Outdoors
Sponsored by

do you have to shoot mechanical broadheads at target?

2,123 Views | 10 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by NRH ag 10
sportsfan100
How long do you want to ignore this user?
do I have to shoot my mech broadheads at a target to be accurate?

I am shooting Wac Em mechanical. Will it fly that much different than my field tip?

and if I shoot my broadhead at the target, will it mess up my broadhead?

this is my target:

LRHF
AG
Yes, use the practice heads. It is harder on your target but necessary. I typically pick a side for broadhead practice or use a different target. It is really important that you practice and tune your bow for broadheads you plan to shoot (even if they "fly like field points").
Fishin Texas Aggie 05
AG
would you feel bad if you pooched a shot at a P&Y deer?
OhAggie98
AG
The Yellow Jacket broadhead target holds up to broadheads pretty well. Just don't shoot fieldpoints into it, as they can be a PIA to remove from the target.
yaterag
AG
Yes you should practice with your broadheads. They will fly slightly different than a field point. Mine fly 1-2 inches lower than my field points at 30 yards. I thankfully have some practice broadheads (mechanical shape but non functioning) that I can practice with. I don't know if your target is mechanical friendly but it should say somewhere in the description.
Ag210
AG
I have the same target and shoot rage hypodermics at it, I normally shoot the practice broadbeads but have also shot the "real" broadheads with no issues. I have also shot a few qad exodus fix blade broadheads at it with no issues. Keep in mind that the broadheads will wear out your target faster. If your broadheads are hitting different than your field point you may want to "broadhead tune" your setup.
C4D
AG
Dont shoot mechanical broadheads

End of thread.

I have now proven the finest of mechanicals inadequate for ethical hunting two different seasons. NEVER, NEVER,NEVER again. I was stupid enough to convince myself two different times that mechanical broadheads were the way to go. They sinply are not.

Only experience will teach you this. Because they sure are sexy. Dont take my word for it.
gillom
AG
Rage and what other brand?

Sean98
AG
C4D said:

End of thread.

I have now proven the finest of mechanicals inadequate for ethical hunting two different seasons. NEVER, NEVER,NEVER again. I was stupid enough to convince myself two different times that mechanical broadheads were the way to go. They sinply are not.

Only experience will teach you this. Because they sure are sexy. Dont take my word for it.
Unless you are a child, shoot a child sized bow, or are hunting water buffalo this simply isn't true.

There are a lot of quality mechanical and fixed blade broadheads options on the market. And quality shot placement with a quality broadhead will provide quality results. I kill 3-5 Kansas whitetails and 1-2 turkeys per year with my bow. And over the past 10 years all but 3-4 of them have been with mechanical broadheads, the vast majority of them with Rage 2 blade or NAP Spitfires.
helloag99
Sean98 said:

C4D said:

End of thread.

Unless you are a child, shoot a child sized bow, or are hunting water buffalo this simply isn't true.

There are a lot of quality mechanical and fixed blade broadheads options on the market. And quality shot placement with a quality broadhead will provide quality results. I kill 3-5 Kansas whitetails and 1-2 turkeys per year with my bow. And over the past 10 years all but 3-4 of them have been with mechanical broadheads, the vast majority of them with Rage 2 blade or NAP Spitfires.

You don't kill elk
shaynew1
AG
oof shots fired
NRH ag 10
AG
I do... With a 2" cut rage hypo.

Posting from a tent while trying to fall asleep, forgive me if the size of the photo is ridiculous.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.