Outdoors
Sponsored by

***2018 OB Fitness Goals Thread***

35,673 Views | 452 Replies | Last: 5 yr ago by BreNayPop
CTGilley
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
We updated the sheet from last year. Please enter your new information or join up by entering you information.

We plan to do a little work to the sheet but I need a little time. I will wait until Sunday night before deleting anyone that has not entered information.
I just deleted everyone without numbers in. That was a dumb thought it just created more work. Those of you gaining I will fix the formulas to work for you also at some point.

TexAgs OB Fitness Sheet

Finn Maccumhail
AG
In.

I has the mega fats.

I'm 6'3" and this is me back on 4/22/2017. I know the date because we took the boys to the A&M-UT baseball series and this was Saturday morning. I'm right at 390 in this pic.

About 2 months after that I finally decided to get serious on getting to a reasonable weight, which for me is probably 270. This pic was before the New Mexico game and I was down to 349. I'm pretty sure I gained some back over the holidays but not so much that I don't fit into the new pants I had to buy after dropping 40#. I still have a long way to go but will get there.

This pic is from 2000, the summer after I graduated from A&M and I'm about 290 in this picture. My goal is to be about 15# lighter than this.

Ol Jock 99
AG
In. 2017 was a good year for me health wise. I hit my all time high of 278, but lost 30 over the course of the year through healthy eating (much less beer ) and Camp Gladiator. I put back on a little with the Holidays, but am now hitting it harder. I'd like to get down to 240 and see what that's like. I'll be 41 in February and in the best shape since college. If I can do it, so can you!

(First day of CG in 2016, right before TGiving 2017)
Greenchiles
AG
I always like seeing these kind of posts with real results. Finding the key to what works for you and your body while balancing life is difficult for most. Very inspiring.

Keep up the great work!
reddog90
AG
Congrats to both of you guys, very impressive.

I want to cut about 5% body fat and then bulk to at least 190 with specific lift #s in mind. No beer & wine during the week and clean eating on the weekends is my biggest hurdle.
MouthBQ98
AG
My goal is that last 5 lb between abs and no abs. I'm close at 171.5. If I can add a couple pounds of muscle and trim to about 168 I will be doing well.

Abs are made in the kitchen, not the gym.

Plan your meals for the entire week. Then stick to the plan. Give yourself a bit of margin, but not planning to fail, rather to mitigate the unexpected.

Processed carbs are the ENEMY. No bread, no pasta, no cookies, no cakes, no cokes, very minimal alcohol, no biscuits or pancakes or tortillas. Throw all that crap out, and don't buy more. Eat your burgers bunless. Make your sandwiches chopped salads instead.
MouthBQ98
AG
And on the other hand, it's almost impossible to eat too much of good food that hasn't been processed. Vegetables, lean meats, fruit in moderation. Some seeds and nuts. You can pig out on green vegetables until you are sick of them and lose weight.
Finn Maccumhail
AG
reddog90 said:

Congrats to both of you guys, very impressive.

I want to cut about 5% body fat and then bulk to at least 190 with specific lift #s in mind. No beer & wine during the week and clean eating on the weekends is my biggest hurdle.

I've got a ways to go. I'll always be a big dude, that's just a fact. This pic is my freshman year at Rice when I played at about 305. But 8 knee surgeries over the years and a desk job along with the fact that food = love in my family and things add up over the years.

But with two young boys and a shared love of doing stuff outdoors I owe it to them, Mrs. Finn, and myself to get healthy.

To quote a friend of mine, "I'm not trying to look good, I just don't want to look bad."

reddog90
AG
Do you count calories/macros or just eat whatever you want as long as it's clean? What's your height?
Ol Jock 99
AG
reddog90 said:

Do you count calories/macros or just eat whatever you want as long as it's clean? What's your height?
Not BQ, but I didn't count crap. I just largely (but not completely) cut out carbs and sweets. Bacon and eggs, lots of meats, lots of fresh veggies, olive oil and butter galore. I still cook pancakes most Saturday's, but don't put syrup on them.

