Outdoors
Sponsored by

Whooping Cranes in Lubbock area - Sandhill hunters be alert!

3,959 Views | 23 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by nillbors likensoaxe
CanyonAg77
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Lone Star Law Facebook
Quote:

ATTENTION LYNN AND LUBBOCK COUNTY SANDHILL CRANE HUNTERS, GUIDES, and OUTFITTERS!!!

There are now TWO Federally endangered whooping cranes that have been confirmed in the Wilson area of Lynn County. Please be knowledgeable about species identification prior to pulling the trigger on a crane. One is radio collared. The other is not.

One of the comments
Quote:

I wonder how much my taxidermist charges for one of those

BurrOak
AG
We hunted up there for cranes yesterday morning. 6 man limit in about 20 minutes. The guide said he has just heard of 2 in the area.
Cuterebra
AG
Wematanye is with you, and with Texas.
AggieGunslinger
AG
Nice reference of a classic episode.
jtp01
AG
I lived just south of Wilson on FM 400. The cranes were so plentiful, they became a nuisance with how loud they were.

Really cool there is some whooping cranes there now
CanyonAg77
AG
The wildlife refuge near Muleshoe has had as many as 250,000 cranes there at once.

Did you grow up at Wilson? Grandparents lived out that way, have some relatives still there, the Houchins and Corelys.
Hoss
AG
Are Sandhills good to eat? I'm be heard of people hunting them but have never imagined a crane would taste very good.
Log
AG
I had some donated to me by chocolatelabs, and I can attest, if cooked right, ribeye of the sky
CKeith21
AG
There's a reason they are called the "Ribeye of the sky." They are delicious. I'll eat them over duck or goose any day.
BurrOak
AG
Haven't tried any of mine yet, but the breast meat does look like beef. Nothing at all like a duck or goose.
DuckDown2013
AG
Those obnoxious things were thick the last few years at the deer lease in eagle pass. They will ruin a hunt in a hurry!
flashplayer
AG
It cooks a lot like venison backstrap. Don't believe me?

You should've seen the looks on the faces of all my Christmas party goers when they learned they hadn't just finished off a whole plate full of fried backstrap cubes.

It tastes really good and you don't have to doctor it up with anything but salt and pepper. I'd prefer it over any bird that flies the sky and even a few that walk the ground.
BurrOak
AG
Grilled a couple of breast halves on my infrared grill this evening. Salt, pepper, garlic powder, and covered with oil. Grilled it to medium rare, and man this stuff was tasty. I would compare it to eating a medium rare beef sirloin. The wife was blown away by how good it was, and requested that I go crane hunting more often. Overall some of the best wild game meat I've eaten.
OnlyForNow
AG
First photo is stock... neither of those birds have a radio collar on.
CanyonAg77
AG
OnlyForNow said:

First photo is stock... neither of those birds have a radio collar on.
Take it up with "Lone Star Law"
Secolobo
AG
They will decimate a wheat field by pulling up every plant.
Can I go to sleep Looch?
CanyonAg77
AG
Secolobo said:

They will decimate a wheaf field by pulling up every plant.
Haven't ever had enough sandhils to do that. Snow geese, on the other hand.....
elnaco
AG
I've shot plenty of sandhills before but never seen a whooper in real life before. Seems like it'd be really easy to differentiate the two considering how slow they move but the ignorance and/or stupidity of some people never ceases to amaze me.
BlackGoldAg2011
AG
yea but you'd also think it would be really easy to differentiate a person and a deer...
EskimoJoe
CanyonAg77 said:

Secolobo said:

They will decimate a wheaf field by pulling up every plant.
Haven't ever had enough sandhils to do that. Snow geese, on the other hand.....

They come in and land on a circle and the whole thing will be gray. You can hear them for miles. They will wipe it out like geese. Farmersaround here will just about buy you ammo to sit out there and blast them. A lot of fun with a .204.
hurricanejake02
AG
...or so you've heard, right?
EskimoJoe
hurricanejake02 said:

...or so you've heard, right?

It's cleared with the game warden but you have to let the ones you shoot lie in the field.
Setters
AG
Since that can only be done under a Federal depredation permit, I would hope the farmer has one. Game warden has nothing to do with this. Also illegal to leave anything laying in the field regardless of whether it's taken under a license or permit. Only thing different is what can be done with carcass. And lastly I'd be surprised if any permit issued was valid during the season. They're typically issued to times when the season isn't open.
ursusguy
AG
Yeah, that doesn't really add up.
nillbors likensoaxe
AG
On a Sandhill crane hunt years ago with my son. We got put with another father/son. These were two of the biggest goobers I have ever encountered in my entire life. The story is even better because these idiots both went to t.u.

The set up to how all this happened is too long. Suffice it to say that we were kind of spread out.

Two whooping cranes just show up out of nowhere. They come right over me, headed right down the line of shooters. And, they can't be more than 40 feet high. My son is about 17 at the time. I tell him not to shoot. He starts to raise his gun, recognizes the birds and realizes what I said, and doesn't shoot. He then realizes these two guys down the line are about to start shooting. He's yelling his head off but these clowns have all kinds of hearing protection in place. They both stand up and just unload their 12 gauges on these whooping cranes. We are completely horrified, just knowing these birds are dead and somebody's going to jail. Turns out these fellas weren't too good with a shotgun. As far as I could tell (and confirmed by my son who was much closer to them), they never cut a feather. Neither bird ever acted like it caught so much as a single piece of shot.

We laugh about those clowns every time we see/hear sandhill cranes! To this day we don't know how those guys didn't kill both of those birds.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.