Outdoors
Sponsored by

Anthrax deer kill. Anybody had any?

2,274 Views | 7 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by dolch
agneck
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Haven't seen any in val verde county in 12 years but when it happened it wiped us out. Any in Edwards or Kinney counties, or others?
Bottomfeeder
AG
I hunt in Edwards County near the Val Verde County line and haven't seen any in the 7 years I've been there. To my knowledge there hasn't been any in the area for a very long time.
agneck
Carta valley area? I'm south of 377 on fm 2538
Bottomfeeder
AG
NW Edwards off of 277
ursusguy
AG
There was a fairly isolated outbreak in Kinney County last year.
AgsWin979
AG
haven't seen a case in some time, but I did see a couple of deer at the tap on Wednesday
valverde03
AG
I assume you mean 2523...not 2538. We have some property nearby, and have not had a noticeable outbreak in several years. We find dead deer every year that were young, though. My understanding is that it is a spore in the soil that can survive a century. The best management to avoid a significant outbreak is to vaccinate your stock, spread water sources, and not overgraze. This is our practice and I think it keeps it is equillibrium.
95 Buzzbait
Montell, south of Camp wood , in uvalde county. I wanna saw mid 1990's, we had it and it knocked out the horses sheep and goats as well as the deer. On the 5000 acres we hunted, we went 2 years without seeing a deer....

3rd year we started seeing a few deer, and the 4th year, deer were back but the deer were bigger bodied and antlers were much better....it was like "south Texas" deer moved north to fill the void....those were our observations....
dolch
AG
no anthrax for us in Lavaca. But we did have a season that a case of Hoof Rot moved through.
Killed 4 of our 5 best bucks and not sure how many does. Really seemed to set in during the rut and mostly affected 4+ year old bucks.

It really sucked.

Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.