Outdoors
Sponsored by

Zebra Mussels in Lady Bird Lake

2,471 Views | 22 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by docb
Chipotlemonger
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
http://www.statesman.com/news/local/zebra-mussels-spotted-lady-bird-lake-lake-austin-now-infested/W7ZbunFIBzf36Lgde1jEKO/

Don't think I saw this posted yet, but I know we had a thread on zebra mussels earlier for Lake Travis. Is there a long term plan for killing them?
schmellba99
AG
I think Ursus mentioned once that there was something that was being tested on them that showed promise. Generally speaking though, the issue with something like this is that whatever agent ends up being used to kill the zebra mussels will likely kill a whole lot of other organisms in the process. When that happens, opportunistic nature takes place and then you have a brand new "huh, never saw that coming" type of problem on your hand.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Can somebody transport them to Lake Houston? We need to clean up the water.
EMY92
AG
Finn Maccumhail said:

Don't worry, someone has or will soon.
Ezra Brooks
AG
Finn Maccumhail said:

They eat cars, tires, and all of the other junk that can be found in the lake?

What about all of the silt that caused the catastrophic Kingwood flooding (ducking)
MouthBQ98
AG
Don't think you have to worry too much. They need a solid substrate to attach to in their adult form. I don't think knee deep silty mud will work. They might like the 1960 bridge and docks though.

The interesting part will be when they start clogging the water supply to the city of Houston.
P.H. Dexippus
AG
Hopefully this stuff works
https://marronebioinnovations.com/molluscicide/zequanox/
Finn Maccumhail
AG
I'm only halfway joking about wanting them in the lake. They'd clean it up and there's so much biomass it would still be ok. Maybe.
Cen-Tex
AG
Had an engineer friend that worked at a power plant on Lake Erie many years ago when the zebras were confined to the Great Lakes. He said they tried chlorinating their water pumps and piping contaminated by the mussels. They discovered that the zebras closed their shells during the chlorination process and once the chlorine had passed, they went about their business. It's like they sensed the threat. Hope this new chemical process works.
JeremiahJohnson
AG
I sell chemicals for it..... guess I need to visit Austin
MouthBQ98
AG
FYI, did some snorkeling last weekend in Travis and there are little clumps or colonies of Zebra Mussels all over. They're not growing thick yet, but they are everywhere on the lower lake in small numbers.

I pried a few loose and they are pretty easy to physically remove by hand.
snowaggie
The snorkeling is going to get a lot better with more zebras....too bad the collapse of the food chain will be the cost.
Gardening Ag
The same thing was said about the big mouth carp in the Missouri River. It seems like the population has naturally collapsed. Nature will bring it back in balance.
rather be fishing
AG
snowaggie said:

The snorkeling is going to get a lot better with more zebras....too bad the collapse of the food chain will be the cost.

Swimming is prohibited in Town/Lady Bird Lake. I assume that covers snorkeling/SCUBA.
Potcake
AG
Alewife and salt cedar say hey.
SanAntoneAg
AG
Bonus for the alewife mention. Haven't heard that since I lived in suburban Chicago as a kid and my dad used to take us to Montrose Harbor on Lake Michigan to chunk spoons for salmon and steelhead.

Alewife is pretty much the equivalent to what we know on the coast as menhaden.
Gig 'em! '90
Badace52
AG
Potcake said:

And rosehedge, and European wild boar, and starlings, and mediterranean geckos, and brown anoles, and plecos, and nutria, and tilapia, and eurasian collared dove, and water hyacinth, and hydrilla, and privet, and kudzu, and castor bean, and chinese tallow, and so-on and so-forth
CM
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
schmellba99
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

Don't think you have to worry too much. They need a solid substrate to attach to in their adult form. I don't think knee deep silty mud will work. They might like the 1960 bridge and docks though.

The interesting part will be when they start clogging the water supply to the city of Houston.
I bet the million or so tree stumps still in the lake will provide a solid foundation, as will bridge pilings, the mile long dam, tainter gates, NEWTP intake structure and piping, wharves, docks, boats, etc.
schmellba99
AG
Rusty_Shakleford said:

The same thing was said about the big mouth carp in the Missouri River. It seems like the population has naturally collapsed. Nature will bring it back in balance.
It hasn't in a single place that zebra mussels have invaded in the country so far.
schmellba99
AG
Badace52 said:

Potcake said:

And rosehedge, and European wild boar, and starlings, and mediterranean geckos, and brown anoles, and plecos, and nutria, and tilapia, and eurasian collared dove, and water hyacinth, and hydrilla, and privet, and kudzu, and castor bean, and chinese tallow, and so-on and so-forth
Don't forget asian carp, kudzu and things like hydrilla (I think that's the plant that grows on the water here and can cover the entire water surface that is invasive).
Build It
AG
Add European honey bees
MouthBQ98
AG
I've contemplated starting a side business for physical removal of mussels from boats stored in floating marinas in local lakes. It'd just take some plastic scrapers and lots of snorkel time, and maybe a wet suit. sCUBA would be overkill. Or, trailer/hoist the boats and do it on land.
schmellba99
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

I've contemplated starting a side business for physical removal of mussels from boats stored in floating marinas in local lakes. It'd just take some plastic scrapers and lots of snorkel time, and maybe a wet suit. sCUBA would be overkill. Or, trailer/hoist the boats and do it on land.

This will only work if you name it Footsteps Falco Mussel Service
docb
AG
I'm quite sure the zebra mussels will end up in the entirety of the Colorado river system including Decker and Bastrop as water is pumped in from the Colorado.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.