Outdoors
Sponsored by

Antelope unit rec

1,096 Views | 9 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Arctic Ag
cupofjoe04
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thinking of trying to chase my first speed goat this year. I know next to nothing about it.

If you were a rookie w/ zero antelope points anywhere- where you you try to get a tag? I'm open to CO, NM, WY, or TX. Open to archery, rifle, or black powder. Whatever gives me the best odds of punching a tag.

Looking for somewhere that I can get around some goats and learn about these things, I'm not trophy hunting. A good friend of mine just happens to be a helluva antelope guide, and we are talking about taking a couple days and hunting together this year. So, potentially. I won't be totally lost like a ball in high weeds. He suggested we look at WY. I also wanted to see what the OB had to say.
Log
AG
Go north for public. WY or MT. Drawing in NM is next to impossible for non-res (been trying for years), and CO you'll need at least a PP or two. They're overrun with them to the north, and there are typically plenty of leftover tags available should you not draw.

If you are willing to go private, that's another scenario.
Sean98
AG
Wyoming, Wyoming, Wyoming. More goats than you know what to do with.
RCR06
AG
Don't you need a guide or a resident to hunt with you in Wyoming if you are from out of state? I guess your buddy is a guide if you end up going with him.
PFG
AG
Don't need a guide in WY. Not the way we did it.

Here's my recommendation - start searching for and checking Chamber of Commerce websites for small-ish towns in WY. For many of those places, hunting is a big economic jolt. As a result, they will often publish contact information of local landowners that allow hunting. I know that sounds wild, as you'll never see that in Texas. But it does exist, and its how we found a place to hunt in WY.

Contacted a number of landowners by mail, phone call, e-mail. Found one that I felt best about. The unit was 100% draw odds because its nearly 100% private land. Paid the landowner a modest trespass fee and our group took a good buck and 2 does each. If I recall, doe tags were $35. Had a great time and can't wait to do it again. Do some searching for chamber of commerce sites in WY, or better yet - call around to some area F&G folks and ask the same question - how do I get a list of landowners in an area that allow hunting.

Tons of goats. It was a fun hunt.
schmellba99: Hard to believe people are looking at what is happening and thinking this is something other than a flu like bug
stdeb11
AG
Wyoming. I've never hunted, but driven around a fair amount and there's tons. You only need a guide/resident in WY to hunt Wilderness. So not required for antelope. Doe tags are cheap and I think it can be a fairly long season.

There are places in CO to go that don't require PP to draw. I did it this past year. It's not a ton of public land to roam and it's already crowded, but we did have opportunity and there should have been 2 down in our 4 man group.

If you're interested in more info, let me know and I can send you an email. Not quite sure I want to post the area I found online despite it's all just in the book.
TRIPLE 7
AG
Wyoming antelope Area 25 is good. Close to Casper!
Hodor
AG
Saving this for future reference!
RCR06
AG
Thanks for clearing that up! I didn't have the full story.
cplatt
Holler at me if you do get up here and if work slows happy to join as I'll be taking a speed goat this year too.
Arctic Ag
AG
Wyoming would be your best shot for pure numbers of antelope, loads of public land, and high probability of getting a tag. If you just want to shoot a goat, look at units on the eastern side of the state. Tons of stuff to chase after between Laramie and Gillette. Most of the big goats are either on private land or get shot opening day on public land, so plan your trip accordingly. If you are wanting quality meat, try and find public land near Ag operations (lots of beet farms and wheat), if you get one in the sage the flavor and odor is very strong.

Take good optics, lots of gas, and clothes that will keep you warm and dry. It gets windy out there. A gps with land ownership maps would be good too. Lots of BLM areas broken up amongst private land chunks.

Unless they changed the rules since I moved....non residents do not require a guide for antelope unless you are in a wilderness area. This is true for most species there as well.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.