Outdoors
Sponsored by

Pieces of Kit you can't live without

4,335 Views | 38 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by AgEng06
ldg397
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I got to thinking about updating some of my hunting gear which I try to do every year about this time to catch the clearance sales etc. I was thinking about my favorite gear and what if there is some great piece of gear I don't even know about. So here goes list your top 5ish pieces of gear you couldn't live without.

1. Swarovski SLC 10x42 binos w/ Rick Young bino harness.
2. First lite underwear and long johns and overall how much better I like merino wool over anything Under Armour.
3. Sure fire P2X Fury
4. Havalon knife
5a. Jim shockey primos trigger sticks
5b. My Canadian goose fleece lined wool beanie in hunter orange.
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
6. Charmin Ultra
Sean98
AG
I think you meant wet wipes
LewisChilds
AG
I have an Army issue fleece cap that is a must have for any cold weather hunting.
Poeag
AG
Sean98 said:

I don't know if wet wipes would be the best thing in Idaho.
Qfaced~ag
AG
Petzl Tikka head lamp
Sean98
AG
Just keep 'em in a small zip loc in an inner pocket and they stay plenty un-frozen.

They're multi-purpose. Cleaning up butts, bloody hands, greasy faces, you name it (but not multi-use, so don't use the same one for butt then face).
ursusguy
AG
Yep I would paid a premium for them in that damned Kansas wheat stubble.

I had a metric butt load of them in Colorado. All three of us made a conscious effort to pack a daily supply in a manner not to freeze. We did it mainly to avoid passing around any stomach crud.....and avoid frozen swamp a--. In the end, there is still a sacrificed leather glove.

So yep, TP and off brand wet wipes.
Sean98
AG
Back to the OP's real question, I have a lot of gear that I like, but my favorite recent upgrades would be (in no particular order)

1) better pants. No cotton. SKRE, Sylo, etc. Much better built, thigh zips, well placed pockets, etc. I found those on Camofire for around $65-75 versus the $120-170 MSRP.

2) Wind proof layers. Whether it be synthetic camo shells like Sitka, or more solid color hiking-type gear like Mammut, Prana, etc. You can get some good mid-layer alpine gear on Steep & Cheap, etc.

3) Hoodie base/mid-layers. Merino hoodie base-layers like my Black Ovis gear, or grid mapped mid-layers like the Sitka heavy-weight hoodie. Put a synthetic shell over the top of them and you've got a lightweight combo that really holds up in most weather situations.
NRH ag 10
AG
Air dry them, rehydrate as needed.
AggieMPH2005
My smart wool neck gaiter and beanie are great for layering. I don't hunt without them once November rolls around. Also a headlamp is a must. I use a black diamond but any would work.
LRHF
AG
Fire starter- waterproof matches, cheap lighter and light flammable material (paper wrapped in paraffin)

Map and compass. Iodine tablets, MSR water bag.
BradMtn346
A multiplier tool. My favorite is an old Gerber because I can open it quickly with one hand. 90% of household things can be fixed with just this.
JSKolache
AG
Haven't found it yet - I swap a few things every year!

Only made it out during bow season this year and it was ballzhot, so now I want lightweight pants - gotta check the end of year sales coming up....
arrow
AG
My number one matches yours, the 10x42 SLCs.

Of the new pieces of gear/camo I tried this year, my favorite was the Sitka Fanatic Vest. Perfect for bowhunting from a tree stand.
agwrangler2001
AG
ldg397 said:

THERMA CELL
For early season, this is my number 1.
Sean98
AG
agwrangler2001 said:

ldg397 said:

THERMA CELL
Oh HELL yes.
VanZandt92
Sean98 said:

Always have wondered what my ancestors who were long hunters in NC used on those weeks long trips.
ursusguy
AG
Cattails and corn cobs.
Apache
AG
I'll go ahead and say it: I hate the term "kit" when referring to gear. Too British.

Kit should only refer to collections of gear: first aid, snake bit, emergency, etc.

I'm getting old. Off to yell at clouds. Carry on you Anglophiles.
rather be fishing
AG
Sean98 said:

smooth rocks.
WC87
AG
Headlamp - I have a couple of the Primos Top Gun and really like them.
Binos and harness
Skull cap
Good base layer
Outdoor Edge Razor Blaze and Flip n Blaze
2 pair latex gloves

The rest varies on season (calls, ammo, etc)
ldg397
AG
agwrangler2001 said:

ldg397 said:

THERMA CELL

I do most of my deer hunting in northern Missouri so I have a therma cell I got about 5 years ago and it is still in the package. Not many mosquitos when it is 6 degrees in November

Someone else posted the multitool. I have an old leatherman super tool the original one. I have had that thing for almost 20 years. Works great.

I haven't tried the head lamp always used my surefire on a neck lanyard. I might ha e to take a look at the petzl lamps.
Puryear Playboy
AG
Stuff comes and goes in my shoulder bag that goes hunting with me, but one that never changes is the pair of collapsible shooting sticks that hang in their pouch on the bags strap.

Those things have supported my rifles on three continents to kill so many things I literally can't count them all. Best shooting aid ever.
AgEng06
AG
Speaking of multi-tools.... I'd like to get one for Christmas, so what is the best/most preferred brand? I know Leatherman is the "name brand" but is there another that I should look at? Budget isn't really an issue.
WC87
AG
Quote:

I haven't tried the head lamp
Headlamp is a game changer. Try it.
Rebar
AG
AgEng06 said:

Budget isn't really an issue.
Well then...

World's best multi-tool
[url=https://www.amazon.com/Wenger-16999-Swiss-Knife-Giant/dp/B001DZTJRQ/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_bdcrb_top?ie=UTF8][/url]
Reviews
AgEng06
AG
Haha, fair enough.

Mayyybe a little cheaper than that, and easier to carry.
LoudestWHOOP!
AG
AgEng06 said:

Speaking of multi-tools.... I'd like to get one for Christmas, so what is the best/most preferred brand? I know Leatherman is the "name brand" but is there another that I should look at? Budget isn't really an issue.
What I like in a multitool: YMMV
Knife blade or 2
Metal file
Saw
Needle nose pliers
Full sized P2 Phillips head
Can opener - because knife blades aren't supposed to be your can opener
Scissors (if available)

Leatherman Rebar (no Scissors) Bigger tool

Leatherman Juice S2 - what I EDC - Rounded pocketable smaller tool
Jason Ag
AG
I have the leatherman rebar like mentioned above. Bought a black leather sheath on Amazon. Use it pretty much every day. I particularly like that it has two options for a flat screw driver, the larger being pretty strong and great for prying. No more broken blades!
V8Aggie
AG
Sean98 said:

Just keep 'em in a small zip loc in an inner pocket and they stay plenty un-frozen.

They're multi-purpose. Cleaning up butts, bloody hands, greasy faeces, you name it (but not multi-use, so don't use the same one for butt then face).
FIFY
Jason Ag
AG
V8Aggie said:

Sean98 said:

They're multi-purpose. Cleaning up butts, bloody hands, greasy faeces, you name it (but not multi-use, so don't use the same one for butt then face).
FIFY

I'm never drinking V8 again.
EVA3
AG
Filson Merino wool socks
RK
AG
Quote:

but not multi-use, so don't use the same one for butt then face
based on what I have seen in some artistic online informational videos, you can go face to butt, but generally not butt to face.
TexasAggie_02
AG
Milwaukees Best Light said:

6. Charmin Ultra
a friend of mine from the PNW calls it "mountain money"
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.