Outdoors
Sponsored by

How quickly will ducks find new water?

1,845 Views | 6 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by CS78
agincs93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I have a wetlands type area that borders a creek on low flatland, about a 3/4 mile stretch. During floods or heavy rains the creek will usually spill over and water will stand in the area 3-6 inches deep.

Snipe are common in the area during rains. I've also killed a snow goose down there and have seen a few mallards and other random ducks a handful of times throughout the winters.

Plants in the area consist of bermudagrass, water pepper smartweed and knotroot bristlegrass among some other stuff that's unknown to me.

My question is would it be worth closing off a few areas and pumping areas full of water? Is it too late in the year?

Not trying to kill a limit or anything just wanted to see if holding water would attract a few ducks. Maybe hunt there later in January.

Not an experienced waterfowler so this is new to me. Do ducks find new water relatively quickly?

Thank you
agincs93
http://i66.tinypic.com/14nk7f4.jpg
http://i66.tinypic.com/f2pnh0.jpg
Slayer17
AG
We have a similar situation on our family land. After heavier rains the water stays anywhere from 5-10 days. We usually can get a solid hunt or two in before the water recedes. I would think you could have ducks within a week or two, definitely worth looking into.
water turkey
Ducks find new water and new food quick. Lots of seeds for them in that pasture.
LewisChilds
AG
My brother had a place in Washington county. It had a 1/2 acre low spot below an acre bass pond. Every year he usually planted something in the low spot (millet, corn, oats, dove mix), then flood it later up to 12-18 inches of water. The food source never seemed to make much a difference but he'd get ducks on it most of the season. Definitely a one man limit and some mornings we could get two.
agincs93
Thank y'all for the advice. Hopefully it works out
jrbaggie
Fill it and they will come.
CS78
Had a private pond I used to have access to on the Brazos. It had been dry and we were getting a good rain so I went out to check and see if it had water. Rain was still falling pretty hard and it was mid day. I walked up to find it just barely staring to pool, turned around to walk back and spotted a single mallard drake 300 yards out, coming straight at me, got hidden, shot him as he dropped straight in without circling. Proceeded to sit there in the rain and finish a limit over the next couple hours. When I left, there was 4-5" of water across a 40 yard hole. It doesn't take long.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.