I'm 6'6".
BlueSmoke
Quote:

And on the other hand, it's almost impossible to eat too much of good food that hasn't been processed. Vegetables, lean meats, fruit in moderation. Some seeds and nuts. You can pig out on green vegetables until you are sick of them and lose weight.

This

Think of it this way. Your body can produce energy in one of two ways: glucose and ketones (fat). As long as you are providing glucose, all the stored energy (fat reserves in the body) goes unused. We are all hard-wired to covet calorie dense options. Forcing the body to direct itself inward and call upon these reserves (fuel) is 100% diet.

Basically, Atkins was right all along. Now you aren't sucking down five hamburger patties for lunch, but the pseudo-paleo version of lean meats, raw veggies, and fats (oils, nuts, butter, etc.) spaced out as many smaller meals over the course is the day is a proven system that works.

Simple. Not easy. Meal prep helps. Pre-cook. Read labels. Know what you can and can't eat. Keep your blood-sugar levels in check with multiple smaller meals so your cravings are down.

Also look at entry-level intermittent fasting. Eat in the AM, then cut yourself off at 4-5PM. Then nothing but water. Do this a few times a week. Helps.

Combine this with a fitness routine focused on multiple compound-movement exercises, and you are on the path.
Nobody cares. Work Harder
reddog90
AG
Ol Jock 99 said:

reddog90 said:

Not BQ, but I didn't count crap. I just largely (but not completely) cut out carbs and sweets. Bacon and eggs, lots of meats, lots of fresh veggies, olive oil and butter galore. I still cook pancakes most Saturday's, but don't put syrup on them.

I'm 6'6".
I wish I could get results like that. I have seen more progress for myself by setting macro goals and working within them. I eat healthy carbs as well. I get burnt out counting *****
SWCBonfire
AG
I added in the resolution thread that I wanted to own more cows than I weighed in pounds at some point in 2018... I am 6'-6", 390 right now. Either I find some more lease country or start doing a Whole 30 (both likely).

I can eat my weight in meat and vegetables. Doesn't make you lose weight per se, but it certainly keeps you hydrated and regular, which gets you to lose some weight I guess. Bottom line s that Solidworks and an office chair has been quite detrimental to my health, and the best way to get rid of that is to build a few miles of fence and trench & form up a few concrete slabs.
Kuz89
AG
I'm in this year. I need something to keep me honest.
saltydog13
AG
My goal is to get to 200lbs. Sitting at about 5'10" and 160 right now.
Kuz89
AG
saltydog09 said:

My goal is to get to 200lbs. Sitting at about 5'10" and 160 right now.
Que the "That's not how this works" meme. Oh to be 30 again....
ironmanag
AG
I am working on the elusive 195 mark.

sitting at 217 down from 235. Was as low as 209 but holidays killed me.

Working in more weight lifting is another goal.
According to the Biden White House, what Joe Biden says does not represent the official position of the Biden administration.
saltydog13
AG
Always been a beanpole and would like to finally bulk up but still be able to run somewhat without keeling over
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
In.
Here we go!
Started at 253-254 looking to get to 230ish.
But more importantly I really want to lose some inches in my torso, drop my Blood Pressure some and lower my Cholesterol again, this time below 200.
Also ready to hang up belt #3 like a trophy.
EDIT: I basically following Macroholics diet without the Crossfit that many of them do that are on it.
Kuz89
AG
Not sure where you wanted to insert new entries so I will just post details here.

Height of 5'9" should put my goal at under 200 but body type / age set a realistic target of 230. I got to 225 for a couple weeks about 6-7 years ago when I was running 5 miles a day and that was a push. Bad knees and ankles limit high impact exercise so diet will be my main route. I had limited success with low-carb last year so I'm working to tweak the low-carb and add as much low impact exercise as possible.

