Outdoors
Sponsored by

Help me investigate! Crazy situation involving DPD

8,442 Views | 45 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by aggielostinETX
nashvilleaggie11
How long do you want to ignore this user?

This morning, USAA (our insurance) called us saying they needed more information about the auto claim that was filed yesterday. Red flags immediately went up because I filed nothing yesterday. They then went on to tell me that there was an incident in a Dallas Walmart parking lot and "my" 2010 White Toyota Rav4 opened the door and hit someone else's vehicle and caused door damage. The driver of the Toyota refused that there was damage so the driver of the other vehicle went to the North Central Police Station to try and file an accident report.

Here's the thing. I DID NOT GO TO A WALMART YESTERDAY. I DO NOT NOR HAVE I EVER OWNED A 2010 WHITE TOYOTA RAV4. Also, the license plate the guy reported to police and USAA was NOWHERE CLOSE TO ANY LICENSE PLATE I HAVE EVER HAD.

After 3 hours of back and forth calls with USAA, we also learned that the guy who reported the accident said the driver of the Rav was a hispanic male. NOT ME OR MY HUSBAND.

USAA said the guy had gone into the police station and THE POLICE HAD GIVEN HIM OUR POLICY INFORMATION. Even though the license plate he was giving this whole time ran to the Hispanic male and never to me.

THIS IS THE IMPORTANT PART: I visited the North Central Police Station yesterday at 1:30pm to pick up an accident form because someone must have hit my car in a parking lot the other day. TOTALLY UNRELATED. Although I gave the police no information, I believe they scanned my plate and got my info as I pulled into the station because there was a cop car on and the cop got out to greet me after I parked.

THIS IS THE SAME STATION THAT THIS MAN WENT TO 2 HOURS LATER TO REPORT HIS ACCIDENT.
I THINK THE POLICE THOUGHT THEY WERE BEING SMART AND THOUGHT THEY WERE PUTTING 2 AND 2 TOGETHER AND ASSUMED I WAS THE PERSON INVOLVED IN THE OTHER GUY'S PARKING LOT ACCIDENT AND GAVE THIS GUY MY INSURANCE INFORMATION.

The police are "looking into it." HOW CAN THIS HAPPEN? USAA was going to file the claim against my Highlander since they didn't have record of the Toyota on my account. I could have seriously been screwed. And it wasted hours of my life today. And the police are giving out private information?

nashvilleaggie11
Update from.yesterday 4/13:

From what have I have been able to find, he is a 67 year old unmarried male living in a $550k house in Dallas. This morning I called USAA asking if they could call him and see if we could all get on a call so I can get to the bottom of how he got my policy number. He told the agent he wouldn't talk to me and did not want to tell me what police station he went to (he must have forgot he had already given that info to my insurance in initial report. So I know what station) or the name of the officer he spoke with. He also said he was hiring a private investigator. So WTF.
JAG03
45-70Ag
AG
What a cluster fu@k
The Fife
That's weird.

I'm confused about housing prices in Texas... is $550K the big house that it was 10 years ago, or is it a 3/2 ranch from the mid-'70s?
45-70Ag
AG
What's his address
nashvilleaggie11
It's a 3 bed 2.5 bath built in 80s. 3,000 sq ft
nashvilleaggie11
Could a PI get my name/address based off a policy number?
Hoss
AG
I'm confused. First you said you knew which station be filed the report at and then you said he wouldn't tell you which station he filed the report at. Who told you which station he went to?
nashvilleaggie11
I meant to put an aside note in that update that said even though he refuses to tell the agent yesterday what station he has been to he must have forgot he had already given that info to my insurance in initial report. So I know what station.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
If you know his address, I would send him a letter with half of it in all caps.
45-70Ag
AG
Can you ask Usaa to change your policy number?
nashvilleaggie11
That's a good idea
AnyOtherName
AG
Walmart Cameras?

Prove where you were the other day when he was at walmart?

Go to his house and burn it to the ground?
nashvilleaggie11
Ge already admitted it was a Hispanic male and the name he gave matched the name that the license plate matched to.

So wtf does he think hes going to do? Claim that this dude was borrowing "my" vehicle?
45-70Ag
AG
AnyOtherName said:

Walmart Cameras?

GE
AG
Post his name.
WP69
AG
What's the issue that concerns you?

USAA paying an erroneous claim? From what you have written, it doesn't sound like this is a worry. USAA lives up to the rep in cases like this.

or

Concerned with the police filing something like leaving the scene of an accident?
nashvilleaggie11
Insurance is denying claim and I think I am likely off the hook. My problem is that police are handing out policy numbers like candy. That's a big issue that needs to be looked into.
OnlyForNow
AG
nashvilleaggie11 said:

Insurance is denying claim and I think I am likely off the hook. My problem is that police are handing out policy numbers like candy. That's a big issue that needs to be looked into.

This. The police don't have any right to give out other folks insurance info.
CS78
**** on his door step. If that doesn't make you feel better, **** on the cops doorstep.
suprafly03
AG
Read the first paragraph. Wanted to make fun of you for driving a RAV-4.....second paragraph crushed my dreams...that is all.
Mateo84
AG
I was involved in a hit and run recently where someone hit my vehicle with their vehicle's mirror. I called the police when the guy refused to stop. The police gave me his insurance information without me even asking for it.
Burdizzo
AG
Check with the poster Bocephus. I think he works for DPD. He might be able to look into it.
Ag83
AG
A lady hit me last November. Officer gave me a card with her info (name, license plate (not that I needed that), insurance carrier and policy #, etc).
nashvilleaggie11
But I didn't hit anyone! Nothing about his situation traces back to me!
35chililights
AG
Guess what, databases can be wrong sometimes.

nashvilleaggie11
No, that would be WAY too coincidental. The fact that I was in the same police station two hours earlier....no, that would be like getting struck by lightning twice.
Watchful Ag
AG
Sooo you're not in Nashville?
ursusguy
AG
I tend to like DPD.....

My buddy was a Fuel City this Saturday getting tacos, and had one of the fine denizens pull a gun on him. He called the cops, and waited around while said idiot got in line at the carwash. Got video and photos of the vehicle (dealer plates oh yippy). Two cop cars got there at the same time, twenty minutes later and about one minute after the guy left.

Now I am hungry and headed to Fuel City.
YokelRidesAgain
AG
Irish_Man said:

AnyOtherName said:

Walmart Cameras?

No, no, this is a serious situation. The only thing for it is for OP to tear down his own fence.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
nashvilleaggie11
Right. No longer.
Bocephus
AG
Two officers sit in cars at every station to guard the stations. The city still has not built fences to protect the station parking lots (DFD has them) despite the attacks on headquarters and multiple incidents of squad cars being shot at etc. That is why someone was in a squad car in front of the station and greeted you.

I'm confused about your post. Was the claim that someone opened their car door hard and it dented another car/car door next to it?

Sorry you are having to go through all of this.
nashvilleaggie11
I figured that was the case and I have no problem with them sitting out there and running plates because it really is for the safety of the station.

So yes, the guy said he was parked in the Walmart parking lot and "my" white Toyota Rav4 opened the door next to him and hit his car and caused damage.

The Sergeant gave me a call this morning and said they are still looking into it and the officer they think gave my information is at a weeklong training so they won't be able to talk to him until next week.
ag09
AG
DPD.

Stopped reading.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.