Outdoors
Sponsored by

Fly Fishing Jackson Hole or Yellowstone or somewhere around there suggs and reccs

1,631 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by Stat Monitor Repairman
texagvet95
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Well I did the florida keys for spring break and had a ball with the help of great suggs and reccs from Texags chat. Now I am looking at the yellowstone/teton/jackson area for flyfishing in july. I did yellowstone and tetons spincast last summer but had the whole family in tow. This will be 3 guys only with one thing in mind. Thanks in advance.
76Ag
AG
Firehole River in Yellowstone. Below the dam on the Snake River in Tetons National Park. That's either Jenny lake or the other lake in the area but I don't recall the name.
Blue Duck
AG
Check out the Quake Lake area west of Yellowstone. There are some great stretches of the Madison River that can be accessed in that area.
chocolatelabs
AG
Try Blue Damsel Lodge.

I think they have an Aggie Connection.

http://www.bluedamsel.com/
One-Eyed Fat Man
AG
Lamar in Yellowstone. That area's less crowded than some of the other areas there.
Upper Madison near Ennis.
Yellowstone in Paradise Valley, south of Livingston, MT.
Arctic Ag
AG
In Yellowstone and Teton all you have to do is hike a little ways away from the easy access points and you'll have prime fishing all to yourself.

In Jackson, most guided trips float the snake. Loads of rivers and streams with tons of access to great trout fishing if you're willing to hike a bit.

If you want big trophy rainbows, most people were hitting the green river closer to Pinedale back when I lived around there. It's been a few years though, so the pressure may have pushed them further down river.

If you're really serious about big fish, try and time it with the full moon and fish at night for big brown trout with streamers.

Gear-
-waders without felt bottomed shoes
-5, 6, or 7 wt rod(s) with floating line for dry flies and something a little heavier for streamers
-short rod in 4 or 5 wt for some beaver pond and brush fishing....practice a slingshot cast
-polarized sunglasses
-backpack to carry lunch and fishing gear
-bear spray

There's loads of great fly fishing all over the area you mentioned. You just have to figure out where you want to focus. Make sure to stop in every fly shop and check out the board to see what's working. The fly shop on the square in Jackson always seemed to have the most knowledgeable guides that were also helpful, never used them for anything other than flies or info though since I had my own boat.

My go to's
-mosquito fly size 18-22 for beaver ponds in the evenings
-mayflies.....if they're hatching
-wooly boogers - mostly olive and black, but the cowboy Joe works too (brown & yellow)
-tan deer fly
-royal coachman
-elk hair caddis

And the holographic panther Martin for backup
Arctic Ag
AG
On second thought.....if you aren't dragging the wife and kids along, why go in July? That is peak season for tourists and the whole area is crowded. If you wait until after Labor Day the crowds go down drastically and prices get cheaper.

Around the 3rd week of September is my favorite. That's when the leaves start changing colors and the elk start bugling
texagvet95
Arctic Ag, thanks for the input. Sounds like you know the area well. If you were me where would you headquarter for the week. West Yellowstone, inside Yellowstone, Teton village, Jackson Hole or somewhere else??
Tx.Ag
AG
I'll be in the Jackson Hole area next week with my family, so I thought I'd bump this thread. I'll have kids with me and won't be able to hike in too far to fish. Hoping to find some fairly easy access points where I can fly fish for an hour or two here and there while the kids hike/play around. Any thoughts much appreciated.

Thanks!
FrontPorchAg
I just got back from Jackson yesterday. Now isn't the best time to be fly fishing because the spring runoff carries a lot of silt and makes fishing hard. The Snake is really high right now even for this time of year.

One of my renters is a fly guide and he has been driving clients down to Bondurant and floating down there because the fishing has been better. It's a bit of a drive but definitely worth it.

If you don't want to go that far you can fish the Hoback river about 35 minutes to an hour South of Jackson. It is a more reasonable flow to be wading with kids and has several public access points that are easy to get to.

https://www.jacksonholenet.com/lakes_rivers_falls/hoback_river.php
All animals are equal, but some animals are more equal than others
Stat Monitor Repairman
Look for a town called Alpine, Wyoming. Look on the map for Forest Road 10138.

Follow that road along the river as far back as you dare to go. You'll be able to find a place along the river to pull out and fish with some peace and quiet.

It's all public land up in there with good fishing where people wont be all up on you like they will be in or near the parks.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.