Outdoors
Sponsored by

Question for you guys with a lot of guns - combo rifle?

3,184 Views | 47 Replies | Last: 6 yr ago by dfdogfood
TylerAg98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm in the market for a good jack of all trades rifle that will be used for hogs, deer, coyotes, etc. in East Texas. My two main questions are:

1. If you had NO guns and this was your purchase, what caliber would you choose and

2. Would you go with a semi-auto (AR platform) or bolt action and why?

Also, most likely will not be taking any shots past 500 yards and that would be the extreme max distance (most likely in the 100 - 300 yard range). I'm trying to factor in ammo cost and availability as well. I may also add a suppressor one day and possibly some form of night optic.
BenderRodriguez
AG
I'd go with an AR in 5.56
MouthBQ98
AG
Suppressor and special optics - AR platform. 5.56 with a lower ratio barrel so you can shoot a pretty wide variety of ammo including the heavier stuff.

Otherwise you could go with a .243 or a lever action 30/30.
TylerAg98
AG
MouthBQ98 said:

Suppressor and special optics - AR platform. 5.56 with a lower ratio barrel so you can shoot a pretty wide variety of ammo including the heavier stuff.

You're not playing by the rules! If you could choose only one, which one would it be?
Tx-Ag2010
AG
Suppressed bolt action .308 if I had to pick one gun (I may be biased as my TacOps XRay51 is pretty much my baby). I have yet to run into a situation where the speed of my reloading cost me a shot.
You can load stupid quiet subsonic rounds or full power rounds for axis/elk.

If I hunted areas with open fields an AR would definitely be the better choice.

highvelocity
AG
My vote is an AR-10 for your application
Owner of Texas Strap Company use code TEXAGS for 15% off
www.txstrapco.com

Sales Director for BCA Firearms
www.bcafirearmstx.com
BrazosDog02
AG
Probably the easiest question ever posed here.

.30-06 in a bolt action.

If I can only have one then it has to be a suitable round for any game I might take in a strong, reliable action. For this purpose I don't want any ar15, ar10, or semi auto bull***** I think the novelty of an AR platform is cool for paper punching or combat but for hunting, I prefer a regular rifle. I prefer the balance, stability, and practical format for the purpose posed.
Neches21
Bolt action .30-06.

Although.... if your shooting range was 100 yards or less then I'd recommend a 12 gauge. You can hunt everything in East TX with a 12 gauge from birds (dove, turkey, ducks) and small game to hogs and deer with buck shot and slugs.
And to rile up the board you could use it for home defense too
BenderRodriguez
AG
If he's said one gun to hunt anything in North America you'd be slightly more correct.

30.06 for varmints in east Texas? Lol

Typical texags answer. "Hey guys what would be best for these specific criteria"

"I'm not going to read your criteria and just respond with my personal preferences."
Neches21
Quote:

To be fair, a .223 would be overkill and destroy most varmints as well.

BeardofZeus01
AG
.308. AR platform if you do want to add night optics and supress. Ammo is everywhere.
FSGuide
I'd get one of them combo guns that has shotgun barrel on bottom and rifle barrel on top. 20G / 5.56

Ogre09
AG
.30-06 bolt action
BCStalk
AR15 with a red dot and suppressed
agfan2013
AG
I'd go .308 or 30-06 if I could only have one, jack of all trades gun. .308 could be bolt or semi auto (AR-10), 30-06 would be bolt. Both are good calibers that can take down anything and use a .30 cal suppressor. If you're doing more varmint hunting, may lean .308 as the smaller bullet might not completely blow a coyote/prairie dog/whatever in two....
Apache
AG
Quote:

If you're doing more varmint hunting, may lean .308 as the smaller bullet might not completely blow a coyote/prairie dog/whatever in two....
Correct. You don't want to ruin the meat.
FIDO 96
AG
.308 bolt that is suppressor ready. My Ruger Gunsite Scout is may favorite do-It-all rifle. I have a 3-9x40 scope in QD rings for deer hunting, but can swap It out with an Eotech If I want to go the RDS route. I usually load a 5rd magazine, but if SHTF I have some 10rd'ers. Is It as fast as my ARs, no, but it's more accuracy, as light to carry and much more simple to maintain. Plus, it's been as much fun to modify as AR, but you are limited on options.
SWCBonfire
AG
For what you said minus suppression, .25-06 bolt action.
BlueSmoke
Bolt-gun. Something like the 700 SPS that has a vast array of after-market options and is reasonable cost out of the box. Mate with some decent glass. Great all purpose platform. I'd start here.

And these are not mutually exclusive. Only a matter of time before you get both. AR gives you different options. Obviously you have recoil and follow-up shot (5.56) advantages. There is also the home defense angle as well.

I'd say having a good .308 and a 5.56 is the perfect set up.

