Outdoors
Sponsored by

Recs on most quiet UTV Opinions/Facts

4,483 Views | 19 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by GrimesCoAg95
Gunny456
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I have a family member who has bad ears and has developed Hyperacusis, which is a sensitivity to sounds. He currently has a Yamaha Rhino but he has to wear hearing protection to be able and ride in it. He is looking to purchase a new UTV and wants one as quiet as possible. He has tried putting an aftermarket muffler on the Rhino but it is still loud. He does not want to go the battery route with a Bad Boy etc. Does anybody know of any data on the various manufacturers of UTV's in regards to actual decibels, or good factual opinions on who makes the most quiet model?
Many thanks for advice given.
harge57
AG
I would think they are all pretty similar and the only real quiet option would be the battery ones.

I bet he would be better off just modifying the exhaust of the current one he has. I know there are things people do to quiet generator noise. Maybe some similar things could be done to a utv.
BCStalk
Ranger EV isn't an option? Everything I've been on short of a road vehicles have been loud.
Kenneth_2003
AG
I'd try an automotive muffler. It'll take some fabrication to get it fitted in with the smaller tubulars on the UTV, but it'll get you away from the motorcycle stuff.
ag_pete09
AG
My wife's cousins put small car mufflers on their 4 wheelers. They're really quiet after install.
tlh3842
AG
If he has an issue bad enough to not be able to even stand a silencer type muffler on a regular utv yet can't deal with the battery utv route, I'd say he'll have to go custom fab to get an automotive type muffler for his rhino or just deal with the ear protection.
trip
AG
Noise canceling headphones?
Gunny456
AG
I guess I need to rephrase the question. The Yamaha Rhino and Viking are louder than a lot of other brands I have experienced riding in. I don't have an ear issue and they are loud to me as well. So which model/brand seem to be the most quiet to everyone?? His Rhino is getting up in age and he was just asking me which brand was the quietest now. I thought that some good Ags on the OB board could give us some answers on that.
halfbean
AG
Had a ranger and a rhino. We have a Mule Pro Fx now. It is a lot quieter.
aggolfer
AG
Most likely exhaust is not the issue. Alot of these sxs you are sitting right over the engine and belt. Those can be very noisy in the cab. I know my Yamaha Wolverine rspec is alot quieter than my neighbors can am.
HumbleAg04
AG
Try a Mule Pro. Mine is quieter than I expected.
SunrayAg
AG
Noise canceling headphones.
cadetjay02
AG
I would look at the ranger ev, as mentioned earlier. I've driven one and it's got plenty of juice and the only noise is the tires on the ground.
FullDraw
AG
Not lab tested but the Hondas for decades has always been the quietest ATV's, motorcycles. A more subdued type of exhaust sound as well.
rwv2055
AG
Option 1 Put a turbo on it.
Option 2 Ls swap.
Option 3 put turbos on the Ls, then swap.
SabineAg
AG
Supposedly the electric Polaris is pretty legit
sodycracker
AG
I've owned a 2018 Can Am for about 3 months now. I test drove Polaris, Kawasaki, Yamaha, & Bobcat before buying my Can Am.

Not only did it perform better than the others, but it was the quietest machine I drove.
LSB_2002
AG
Rode in the 72V Arctic Cat this weekend. That sucker is fast and seems to be able to go places a regular golf cart/electric cart wouldn't be able to go.

Not sure what activities he does with his UTV, but this might be a viable option. Lots of power in this little rig!
Gunny456
AG
Thank you to all who replied....I much appreciate it. I have passed on all the information. He went yesterday and looked at a Mule Pro FX and a John Deere. Today he is to test drive a Kabota and Polaris 1000 I believe. Again thanks to all for the input. Gig em.
driver9050
Check out the 4x4 conversions for golf carts. It won't go through as much as a side-by-side, but they're a fraction of the cost. I've been thinking about getting one to drive around my neighborhood and hunting lease.

GrimesCoAg95
AG
I bought a Mule FXT. Here is a review about the machine. According to the review the engine is more like an automotive engine. The Gator 825i is a similar engine. I am not sure if that would make it easier to modify though.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.