Outdoors
Sponsored by

Arming Teachers

2,476 Views | 30 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Blanco Jimenez
I Like Mike
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Need some ideas OB. I am a teacher in Bastrop and I want to approach some school board members outside of scheduled meetings to discuss the possibility of allowing CHL holders to carry in BISD. I am putting together a plan of action that includes training, costs, etc. Part of this action plan will be suggested equipment. I think teachers who carry should have some form of solid safety retention in a holster to prevent any shenanigans by students (gun being taken in a fight, or whatever). What recommendations can y'all give for IWB holsters that have superior retention capabilities?

Thanks for your thoughts!
TwoMarksHand
AG
No advice on holsters, but our local ISD has been arming teachers for the last 4 years or so. Only the school board know exactly which teachers carry. And I believe they all have training. And if I'm not mistaken, the ones who carry are strategically place around the campus.
ghollow
AG
My wife is a teacher and supports this idea.

Many of the teachers in her school are retired or ex-military or law enforcement. They understand what they would be getting themselves into and are more than ready to volunteer.

As far as holsters go, that will probably be in individual choice based on the individual and what they prefer.

Ideally, the students would not know who is carrying and who is not.
So the greatest civilization is one where all citizens are equally armed and can only be persuaded, never forced. It removes force from the equation... and that's why carrying a gun is a civilized act.
I Like Mike
AG
Do y'all know if weapon serial numbers. etc. are registered with the district? I guess I should find some districts that do this and get some of their ideas.
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
Do these Urban Carry Holsters work?
They seem to conceal well, but I have no practical experience.

TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
CalebMcCreary06 said:

Do y'all know if weapon serial numbers. etc. are registered with the district? I guess I should find some districts that do this and get some of their ideas.

Registered how?
Owner of Texian Firearms:
Dealer in Firearms, Optics, Night Vision and other shooting accessories.
US importer/distributor of Rudolph Optics
Supporting bad financial decisions since 2015
I Like Mike
AG
I know most districts track teachers but do they keep a record of what you are carrying too? I am trying to learn this whole process so I can write up a proposal that is thorough.
Bottlerocket
AG
Argyle ISD allows this. You might contact them
Thanks, will do!
I Like Mike
AG
Done! Appreciate it!
txyaloo
AG
You should look up the school marshal program and present the school board members or superintendent a cost/benefit for it. Tell them you'll pay for the required training.

They are much more likely to go for that program vs simply allowing LTC holders to carry on campus.
I Like Mike
AG
I have found several examples of district policy that allow either one. I hope to show them that districts all over Texas do this in multiple ways.
mrpay33
AG
Work with your District administration first before you unofficially contact Board members. Several districts in East Texas currently allow certain personnel to carry. Beckville ISD and Union Grove ISD can give you good information as to where to start
88planoAg
AG
Medina valley (or Medina) isd also
redass1876
AG
As long as it is optional and not requiring a teacher to do so, I am 100% behind this. maybe make it come with a little extra training
JSKolache
AG
Would suggest as a cost-savings options NOT buying/requiring specific holsters, because:
a) ISDs don't like to spend money, and
b) carriers have likely already chosen holsters that work with their attire, body build, etc.
zooguy96
I know a lot about a little, and a little about a lot.
I Like Mike
AG
Everyone was outside in Florida. Gun in room does you zero good.
SteveBott
AG
Not true. A couple were hit as he entered the building. Most were in the halls after he pulled the fire alarm.

Big discussion on AO after sandy hook and teachers had very mixed opinions on this subject.
ursusguy
AG
12 were killed inside the school.
zooguy96
zooguy96
schmellba99
AG
CalebMcCreary06 said:

Everyone was outside in Florida. Gun in room does you zero good.
You cannot plan for every possible scenario, trying to do so is an exercise in futility.

Honestly, given that schools are generally on the more liberal/fear guns side, it might behoove you to take this in a baby step fashion. A lot of folks don't like the idea of teachers actually being armed - but having a quick access safe in select rooms might be a good compromise. You aren't technically arming teachers, and firearms would be locked securely away all the while being rather easy for the correct person to obtain in a bad situation.

Just a thought.
zooguy96
ursusguy
AG
Prior to my current job, I had speaking engagements in a lot of assorted school districts. DISD, it almost seemed like checking into a prison. But suburbia of Collin and Denton counties, it wasn't all that uncommon for me to meander around a school for awhile if the admin offices weren't overly obvious. It actually scared the crap out of me a couple times how long I was wondering around before someone said something.
schmellba99
AG
Bob15 said:

I think the first thing is having schools more secure. In most schools, you can walk right into the school before you go to the office - the door is not locked. There should be some type of verification system (i.e. camera to be buzzed in).

There shouldn't be just one step taken - there needs to be a comprehensive approach.

I'm not against teachers and admin. having firearms.
This only works in schools that are designed with that approach.

In the town I grew up in, the junior high and high school were both open type campuses - meaning students were walking outside between buildings at regular intervals between classes.

Being buzzed in and out doesn't help much in that case, especially when one could set up in areas well off campus but have easy shots to campus if one were that inclined and that evil.
ursusguy
AG
So basically taking the zoo with dangerous animals approach....just not with a .375 or .416.
zooguy96
ursusguy
AG
Thought it was sort of odd that one of the DFW zoos has both a .375 and .416 on standby for SWAT.
80sGeorge
AG
https://www.tcole.texas.gov/content/school-marshals
zooguy96
Blanco Jimenez
AG
The school marshal program has a lot of the work done for you. Look into it. I am presenting it to our central office soon.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.