Getting into night optics and suppressors is where you start getting expensive. I'd spend money initially on both platforms and decent optics.
Nobody cares. Work Harder
JR69
AG
Bolt action .30-06 - the most versatile round available. For varmints, Remington Express Accelerator - 55 grain with sabot.
P.U.T.U
AG
Not sure about where you hunt but where I hunt in east Texas there are very few 500 yard shots. Was hunting a .308 but kept running into groups of hogs so went with an AR in 6.8. Taken a few deer, pigs, and coyotes with ease. A .223/6.8/.308 would all work fine
MGS
RED III said:

MouthBQ98 said:

You're not playing by the rules! If you could choose only one, which one would it be?

Lever-action AR
BlueSmoke
You laugh, but there was a pump-action AR on the market for a while. Doubt they are still around, but they were there at one point.
RFD
AG
I never saw the need for an AR until I bought one, now I have 3 AR's that make the trip to the ranch every weekend.
Bradley.Kohr.II
AG
Bolt-action 300 Win, with a threaded barrel.

If its legal to use a rifle to hunt, it will be legal to use in that country/area, and its easy to add a suppressor for places/guides that require it.
CT'97
AG
BrazosDog02 said:

Probably the easiest question ever posed here.

.30-06 in a bolt action.

If I can only have one then it has to be a suitable round for any game I might take in a strong, reliable action. For this purpose I don't want any ar15, ar10, or semi auto bull***** I think the novelty of an AR platform is cool for paper punching or combat but for hunting, I prefer a regular rifle. I prefer the balance, stability, and practical format for the purpose posed.
The only thing you might change would be a .308 bolt gun. But you can get a lot of light loads for 30-06 that make it perform like a .308.
CactusThomas
AG
A cz bolt action in 22 mag would be ideal for your needs if it weren't for asinine laws prohibiting rimfire use on deer.
TwoMarksHand
AG
agfan2013 said:

I'd go .308 or 30-06 if I could only have one, jack of all trades gun. .308 could be bolt or semi auto (AR-10), 30-06 would be bolt. Both are good calibers that can take down anything and use a .30 cal suppressor. If you're doing more varmint hunting, may lean .308 as the smaller bullet might not completely blow a coyote/prairie dog/whatever in two....
30-06 and 308 use the same bullet. .30 cal
Fishin Texas Aggie 05
AG
RED III said:

I'm in the market for a good jack of all trades rifle that will be used for hogs, deer, coyotes, etc. in East Texas. My two main questions are:

1. If you had NO guns and this was your purchase, what caliber would you choose and

2. Would you go with a semi-auto (AR platform) or bolt action and why?

Also, most likely will not be taking any shots past 500 yards and that would be the extreme max distance (most likely in the 100 - 300 yard range). I'm trying to factor in ammo cost and availability as well. I may also add a suppressor one day and possibly some form of night optic.
as you can imagine your choices are limitless.

if you wanted a bolt gun consider the 6.5 creedmoor. here is a very serviceable configuration
https://www.remington.com/rifles/bolt-action/model-700/model-700-magpul

if you wanted a semi auto i would go with a 6.5 or .308. this option below offers you a lot of end user options
https://www.stagarms.com/stag-10-22-6-5-creedmoor-bones/

if you wanted a gun for north america then id get a 300 wing mag
https://www.remington.com/rifles/bolt-action/model-700/model-700-5-r-stainless-threaded-gen-2
BrazosDog02
AG
BenderRodriguez said:

If he's said one gun to hunt anything in North America you'd be slightly more correct.

Typical texags answer. "Hey guys what would be best for these specific criteria"

"I'm not going to read your criteria and just respond with my personal preferences."
LOLWUT. Maybe our idea of 'varmint' is different? I thought I read it very clearly.

Quote:

I'm in the market for a good jack of all trades rifle that will be used for hogs, deer, coyotes, etc.
agfan2013
AG
TwoMarksHand said:

agfan2013 said:

I realize that, as before that statement I noted the same suppressor can be used. Guess i shouldve specified bullet grain being bigger as well as the casing.
BlueSmoke
Pretty sure he is referring to a lighter grain - but yes, they are both .30 cal. '06 can accomodate up to 220gr. One is a long-action, the other short. Slightly reduced recoil in the 308 (which can offset by the weight of the rifle). For your stated needs, virtually no difference between the two.

Both. Will KEEEL.
TwoMarksHand
AG
agfan2013 said:

TwoMarksHand said:

agfan2013 said:

I realize that, as before that I noted the same suppressor can be used. Guess i shouldve specified bullet grain and casing.
dodger02
AG
I love my suppressed .308 AR-10. It's going to the deer lease for the first time tomorrow. The only downside is that it is a bit finicky with ammo and sometimes has FTF issues that can be a PITA. I'll have my bolt .308 with me just in case.

I think the .308 bolt with a threaded barrel is my choice. Just be careful that the weight isn't too much for you.
BCStalk
I've had good luck with Hornady Custome Lite in my suppressed AR10. Hasn't given me any problems hog hunting. Also might consider an adjustable gas block if you haven't tried that.
Page 1 of 2

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.