-little-book-that-launched-a-career/&h=533&w=800&tbnid=mLozdYTZhxipDM:&tbnh=160&tbnw=240&usg=__qTyVDN2zyjuitbtCiPh2bovxWvk%3D&vet=10ahUKEwjIi6aO3MPaAhWi8YMKHRy9AucQ_B0IbjAK..i&docid=tQKkWFW7f406bM&itg=1&sa=X&ved=0ahUKEwjIi6aO3MPaAhWi8YMKHRy9AucQ_B0IbjAK
malenurse
AG
FIDO 96 said:

What was your response as a kid after reading any of the above books or seeing Red Dawn for the first time. I remember assembling my first bug-out bag. It was a nylon green backpack from Gibson's loaded with the following:

Nylon 1/4" braided rope
P38 can opener
Knock-off USGI canteen
Daisy 1911style BB pistol and 3 bags of BBS (anyone remember the ketchup size packets of BBs?)
2 cans Vienna sausage
1 can Dinty Moore Beef stew
Plastic spoon
Candle
IFAK made from a medicine bottle and whatever crappy bandaids we had in the medicine cabinet.
Medicine Bottle fishing kit (sinkers, swivels and hooks with mono wrapped around the outside
Black tape stolen from my dad's tool box
Homemade buddy burner
2-blade Old Timer knife
Prized possession: Maglite flashlight
Strike anywhere matches stolen from local Catholic Church

I was an altar boy too. But that's not what I stole from the sacristy.
(altar boy and priest jokes protected)
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But, it's still on the list.
44mAG
AG
My favorite line of books when I was a kid was Jim Kjelgaard's Big Red Line of books. I am not a big reader today by any means, and wasn;t really in school, but I remember loving Big Red from the first page to the last like I was there with them.
Woods Ag
AG
The first one I read and instantly fell in love with was Snow Dog, but they were all so good.

I grew up in a family that didn't hunt. We were oil field trash as my dad would put it. Our yearly vacations were week long camping trips to Lake Travis.

It's clear to me now how drawn I was to the Wilderness because all my favorite books were all of these... it just took until my 30s to realize that the Wilderness, mountains, wildlife is where I am most drawn.
AgEng98
Netflix had the film version available last year. It was one of the rainy day movies they showed us up through third or fourth grade. There were some big differences from the book, but still entertaining in that campy late 60s/early 70s vibe.
ursusguy
AG
Man a bunch of these laid the groundwork for me wanting to be a wildlife biologist.
college of AG
AG
my kids have read most of these and just finished "rascal"

It is along the same line and a favorite of theirs.
insulator_king
AG
Old Yeller.

and

Bristle Face by Zachary Ball

Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.