Outdoors
Sponsored by

Mexico Lease 2018 Season 14,000 acres

3,743 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by tx4guns
DVM97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I am looking at leasing 14,000 acres in Mexico. I am familiar with this area and have hunted near it in the past. I have been hunting in Mexico for 10 years, and take my kids, I feel safe and comfortable where we hunt. I will be looking for 5-6 guns to join a group of 4-5 guys. (10 total trophy members). Hunting season runs from the weekend before Thanksgiving to the end of January. Gun permits and tags are all taken care of by the landowner and it's easy to cross guns as long as you have your paperwork. Lease price is $5000 and includes ONE trophy, culls as approved, hogs, varmints, etc., this does not include protein, corn, gun permits ($100), tags ($80), and road maintenance. There are mountain lions on the property and they are shoot on sight! Protein will average $500-$1000/year. Lodging is included it is nothing fancy, but has hot water, shower, etc. The ranch is located approximately 45 minutes from Laredo, all on black top road till you get to the gate. On an average hunt you will see 10-15 bucks and 15+ does. We shoot trophies at 7 1/2.

dvm1997@gmail.com
FishingAggie
What class of deer will be in the 7 1/2 year range? Ballpark.

In U.S. that's a great deal. Mexico makes me a little nervous. You've never had any trouble whatsoever down there?
DVM97
AG
I've never personally had an issue, I would never hunt near Falcon Lake, way to much drug traffic in that area. Our goal is 170" + deer, this ranch produces mid 160's regularly with the occasional 170, with no protein and a little cotton seed that does'nt get fed like it should (Jan-Aug). I'm optimistic that 180" deer can be grown here as the genetics are very good for mass, kickers, and tall tines.
plowboy1065
S
Not a bad price at all
AstroAggie15
AG
Can you hunt Dove, quail turkey?
SharkinAg
AG
How many gates we talking?
Tx-Ag2010
AG
Just curious, but how do you tell a 5.5, 6.5, 7.5 apart? I can understand 1.5, 2.5, 3.5. Do you have tags on them or just 7 years of pictures?
PFG
AG
I'm going to guess they run game cameras from late summer through end of season/Feb, and do it year after year. Helps to ID bucks, see them before, during, and after rut, and gives the group a chance to have age input from a computer screen - no rifle in hand to sway the decision. It's how we do it, and probably one of the best ways we have found for watching and aging trophy bucks.
schmellba99: Hard to believe people are looking at what is happening and thinking this is something other than a flu like bug
FishingAggie
One place I hunted we took video and all judged the animal in the evenings. It worked great unless you missed out and never saw your deer again. That didn't happen much with the guys who put in time.

Kept you from shooting a young deer.

I'd have trouble with a 5-7 year old deer. DVM. How do you guys do it?
matthewj042
AG
That's a pretty reasonable price.
DVM97
AG
Game cameras and time in the field are what we use to gauge age. We aren't always 100% accurate as a deer we don't "know" will occasionally show up, but game cameras are a huge part of our management plan. Over time you get to know the animals and get a good idea of age once you've been on a place for 3-4 years.

DVM
DVM97
AG
AstroAggie15 said:

Can you hunt Dove, quail turkey?
No turkey on the place, but yes dove, quail, ducks are allowed.

DVM
DVM97
AG
I'm looking for 2 guns.

DVM
cledus6150
AG
If only I didn't have to buy a house this year.
unearth222
AG
DVM,

I just joined a lease in mexico with a group of 7 guys. What is the closet town to you, and in what state? Maybe if we are down there during the same week we can meet and grab a beer during the season.

Good luck this year! the brush needs some water....no noticeable rain since December at our place. WE are lucky that we have lots of piped water and deep ponds.
tx4guns
AG
Just don't buy beers for the Federales in the cantinas!
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.