Outdoors
Sponsored by

Mounting First Deer

2,689 Views | 13 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by BradMtn346
OldSoully
How long do you want to ignore this user?
How many of you have your first deer mounted?
AgResearch
AG
I have the basket rack in my garage unmounted. It was a big SOB with a tiny rack.
Apache
AG
Just antlers on board. Coolest thing about it is my Dad wrote all the hunt info on the back:
Where & when killed, what rifle, distance, & with who. I suggest everyone do this... great idea.
ought1ag
AG
first buck was a horn mount.

the first shoulder mount was a basket 8 that had a drop tine (looking back I probably shouldn't have shot it, but that was about 25 years ago and I still haven't seen another one with a drop that I could have shot.....so I kinda am glad I did)

since then I have had 3 deer shoulder mounted.

a 7pt with a 21" spread, a 10pt I killed after taking over my grandfathers spot on our lease after he passed away and then my first bow buck which was a 9pt.
OldSoully
It was my first time hunting and a 10 pt which I'm told would score around a 132ish.

So I'm assuming I should spend the money and get it done because I don't know if I'll have another chance at one like that.
Papa_Blaze
AG
I'd like to see pics of this fellow. I think at the end of the day you do what you want to do. The bucks I chose to have mounted are trophies to me but probably not to others. If your first buck means a lot to you, which it should, mount that guy however you wish
ought1ag
AG
OldSoully said:

It was my first time hunting and a 10 pt which I'm told would score around a 132ish.

So I'm assuming I should spend the money and get it done because I don't know if I'll have another chance at one like that.
none of mine would score over 130 but I am proud as heck of them........that being said, I say you should pull the trigger and get it shoulder mounted. every time I look at mine I can vividly remember the day and it brings back tons great memories.
AggiePetro07
AG
OldSoully said:

Get it done.
BlueSmoke
Quote:

Yep. Do it. Mt first mount is a simpel shoulder mount. Also a 10pt. Also close to 130. Still has the tag wrapped in bailing wire about one of the main beams. Taxidermist asked if I wanted to keep it on - adds to the memories.
Nobody cares. Work Harder
76Ag
Player To Be Named Later
AG
Take it out for a nice dinner first
ttha_aggie_09
AG
You should mount it! Two things:

Don't go with a full sneak form (taxidermist will know what that looks like - it's horrible with a few exceptions)

Look at wall pedestal mounts. They are my go to now and worth the extra $15/form or $40-50 premium from the taxidermist.
Log
AG
I would mount the first deer that you say "Wow!" over. I've had a few of those, and they weren't my first few. Mainly because the ones I've had mounted came off of public land or family land that isn't known for big deer. Pics below.

I would also add, think about how you would like them to display on the wall of both your current house and potential future residences. You don't want them turning away from the room; think about left vs. right turns. You want them to look you in the face when you are walking in. Whether you do a pedestal or semi-sneak (as represented next to each other in my pics), think about how you want them to interact with each other. And don't be afraid to do a Euro mount.

Also, consider doing skullplates mounts on barnwood; they turn out looking really good.

AgsMnn
AG
As tall as you are, how do you walk through your house and not hit half of those?

Also, how is the new addition?
BradMtn346
Absolutely do it. If you get a bigger one some day, it is ok to have 2. I have not been hunting white tails long and I have 3 shoulder mounts and one really nice horn mount. My first was a 7 point. First really old deer I'd killed.

The only other advice, make sure you like the taxidermist's work. There is nothing more expensive than bad taxidermy.
Refresh
Page 1 of 1

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.