Outdoors
Sponsored by

Oman Fishing

3,409 Views | 17 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by Salt of the water
Courtesy Flush
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I recently spent a weekend fishing offshore the east coast of Oman in the Indian Ocean. We flew into an airport in Salalah, Oman and then drove about 4 hours north to a place called Ash Shuwaymiyyah. There are some islands about 25 miles offshore which are considered the best place in the world for really big GT's (giant travelly) up to around 130 pounds. A British guy who grew up in Dubai fishing the area set up a camp there called No Boundaries and the hard core GT fishermen keep him pretty busy throughout the season. This was my first time to fish for them and unfortunately, we never saw a GT but caught many fish that were all new to this Gulf of Mexico hand. I think we ended up with over 25 different species of fish. Here are a few.

Queenfish

Yellow Spot Trevally

Spangled Emporer

The only GT we saw during the trip .

A few of the wadis along the coast.

Really cool wadi with an oasis. The guide said they sometimes sit down there in the evenings and watch the game coming down out of the mountains into the oasis.

Courtesy Flush
AG
For you boat guys, here are a few pics of the boat we fished. It was about 32 feet and set up well for casting while drifting over the reefs. We had 2 guys slinging big GT baits on really heavy spinning tackle and there was plenty of room.

Ragoo
AG
Oman that looks cool!
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
Looks like a hell of a trip.
LSB_2002
AG
Sounds like an amazing trip! Need more fish pics!
matthewj042
Jason C.
AG
Ragoo said:

Oman that looks cool!

Yemen it really does.
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
I bet you couldn't Kuwait?
Courtesy Flush
AG
Honestly, Iran when they said no beer allowed.
javajaws
AG
This would have been easier if there was a "star all posts" option.
"Those who would give up essential Liberty, to purchase a little temporary Safety, deserve neither Liberty nor Safety." - Ben Franklin
Salt of the water
AG
Rufnek said:

For you boat guys, here are a few pics of the boat we fished. It was about 32 feet and set up well for casting while drifting over the reefs. We had 2 guys slinging big GT baits on really heavy spinning tackle and there was plenty of room.

Needs more rocket launchers on the T-top.

Looks pretty narrow with some decent deadrise at the stern. Was the drift pretty stable?
Shumba
AG
Great pics! I think Iraq'ed up enough airline miles to make it there free, but I'm such a big Turkey that I don't know if I could fish in the Middle East.
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
I have been racking my Bahrain wondering if I would feel safe in Middle Eastern waters in anything less than a Coast Guard Qatar.
Shumba
AG
I'm with you LoudestWHOOP!. But if I were to catch one of those GTs I would be yelling like Fred Flintstone, saying "Abu Dhabi doooo!".
Ragoo
AG
the Persian responsible for these puns needs to say Dubai.
Courtesy Flush
AG
I live in Abu Dhabi and fish in the Arabian Gulf most weekends. I found an old school Aquasport over here that had recently been restored with new engines. It is the same boat that used to be so popular along the Texas gulf coast and I had several friends that had this same boat while I was growing up. I bought it from a Palestinian guy and the transaction went well. He was honest and treated me fairly when we made the deal.
I bought the boat, added my very regional name to it J, and now use it most weekends. The fishing isn't great here though. We catch many of the same fish we catch offshore of Texas kingfish, grouper, snapper and ling. The difference is that over here all the fish are small. I think it is due to fishing pressure. There is almost unrestricted commercial fishing over here and if it isn't the fishing boats from the UAE, it is boats from Qatar, Iran and other places that are responsible for the over-fishing. There are big kings that are caught around the offshore oil and gas platforms but they restrict people from even entering the field so we can't get anywhere close to them. Many of the local boys fish around them and they do catch (or spear) nice fish. Here are some pics of my boat.

BigHead 04
AG
Nice camel toe! I bet it smells fishy
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Courtesy Flush
AG
Didn't think this was worthy of a new thread, but I made a 2nd trip to target Giant Trevally and had some success. In March we went to the East Coast of Oman. This past weekend we went to Musandam, Oman and fished out of a town called Khasab. Musandam is on the tip of the Arabian Peninsula and we were fishing on the Oman side of the Straits of Hormuz. There were of us 2 anglers on the boat and we landed 6 GT's, this kingfish and a really nice ling in 2 days of fishing. The GT's in these pics were the ones I caught. They were caught on a topwater popper and so I'm sure you can imagine the explosion when they hit. The guy fishing with me was using a stick bait and he caught more but his were all smaller than these two. The captain measured these and estimated them to be around 66 pounds. The kingfish was measured and estimated to be around 57 pounds which is much bigger than any kingfish I've caught in the GoM. We also had a nice ling that was a bit over 45 pounds. Who knew they had ling in the Straits of Hormuz???

I've been told the kingfish over here are a slightly different species than what we have in the Gulf of Mexico. At first I was skeptical but I think it's true. I know one thing, I have eaten the kingfish over here and they are really good eating. I haven't eaten a GoM kingfish in a really long time, but I don't remember them to be very good at all and they certainly didn't have the white, flaky meat that these have.

Here's a pic I probably wasn't supposed to take. It is an island that looks out over the Straits of Hormuz with an Oman navy base. We didn't really get too close to it but I thought it was really cool how they used the landscape to position their view onto the straits.

My time is the sandbox is up and we will be moving from Abu Dhabi back to Texas in a few weeks. It's been a great assignment but this Texas is ready to come home!!
Salt of the water
AG
Nice geets!

Was the mackerel maybe some type of Spanish? May explain why it's better eating than GOM kings.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.