Outdoors
Sponsored by

REI statement on relationship with Vista Outdoor

11,736 Views | 79 Replies | Last: 4 yr ago by cupofjoe04
Swarely
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Quote:

REI does not sell guns. We believe that it is the job of companies that manufacture and sell guns and ammunition to work towards common sense solutions that prevent the type of violence that happened in Florida last month. In the last few days, we've seen such action from companies like Dick's Sporting Goods and Walmart and we applaud their leadership.

This week, we have been in active discussions with Vista Outdoor, which has recently acquired several companies that are longtime partners of REI. These include Giro, Bell, Camelbak, Camp Chef and Blackburn. Vista also owns Savage Arms, which manufactures guns including "modern sporting rifles."

This morning we learned that Vista does not plan to make a public statement that outlines a clear plan of action. As a result, we have decided to place a hold on future orders of products that Vista sells through REI while we assess how Vista proceeds.

Companies are showing they can contribute if they are willing to lead. We encourage Vista to do just that.

https://newsroom.rei.com/company-information/statements/rei-statement-on-relationship-with-vista-outdoor.htm

Well, today is the day I cancel my REI credit card.
BlueSmoke
Russ11
AG
REI always seemed like it was for the non hunting crowd some anyways
CactusThomas
AG
Today? Really? REI has been the enemy for a very long time.
htxag09
AG
Agreed, REI has always seemed to cater to more of the hippy outdoor crowd, not the "outdoorsman." That said, they have an awesome selection, so I typically go to REI to try things on and see what I like, then buy online for a decent amount cheaper.
BrazosDog02
AG
Aren't these the guys that sell supplies for people who climb mountains and poop on glaciers?
Finn Maccumhail
AG
The idea that the moves by Dick's and Wal Mart, respectively, constitute "common sense measures" which might mitigate future shootings is so far removed from reality and common sense it's difficult to debate because you're effectively trying to debate with a crazy person who is 100% convinced that water is not wet.
FIDO*98*
AG
It will be interesting to see who has the real leverage here. One of the reasons I shop at REI has to do with the fact that they carry those brands. If they don't carry them any more, I won't have a reason to go in.

I really like their Kuhn line as well. May have to find a new source for them
FincAg
AG
I saw Dicks and Walmart more as signalling rather than anything else. They will continue to sell firearms just not a specific type that has a stigma. So sort of a CYA so their name is no longer associated with the design.

Like FIDO mentioned, I know plenty of folks who shop their for these products alone. Looks like Amazon and Sun & Ski just picked up a few more sales.
IDAGG
AG
They have nice products but their target market has always been the granola crowd. They have to do something like this or their customers will fling their Birkenstocks at the employees.
bam02
AG
REI issues a credit card?!?!?! Those can be dangerous in the wrong hands!!!
marcel ledbetter
Your REI membership fees are used to support rabid environmental/anti hunting groups such as the Oregon Natural Desert Alliance and the Western Watersheds Project. There are probably similar groups in your area they support. They do have nice products, but I can get almost every hunting/camping item I need at Sportsman's Warehouse.
John Cocktolstoy
Fuch em, a bunch of hippy libtards.
Second Hardest Workin Man on Texags
Texas 1836
AG
https://rei.custhelp.com/app/contact_us#tabs-3
schmellba99
AG
Finn Maccumhail said:

The idea that the moves by Dick's and Wal Mart, respectively, constitute "common sense measures" which might mitigate future shootings is so far removed from reality and common sense it's difficult to debate because you're effectively trying to debate with a crazy person who is 100% convinced that water is not wet.
Anytime the term "common sense" is mentioned in any political discussion, it's guaranteed to be anything but common sense.
MouthBQ98
AG
More empty headed political virtue signaling. They are far more worried, as are the politicians and special interests, about appearances than results.
'03ag
bam02 said:

REI issues a credit card?!?!?! Those can be dangerous in the wrong hands!!!
I bet they're High Capacity cards as well. You don't need a credit limit that high to go hunting. I'm not shopping there until they make common sense credit reforms.
HSEAG13
Meh, can get all those brands at academy. Typically I just go to rei for backpacking/camping stuff anyways.

They'll still get my business just like any other place, but honestly amazon or steepandcheap typically have better pricing.
Rydyn
AG
I love my Savage Arms MSR. They just got into the AR15-type market. I hope they don't do anything stupid.
NRH ag 10
AG
I them an email letting them know after being a member for 8 years, I am putting any orders from REI on hold while they have orders from Vista on hold and I am disappointed they have an issue with a constitutionally protected right.