Edit: Currently at 260, the last 3 months of 2017 was not good for me.
Kuz89
AG
saltydog09 said:

Always been a beanpole and would like to finally bulk up but still be able to run somewhat without keeping over
We've all got our drawbacks, good luck to you!
CTGilley
AG
BlueSmoke said:

Quote:

This

Think of it this way. Your body can produce energy in one of two ways: glucose and ketones (fat). As long as you are providing glucose, all the stored energy (fat reserves in the body) goes unused. We are all hard-wired to covet calorie dense options. Forcing the body to direct itself inward and call upon these reserves (fuel) is 100% diet.

Basically, Atkins was right all along. Now you aren't sucking down five hamburger patties for lunch, but the pseudo-paleo version of lean meats, raw veggies, and fats (oils, nuts, butter, etc.) spaced out as many smaller meals over the course is the day is a proven system that works.

Simple. Not easy. Meal prep helps. Pre-cook. Read labels. Know what you can and can't eat. Keep your blood-sugar levels in check with multiple smaller meals so your cravings are down.

Also look at entry-level intermittent fasting. Eat in the AM, then cut yourself off at 4-5PM. Then nothing but water. Do this a few times a week. Helps.

Combine this with a fitness routine focused on multiple compound-movement exercises, and you are on the path.
I agree. I was having a hard time figuring out who to reply to. I fall off the wagon from time to time but when I follow this type of routine I get stupid results. My problem has often been not eating enough. There is a good book I have some where. Body Rx. I don't 100% agree with it because of some of the things we know now but it is a very good guide.
reddog90
AG
How do you guys see consistent results without counting calories or macros? I am basically trying to cut 8 lb of fat and gain 15 lb of muscle this year. From my little knowledge, I need to eat a calorie deficit (cut) or surplus (bulk) and I should hit at least a minimum protein and fat macro number plus carbs (and all should be healthy foods). How do you guys get anywhere without knowing what your TDEE and macros are? I could understand seeing good results if someone is very overweight, not exercising and eating crappy food, and they suddenly start eating healthy and exercising.
Ol Jock 99
AG

Quote:

I could understand seeing good results if someone is very overweight, not exercising and eating crappy food, and they suddenly start eating healthy and exercising.
There you go. I was drinking a lot of good dark beer, enjoying ice cream, potato chips, and not exercising. I fully anticipate that going from 250 to 235-240 will be harder than going from 280 to 250.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Bounced around between 190 and 195 most of last year. Want to get down to 180 this year and get back in the weight room more consistently
MouthBQ98
AG
I'm 5'9" and about 171 or so right now. I work out an hour about 6 times a week, weights and cardio (a special crossfit program). I used to calorie count some on the zone diet but after I got an idea of how my body reacted to different foods and amounts, I was able to go by feel. I don't have the cleanest diet all the time but I haven't gone over 174 on any measurement in over a year. I once weighed as much as 217. Keep in mind not only do carbs keep you from using body fat, they also seem to cause your body to retain water needed to process them.

I weigh every morning under the same conditions (basically hop on the scale before I shower or eat, buck naked so no variance for clothing), so I can keep track of my trends.
BurrOak
AG
I need to jump into this.

I'm up to 280 now, heaviest I've ever been. I'll likely will be doing a DIY Colorado hunt this fall, so I'd like to get back down to 235 by then. My diet has been pretty terrible. I mainly sit at a desk working on Autocad Civil 3D every day. I haven't worked out in forever, and I drink way too much. I have a gym setup in my garage that's just been collecting dust. Time for a change. I'm tired a being a fat ass.
TwoMarksHand
AG
I dropped from 245ish to 220ish last year by eating better and drinking only water.

I'm interested to see if I would drop some more by switching from Shiner to whisky.

