Outdoors
Sponsored by

Entry level kayaks

1,762 Views | 14 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by angryocotillo
mrsbeer05
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I am thinking of maybe getting the husband a kayak for Xmas. Can I get something descent for $200-300? If so where should I go?

Warning for husband who rarely visits this board- if I find out you've been reading this you will not get a kayak... So keep me in the dark
Milwaukees Best Light
AG
No. Not really anything new that is decent. Up the budget a little bit and you can get the 12 footer Preception Pescador from academy which is a decent boat, but you still need paddles and accessories. Sorry.

Edit to add that 300$ will get you something decent used, but not new.
MouthBQ98
AG
Fishing or just paddling?
VanZandt92
What kind of kayak and where? Like category
mrsbeer05
AG
VanZandt92 said:

What kind of kayak and where? Like category

Just for him to paddle around Clear Creek (Friendswood/league City/Clear Lake) area

I'm okay with upping the budget if need be.
DatTallArchitect
AG
If just paddling, there are some decent entry level 8 footers in your range. If he will be fishing, he will need a bigger boat (i.e. more expensive)
Ragoo
AG
Longer is better for tracking. Short boats have a lot of wasted effort in open water.
CharlieBrown17
AG
Even if he's not fishing I'd go with at least a 10'. 12' is really the sweet spot for me though, still short to take into rivers fairly easily and long enough to handle big water well.

Also be aware that 2/3 of the listed weight capacity of a yak is about where you want to be at most, if your husband is a bigger guy the pescador won't be the most comfortable option for him.
mrsbeer05
AG
Thanks. He is definitely not going be fishing. But I can see our almost 5 year old wanting to go with him from time to time. What is a good 10-12' starter kayak?
CharlieBrown17
AG
I'm a big fan of the pescador mentioned previously
BMach
AG
I just got a perception Stryker a few months ago for $475 at dicks sporting goods. Very happy with it. Extremely stable, enough so that you can stand in it.
redass1876
AG
Pescador can be found for $400 at Academy at time... definitely your best "budget" option
MouthBQ98
AG
If you are just paddling lakes and streams, and not fishing, the sit-in boats may be a better option. They are actually more stable and easier to paddle through the water, and can be less expensive. You might take a look at the Old Town Vapor series. I have a Loon 100 that is an older sit in boat from Old Town, and it is my favorite kayak to paddle in lakes and ponds and slower streams. I even modified it for fishing eventually, but it's primarily a touring kayak.

There are a lot of decent boats in the $300-$400 range, anything that is rotomold or otherwise one piece construction should be acceptable. The ideal general size range is 10-12 feet, with 10 feet being more practical to car-top or toss in a truck bed.

Keep in mind you'll also need at minimum a paddle and a PFD to go with it. Paddles can be cheap, but any serious paddler quickly finds a lightweight fiberglass and/or carbon fiber paddle is worth the cost. The difference between working a 40oz aluminum and plastic paddle and a 20oz carbon fiber paddle is huge after a few thousand strokes of paddling. You can get a basic carbon fiber shaft paddle with fiberglass blades for around $100 that will be 25oz or so. Most male paddlers use a 230-240cm paddle, some shorter persons might go to 220 or even 210.
MouthBQ98
AG
To be completely honest, it is often best to get someone a "gift certificate" to buy a kayak, then go let them try sitting in a few. People seems to have different preferences for seating and leg position, etc.
Dirty-8-thirty Ag
AG
Own a Perception Sport Pescador 12' and an Old Town Vapor Angler 10'. Pretty much only use my yak on the two river trips per year my buddies from HS and and one random South African started doing a few years ago.

The sit in Old Town is definitely my favorite boat, by a long shot. Cheaper than the pescador too. Got my local academy to price match with ACK and out the door my boat was $330. It has held up better to the rough limestone rivers in SW and Central Texas whereas the pescador drug holes in the bottom on the Pecos.
angryocotillo
AG
Look for a pescador on Craigslist. 10' is ok. 12' is great
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.