Their reply was a link to their position statement. No **** guys, that's why I'm not giving you money any more.
Texas 1836
AG

REI Vista Outdoor

Hello,

Thanks for emailing the co-op, and your feedback regarding Vista Outdoor.

Please read REI's statement on our newsroom at https://newsroom.rei.com/company-information/statements/rei-statement-on-relationship-with-vista-outdoor.htm.

Best,

Andrew A.
REI Customer Service

Rydyn
AG
Hello, Vista Outdoors.

I'm sorry about the concerns that REI has with your MSR product. I love mine and I promise to never, never shoot anyone with it.

I have never bought anything from REI but I am a loyal customer of Savage Arms. We can do just fine together without them.
DeadCiv
AG
Errrbody calm down. Just do what you think is right, and trust the guy next to you to do the same.

We'll all get through this.

Just focus on brisket and roto-molded coolers.
Rydyn
AG
Holy cow.

Vista Outdoors owns literally all my favorite brands.

Bushnell
RCBS
Tasco
Bolle'
Hoppe's
CCI
Speer
Alliant Powder
Savage Arms (oooo... the bad guy)
Camelbak
Bell Helmets

Please don't bow to the pressure...

FrontPorchAg
Swarely said:

Quote:

REI does not sell guns. We believe that it is the job of companies that manufacture and sell guns and ammunition to work towards common sense solutions that prevent the type of violence that happened in Florida last month. In the last few days, we've seen such action from companies like Dick's Sporting Goods and Walmart and we applaud their leadership.

This week, we have been in active discussions with Vista Outdoor, which has recently acquired several companies that are longtime partners of REI. These include Giro, Bell, Camelbak, Camp Chef and Blackburn. Vista also owns Savage Arms, which manufactures guns including "modern sporting rifles."

This morning we learned that Vista does not plan to make a public statement that outlines a clear plan of action. As a result, we have decided to place a hold on future orders of products that Vista sells through REI while we assess how Vista proceeds.

Companies are showing they can contribute if they are willing to lead. We encourage Vista to do just that.

https://newsroom.rei.com/company-information/statements/rei-statement-on-relationship-with-vista-outdoor.htm

Well, today is the day I cancel my REI credit card.
You know you can return your membership and get your $15 back.
Ol_Ag_02
AG
BrazosDog02 said:

Aren't these the guys that sell supplies for people who climb mountains and poop on glaciers?

I know can you imagine. The nerve of those *******s being outdoors and *****
Swarely
I actually didn't know that.

Just occurred to me. REI is a co-op right? Just need some people to run for the board of directors that are pro gun. Even if they don't win, if they get enough votes it sends a message.
Texas 1836
AG
Swarely said:

Just occurred to me. REI is a co-op right? Just need some people to run for the board of directors that are pro gun. Even if they don't win, if they get enough votes it sends a message.
I didn't know that either
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
Texas 1836 said:

Swarely said:

The power of Texags unite!
Owner of Texian Firearms:
Dealer in Firearms, Optics, Night Vision and other shooting accessories.
US importer/distributor of Rudolph Optics
Supporting bad financial decisions since 2015
FIDO 96
AG
Odd they are doing this when it's this close to dividend time. Lots of missed sales.
Log
AG
TheEyeGuy said:

Texas 1836 said:

Swarely said:

Heck, I've been a member since 2002 and have one within a half mile of me and another I drive by regularly. In all seriousness, nominate my arse, and I'll bring the full force of the DGAF grumpy old man (And I'm not old. Yet.) , "come at me bro!", & "This is how we do it in TX, you granola eating turds".

I know nothing about politics and subscribe to the Andrew Jackson method of calling for duels or beating someone down with a cane on the street, but I figure I can stir up enough discord to effect change.

If TA wants to do it, let's get this set up and I'll go for it.
tlh3842
AG
They've got plenty of the far left, liberal, tree hugger-type customer base so they aren't worried.
AtlAg05
AG
You need to yell at some clouds as well, but you've got my vote!
Swarely
You've got my vote!
bam02
AG
Log said:

TheEyeGuy said:

Texas 1836 said:

Swarely said:

Heck, I've been a member since 2002 and have one within a half mile of me and another I drive by regularly. In all seriousness, nominate my arse, and I'll bring the full force of the DGAF grumpy old man (And I'm not old. Yet.) , "come at me bro!", & "This is how we do it in TX, you granola eating turds".

I know nothing about politics and subscribe to the Andrew Jackson method of calling for duels or beating someone down with a cane on the street, but I figure I can stir up enough discord to effect change.

If TA wants to do it, let's get this set up and I'll go for it.

Now THIS is Hope and Change!
Last Page
Page 1 of 3

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.