Anyone else had luck switching from beer to liquor?
TommyGun
AG
reddog90 said:

How do you guys see consistent results without counting calories or macros? I am basically trying to cut 8 lb of fat and gain 15 lb of muscle this year. From my little knowledge, I need to eat a calorie deficit (cut) or surplus (bulk) and I should hit at least a minimum protein and fat macro number plus carbs (and all should be healthy foods). How do you guys get anywhere without knowing what your TDEE and macros are? I could understand seeing good results if someone is very overweight, not exercising and eating crappy food, and they suddenly start eating healthy and exercising.

Putting on 15 lbs of lean muscle is no walk in the park. The problem you will run into is that you can't gain muscle without gaining fat and you can't lose fat without losing a bit of muscle. Your best bet is to go on a protein heavy surplus diet and start to gain at a rate of .5-1 lb a week. Keep in mind you need to be lifting heavy during this time and allowing enough recovery for your body to build new muscle. As you get closer to your goals you should start to work back the carbs and incorporate more cardio or HIIT exercises into your routine in order to work off any excess fat that came along during your "bulking" cycle. There is no secret formula outside of steroids that allows you to build new muscle and lose fat at the same time. Starting Strength is a good place to go to for advice around lifting and eating. Try to get at least 200g of protein and moderate your carbs and fats to balance out your calorie target.
reddog90
AG
Yeah I know, it's gonna be a *****. I was going to cut first because I'm sitting at 19% body fat and I'm not happy with how I look in the mirror. I figured I'd cut to about 15% and then bulk and expect to be back up a little higher % than that. I'm eating 180p, 110f and 110c right now which is about a 10% deficit of my TDEE. I lift heavy compound barbell movements 3x/week with some accessory work 1x/week. You think I should skip cutting now?
TommyGun
AG
reddog90 said:

Yeah I know, it's gonna be a *****. I was going to cut first because I'm sitting at 19% body fat and I'm not happy with how I look in the mirror. I figured I'd cut to about 15% and then bulk and expect to be back up a little higher % than that. I'm eating 180p, 110f and 110c right now which is about a 10% deficit of my TDEE. I lift heavy compound barbell movements 3x/week with some accessory work 1x/week. You think I should skip cutting now?

I'll give you my scenario and maybe it'll help. Go back to September and I was sitting at 6'2" and 205lbs with about 15-17% body fat. I go on a bulking cycle up through the holidays and work my weight up to 218. My body fat percentage only went up 1-2% after putting on almost 15lbs. Now I'm working back the calories and just in a maintenance phase on my lifts (which also went up by 30-50% on all major compound lifts). I'll probably settle out at 210 or so and get my body fat percentage under my previous level.

In the mirror I've got a bigger chest and much larger legs than I did in September, but it also came with a little bit extra around the middle. Give me a few weeks to work on that and I'll be pretty happy, overall.
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
I am no expert, but I will offer these tips from a 51 year old trying to get healthier.
Before you start.
Take measurements in places that are permanent on your body - i.e. mine are labeled like neck, nips, chest, button, belt, butt. Hell, I even measured around my top lip under my ears on my fat head before I started.
Also remember if you are pulling the tape - tight, snug or loose. Then stick with it.
Try to get some blood work to see what really needs to be worked on.
Take a few pictures before you start, even if you hate them.
Remember muscle weighs more than fat, so the scale is not king.
I have benefited from using myfitnesspal to log my food - at least at the start to see how much you are eating today.
My current diet - I am eating my Weight x 8 Calories with a balance of 30-35% Protein, 30% Carbs, 30-35% Fat. It seems to work for me.
Beckdiesel03
AG
In. I did great last spring and then fell off the wagon with summer vacations and being home with kids. Got back on track only to fall and break my foot. Just got released to do exercise in late December. I'm so slow from 3 months of nothing. I'm at 148 and want to get down to 130. It's been terrible trying to get back in the groove of things. Boot camp starts next week. I just might die.
MouthBQ98
AG
Unfortunately, much of the caloric content are fermented carbohydrates in any booze.
Wizard
5'10" and 167lbs.

My 2018 goal is to get to a lean 175lbs. That means cleaner but more eating, more cardio, but still plenty of lifting.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.