Outdoors
Sponsored by

Cubans in Mexico

1,957 Views | 8 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by Furlock Bones
cr
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Going in a week. Can I get authentic Cuban cigars there? Where?

Are they more available now that you can bring them back?
helloag99
I bought one there in 1995 and brought it back

There are shops all over tourist areas in the Yucatn
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
You'll need to go to a legitimate cigar store.... I'd plan ahead and find one where you are going and read reviews. There are places selling "Cubans" everywhere, but buyer beware, there are a crazy number of fakes out there. As is always the case in Mexico, bartering prices with the street vendors is how it's done and when they start talking prices that are lower than you can buy legit cubans for, it's pretty obvious they have fakes.
Owner of Texian Firearms:
Dealer in Firearms, Optics, Night Vision and other shooting accessories.
US importer/distributor of Rudolph Optics
Supporting bad financial decisions since 2015
expresswrittenconsent
Bartering with street vendors is how you get weed and cheap souvenirs. Not a great plan if looking for quality cigars.
TheEyeGuy
Sponsor
AG
expresswrittenconsent said:

Bartering with street vendors is how you get weed and cheap souvenirs. Not a great plan if looking for quality cigars.
Want to clarify, I was saying that bartering is what you do with street vendors and it's obvious they are selling fakes when the prices end up drastically lower than the ones in the legitimate shops. I'd have to look, but if you want cubans, there's a shop in Grand Cayman that will ship them to you here in the states.
Owner of Texian Firearms:
Dealer in Firearms, Optics, Night Vision and other shooting accessories.
US importer/distributor of Rudolph Optics
Supporting bad financial decisions since 2015
expresswrittenconsent
Yeah, my bad. That makes sense.
longeryak
Don't buy any Cuban Cohibas. They can't even keep up with demand for authorized outlets.

General rule of thumb is any awesome deal in a 'loosely regulated' country has a 99% chance of being a fake product.
RCR06
AG
My parents go on a cruise once a year. About 7 or 8 years ago my mom asks if I want her to bring me some Cuban cigars. I say sure, but buy them at your last stop and make sure to get them from a cigar shop. I give her some brands to look for and she gets me several awesome cigars. The next year I say not to worry about it because of their itinerary and where the last stop was. She goes rogue on me and buys two obviously fake Cohibas. $5 a piece so it wasnt much of a loss. Now she just buys me booze..
Agfencer98
AG
Where in Mexico are you going? If Cozumel, go to Casa de Habano above Fat Tuesday. Authentic Cubans there, and the only place I know of in Cozumel to be certain you are actually buying Cubans. You pay a bit more, but it's a better smoke for sure. Beyond that, I have no knowledge.
Furlock Bones
AG
follow what others have said. buy at a legit shop. everything else will be fake.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.