Outdoors
Sponsored by

Joshua Creek Hunt

2,497 Views | 18 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by AgLA06
TAMU77CLAY
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Got invited as a "fill in" to Joshua Creek by a friend of mine on a corporate hunt next week. No brainer ,

accepted the free hunt but want to know what to expect. Mixed upland 2 day hunt over their dogs and lodging.

Anybody been there and have tips?
AgsMnn
AG
Enjoy the free weekend.

Like someone said on the fishing post, you won't shoot anything on the couch.

And it beats sitting on the couch to by yourself.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
Amazing amenities and great hunting!
Finn Maccumhail
AG
Tip?

Shoot well enough that you don't embarrass yourself but not so well that you embarrass your host.
powerbelly
AG
Tip:

Don't shoot their dogs
RCR06
AG
Barrels up!
Bradley.Kohr.II
AG
According to a friend, the food is good
Doc Hayworth
I've gone there twice, probably won't again. I lose interest when you have to kick birds to get them to fly and while you sit around the fire pit, a lot of the surviving quail and chuckar walk right by you headed to their pens. I found out that type of hunting or "shooting" is not my thing.
The food is excellent.
DuckDown2013
AG
Great amenities and food. Try and get a round of sporting clays in if you're able.
NW80
AG
They're pen raised birds.
Don't shoot too quick, they don't fly like wild birds.
fairviewcrew
I've hunted at Joshua Creek several times.... never once had to kick a bird to get up. So while they don't fly like wild birds, i fee like it's pretty darn good hunting for pen raised.

Lodging, food, scenery is all top notch
PANHANDLE10
I don't know anything about Joshua Creek specifically, but I've spent a lot of time around pen-raised birds. A flushing dog will dramatically improve the experience. I doubt you get to choose what guide you go with, but if you do ask for one that uses a flusher.

TAMU77CLAY
AG
great info. tempering my expectations.
NW80
AG
You're a guest ( and a "fill-in").
Don't ask for anything except an opportunity to let the host shoot more!
5aggiesNSA
I just returned from a two day hunt there. The amenities are great and hunt as well! I have had the pleasure of hunting there several times in three years. Our guides have always had flusher dogs along with pointers / retrievers.

Tip:
Wear comfortable hunting boots & quality socks. There will be a lot of walking!! Best of luck...

and yes, DONT SHOOT THE DOGS!
AgLA06
AG
I feel like I'm missing an inside joke here. I googled "guide shoots hunter that shot dog at Joshua Creek Ranch" and got nothing.
ttha_aggie_09
AG
I might be missing a particular inside joke but I believe everyone is referring to the level of exposure bird dogs have when quail hunting, particularly with beginners.

I know of a few guys that have lost dogs to some dumbass that shot one, unaware of line of sight and location of the dog.

Quail hunting is intense and despite people being experienced hunters, the erratic flight pattern and spontaneous covey flushes, can push people into bad decisions. Some people panic and just shoot immediately at first available shot... combine that wih pen raised birds (that even if raised in a fly pen) tend to make short and low flights. This is not good if you have a dog chasing right behind.

TLDR:

It's a freaking bird... if you're not sure where he he'll people, dogs and property are before you shoot, don't freaking shoot. I'm not killing anyone over a damn duck/quail/chukar/pheasant, etc.
Mark Fairchild
AG
Been and hunted there. OK, put and take birds, DEFINITELY pen raised! Species that are not native, do not fly well. A VERY CONTRIVED hunting experience. The food is, however, EXCELLENT! Would not go on my own nickel.
Gig'em, Ole Army Class of '70
Sean98
AG
AgLA06 said:

I feel like I'm missing an inside joke here. I googled "guide shoots hunter that shot dog at Joshua Creek Ranch" and got nothing.
Not trying to answer for the others but the old, half joke/half not line to start a lot of hunts with strangers is, "We only have a few rules around here... Rule 1 - don't shoot the guide. Rule 2 - don't shoot the guide's dogs. Rule 3 if you break Rule 2, you better go ahead and break Rule 1 because if you shoot my dog I'm going to kill you."
AgLA06
AG
Oh, I get that. There were just so many similar posts for it I started to wonder if there was a Dick Chaney imposter employed there or something.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.