Outdoors
Sponsored by

Anyone have a really good Carne Guisada recipe?

9,154 Views | 25 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by country
jobu93
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I may be living on the wrong side of the tracks, but I freaking love Taco Cabana's carne guisada. I'm wondering if the OB has some kick ass recipe out there?

Simple is good, kind of like dem good beans.
always gig em
AG
this guy is in

vital to my interests....
skelso
AG
I am lazy, I use Bolners Carne guisada seasoning.

One of my favorites is brown cubed pork, sprinkle with Bolners seasoning, toss in skillet, add 1 bottle cheap salsa verde and simmer for a few hours of cook all day in crockpot.
Max Power
AG

http://www.homesicktexan.com/2009/01/carne-guisada-tex-mex-stew.html
GeronimoAg
AG
Good timing, OP! Planned to make some this weekend and was about to text the wife for her grandma's old recipe. I'm interested to see what the OB can come through with.
ought1ag
AG
https://www.fiestaspices.com/blog/carne-guisada-with-only-four-basic-ingredients/

Ii buy fiesta brand and do what it says on the side......I use deer meat though and its Bad A!!!
Duncan Idaho
Fidos

https://texags.com/forums/67/topics/2119344
Na Zdraví 87
AG
ought1ag said:

https://www.fiestaspices.com/blog/carne-guisada-with-only-four-basic-ingredients/

Ii buy fiesta brand and do what it says on the side......I use deer meet though and its Bad A!!!
This! But no deer meat for me.
aggie orbitalwelder
HEB has the easiest Carne guisada I have found,its in a bag in the market .Meat seasoning and gravy just cut bag poor into skillet. It is a little pricey!
87Flyfisher
AG
Duncan Idaho is correct. Click the link and follow Fido's recipe.
Tony Franklins Other Shoe
AG
Didn't read all the Fido's input, but if you brown your own meat (I know, PHRASING) add a little bit of baking powder with the flour and get that good brown color going. It makes some damn fine flavor on the meat and in the scrapings.
Dirty-8-thirty Ag
AG
Get a package of beef stew meat or deer, one white onion, 1 Serrano, 1 jalapeno and 2 Roma tomatoes. Also a beef bouillon cube and some flour.

Brown meat, once meat is browned cut veggies in half and place on top of meat and steam vegetables over medium heat with a lid.

Once veggies are steamed, blend or use molcajete and turn into an almost salsa like consistency. Heat up water and mix bouillon cube until a broth is made. Mix broth and salsa into meat. Mix flour in to thicken as you like and cook on low all day.

Best meal ever. Can be heated up more and done much quicker, but is always better when done all day.
hellapark
AG
Fiesta brand is too easy and too good to fool with doing it any other way. Unless you just want to make it from scratch.
Bolners are all good ags to boot.
Bottomfeeder
AG
Bolners Fiesta for us too. I cube venison backstrap or ham steaks that are already tenderized. It's fast and easy and my family absolutely loves it. It's the first thing my daughter asks me to cook when she comes home from
College.
Post removed:
by user
CE Lounge Lizzard
AG
I'm curious to see if B1 has a contribution to this topic.
CE Lounge Lizzard
AG
jayelbee said:

If you click on the fido link, B1 throws in with Homesick Texan, sorta
Many thanks
mrad85
AG
I made Fido's recipe yesterday, but added diced carrots and potato about 30 minutes before meat was done. Loved it!
gillom
AG
This thread inspired me. Pulled some venison outta the freezer. Cubed it up. Combined high points of each recipe. Currently simmering. Smells delicious.
jobu93
AG
I did the homesick Texan recipe and it was really good. I would probably cut down on the water by a half cup next time but that's the only revision.

Check that.

I looked at some other recipes and i added some paprika and it made a positive difference.
GrapevineAg
AG
Same here, only I don't have any venison in my freezer this year so I used beef. It was delicious. Can't wait to have leftovers tomorrow when it should taste even better.
gillom
AG
Turned out as good as I expected.
rlb28
AG
aggieorbitalwelder said:

HEB has the easiest Carne guisada I have found,its in a bag in the market .Meat seasoning and gravy just cut bag poor into skillet. It is a little pricey!
this is the answer. I put some pico de gallo in with it. Usually sbout $8 for a bag and it feeds our family of 3.
nillbors likensoaxe
AG
Do a google search "just a pinch carne guisada Emma Menchaca." It will take you to a recipe by Emma Menchaca that she says came from her grandmother. It is absolutely the best carne guisada ever made.
CE Lounge Lizzard
AG
I made the Bolner's Fiesta recipe on Friday and it was pretty tasty and pretty low effort. I look forward to checking out some of the other recipes on here later. I trust FIDO and any recipe for carne guisada submitted by Emma Menchaca.
country
AG
AMP87 said:

Do a google search "just a pinch carne guisada Emma Menchaca." It will take you to a recipe by Emma Menchaca that she says came from her grandmother. It is absolutely the best carne guisada ever made.

This is the absolute best answer if you grew up on great guisada made along the border. It's simple as heck and the flavor is spot on. All the other dishes referenced are great but they all have different flavors. The one Emma Menchaca gives is authentic as heck.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.