Outdoors
Sponsored by

Garden time in Houston

1,837 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Build It
Build It
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Turned the garden over today. Lots of worms. Top dressing with some compost manure and organic raised bed soil. I'll plant next weekend. Lots of plants around but I wish I would have started tomato's from seed. Planning on 4-5 varieties of tomato, 2 variety cucumber, a bean pole with a few different pole varieties.

Fresh maters coming soon!
bedofbrass33
AG
You aren't worried about one more freeze even in Houston?
BrazosDog02
AG
Now is the perfect time to ruin 60 bucks of plants if you put them in now.

March 15. Be patient.
jakeaggie84
AG
Any tips for growing peppers in pots? I tried last year and I got a couple of tiny funny looking green peppers. Want to try again this year. I've heard eggshells help peppers. I've saved about 2dozen or so to try.
76Ag
AG
Put tomatoes and peppers in the ground this afternoon. I hope there are no more freezes.
Well we might as well give up and run
If we let 'm take our God and guns.
SoulSlaveAG2005
AG
76Ag said:

Put tomatoes and peppers in the ground this afternoon. I hope there are no more freezes.

Watch the forecast. If a freeze is coming or predicted, put some empty flower pots or 5 gallon buckets upside down and over them. In come cases just draping an old sheet over them works too. Anything to help insulate and trap ground heat and provide a freeze barrier. They should be fine.
malenurse
AG
Can't till the garden yet. I'm still growing broccoli like crazy.
The last thing I want to do is hurt you. But, it's still on the list.
Post removed:
by user
76Ag
AG
I am very familiar with covering plants against a freeze. My wife was a horticulture major and we have quite a few plants. February has always seemed to be out worst weather month.
Well we might as well give up and run
If we let 'm take our God and guns.
OnlyForNow
AG
Anit no freezes left this year.
zooguy96
Sheets or pots upside down work.

Our last freeze date here is April 15, although I usually wait until May 1 to be safe and start plants indoors.
I know a lot about a little, and a little about a lot.
oklaunion
If you have to cover several plants with the same protective sheet in the event of cold weather, one of the disposable hand warmers thrown underneath before bedtime helps give off enough heat to help survival.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
jayelbee said:

I put some herbs in the ground last weekend and then had to dig them up and move them because my selected location didn't get near as much sun as I thought it would.

I plan to do some other stuff in a few weeks also. Are there any veggies/fruits that do well in partial sun that I can put in the area that I just moved the herbs from?
Heard on the garden show this past saturday that any plant that flowers (tomatoes, squash, cucumbers) need full sun. Veggies that don't flower need less sun, so try to think in that direction.
PipelinerTP
AG
Planted 3rd week in March (2) years in Houston...barely missed the last frost both times.
AgySkeet06
AG
malenurse said:

Can't till the garden yet. I'm still growing broccoli like crazy.
Dude no kidding, I have Brocollini and regular brocolli going strong

Also read online where you can replant the the sliver of cut root off store bought green onion. Needless to say I dont think I'll ever need to buy green onions again...
Build It
AG
If you are looking for plants the Harris County Master Gardeners Association is having a sale this Saturday. Lots of varieties you'll not find easily anywhere else.

http://hcmga.tamu.edu/Public/docs/2018-hcmga-p2-fruit-tree-sale-catalog-flyer.pdf

It's not too early. Those Master Gardeners know a thing or 2.

I'm also picking up some blackberry. Not sure where to put them yet.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.